Registry and Gift Forum

Reasonable Price for Electric Kettle on Registry?

A short question for anyone interested in answering: 

At what price would you start side-eyeing a couple's choice of electric kettle they put on their registry?

You know how sometimes you're looking at an upcoming wedding's registry, see a certain product on it, and think, "They're asking for a [such and such] that's $[such and such absolutely absurd amount]?!!!" Maybe that's just me. Not judging the couple for it, more judging the company that it would sell a product for so much more expensive than others.

My family and I have never had electric kettles, but through my fiance I realized how really great one would be for my life. I have literally no idea how much people generally pay for them, how much you would pay if you want a high quality one, and if there's a point where the price just gets silly. Is there a limit to how much you think a person should ask for a kettle as a wedding gift, and if so, what is it?

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Reasonable Price for Electric Kettle on Registry?

• JediElizabethJediElizabeth member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited April 2016
    You can get one for as low as $25, but I wouldn't really side-eye a nice one for around $100. I think a registry is the place to put the nice versions of things you'll use forever, and if no one buys you it, you can still get the cheap one that's more of a pain, or that you'll have to replace sooner rather than later. 

It's like a mixer: I still have the $20 hand mixer I've been using for a decade. I use it pretty often, and it works fine, though it would be a lot easier to have a stand mixer, given how much I bake. I'll register for a KitchenAid mixer, and if we don't get it, that's fine. Maybe FI & I will decide to use cash gifts on it (with a registry completion discount), or maybe I'll use the hand one. No one's obligated to pay the $300+ to get it for me, but it doesn't hurt to ask for the good one if it's something I'll use all the time, and will be a real upgrade. 
  • SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I think it is fine to put some more expensive items on the registry, as long as you have a range of item prices. A lot of people use their registry for the completion discount, so I tend to assume that is what the couple is doing if I see something on there that I think "whoa! that's expensive!".

Part of it is know your crowd/family. But in general, I would lean towards choosing higher end items. The idea of buying a wedding gift is not to buy you something you're going to throw out or discard in a year or two because it's broken/worn/not very good. The idea is that guests are helping you build your home together and want to give you an item you will have for years to come- something that you will remember your wedding and them by. As a guest I *want* to buy you something that is good quality and is going to last. I might not be able to afford to buy you a KitchenAid stand mixer myself, but I wouldn't judge a product like that- it is functional, high quality, and you're going to keep it until it finally stops working.

We had a fairly large registry, as most of our stuff was second hand/ dollar store/ Walmart items, so we used to registry to make a lot of upgrades. Very few guests bought off our registry; most gave cash. With the completion discount, we were able to use those cash gifts to complete our registry- I'm not going to lie and say it wasn't awesome.

We put an electric kettle on our registry- it was somewhere between $100-150. The kettle allows you to change the temperature that you heat to, which is awesome for brewing different kinds of tea. I am a big tea drinker, plus we use it for oatmeal, hot chocolate, etc. I use my kettle 2-3 times per day.
  • SP29 said:
    I think it is fine to put some more expensive items on the registry, as long as you have a range of item prices. A lot of people use their registry for the completion discount, so I tend to assume that is what the couple is doing if I see something on there that I think "whoa! that's expensive!".

This!  DH and I stuck a couple of higher end house gadgets (a wine fridge, for one) on our registry solely with the idea that we'd use the one-time discount to get them after the wedding.  I wouldn't judge two or three bigger ticket items on a couple's registry, provided those items make sense for the couple and don't seem like a blatant cash grab.  For example, we had the wine fridge; SIL had a pair of expensive sleeping bags but they're hikers and wanted a long-lasting, high quality upgrade. My sister wanted a bunch of top of the line baking stuff, and I fully support as someone who loves the final product.

In the context of the couples registering, their higher priced item choices made total sense.  They were taking the opportunity to get some last a lifetime products in areas important to them.  Now, if they had been something like a big screen TV or an expense piece of workout equip, it might have felt weird, because it wouldn't have suited either couple.

I'd say find the kettle you want based on your understanding of usage, reviews, etc. and just go from there.  If you get, it great; if not, completion discounts are there for a reason.
    Anniversary

• CaitFins said:
    A short question for anyone interested in answering: 

At what price would you start side-eyeing a couple's choice of electric kettle they put on their registry?

You know how sometimes you're looking at an upcoming wedding's registry, see a certain product on it, and think, "They're asking for a [such and such] that's $[such and such absolutely absurd amount]?!!!" Maybe that's just me. Not judging the couple for it, more judging the company that it would sell a product for so much more expensive than others.

My family and I have never had electric kettles, but through my fiance I realized how really great one would be for my life. I have literally no idea how much people generally pay for them, how much you would pay if you want a high quality one, and if there's a point where the price just gets silly. Is there a limit to how much you think a person should ask for a kettle as a wedding gift, and if so, what is it?
    I think if Everything on your registry was over-the-top expensive, I might judge.  But items in several different price ranges are good.  Lots in the $10-50 range, several in the $50-150 range, and a couple items over $150 sounds like a very reasonable registry.  Sometimes I like buying one large item, sometimes it makes me happier to get several smaller items.
  • My daughter had a large registry with a variety of price points. They put an item on there was expensive - around $500 thinking they would buy it with completion discount. It was one of the first wedding gifts they received! They were shocked. So, you never know. I would definitely not side-eye a $150 electric kettle especially if I knew you were a tea drinker. 
  • $200 would seem excessive to me. 
  • My BFF put the $225 Breville kettle on their registry so they could buy it with the completion discount.  It's beautiful.  Someone actually bought it for her.  Everyone who knows her and her family knows that they are really into tea.

If there are a few big ticket items, I don't care.  If there's a ton of stuff that is expensive, but not a lot of mid-range, or cheaper items, then I'll side-eye.  

• I think my daughter has the super expensive one from her wedding gifts.  They love tea.  I have a cheap one, and it is just fine.  I don't get it.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards