Wedding Woes

WTF MIL

DEAR ABBY: I’m writing to ask what’s the classy way to handle a touchy situation. My mother-in-law lives with my husband and me because she’s financially unable to live on her own.

She sometimes goes away on trips and vacations with her church and “boyfriends.” About a month ago, I noticed several items of nice clothing and shoes had gone missing. I asked if anyone had seen them and got a negative reply.

Well, I saw some pictures of my mother-in-law from a recent trip that someone had posted online, and she was wearing some of the missing items. She has since returned, but they haven’t been returned. I haven’t confronted her about it yet, but I need to figure out how to get my things back without blowing my top.

She does this frequently. They usually turn up after about six months, in places I know I didn’t put them.

How do I put a stop to this once and for all? Please help me! — UPSET FASHIONISTA

Re: WTF MIL

• I would politely ask, "Have you seen my <fill in the blank>? I really would like to wear it tomorrow." That would give her a chance to return it.
  • I would definitely say something (what OWK says above sounds good), and if she denies any knowledge, I'd be hitting her with the evidence. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Yea - my closet would be under security code lock (the MIL can find a key) and jewelry in a security box and I'd be talking with H about a "MIL Suite" renovation so that they'd have a wall between eachother...  Essentially - it's theft, the evidence is clear as can be, time for a "Come to Jesus" moment and her H better be on board or it'd be close to a deal breaker!

• SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I'm with short+sassy. MIL needs a come to Jesus moment.

I would never judge someone for being from a low income situation itself, but if *you* are living with my family because you cannot afford otherwise, yeah, I'm going to judge all of these trips. And stealing is never the answer.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards