Wedding Woes
Options

THIS is the definition of "free range parent"? Really?

Dear Prudence,
I have a 4-year-old daughter who attends a neighborhood preschool. My neighbor has offered to walk my daughter with hers to school. I have taken her up on the offer a couple of times, but she is a “free range” parent and will let the little ones walk a good 20 to 30 feet in front of her. While I am not a helicopter parent, I think it’s dangerous not to have someone under the age of 6 walk right with you. I want to say something, but I am not sure how. Help!

—At Close Range

Re: THIS is the definition of "free range parent"? Really?

• Options
    6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    I thought the letter writer was going to say she was fine with her preschooler walking to school alone, but the neighbor is offering (implying the writer is a bad parent).  20-30' in a sidewalk? that's not even a house away.  I might feel different in NY city, but otherwise...
  • Options
    I think my only concern in this situation would be if the child runs into the street.  I cannot imagine these 4yos are walking more than a few blocks to school.

"And when they use our atoms to make new lives, they won’t just be able to take one, they’ll have to take two, one of you and one of me..."
    --Philip Pullman

• Options
    It's none of her business how the neighbor parents and if she doesn't like it then she needs to walk her own kid... 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Yeah...no. That's not even vaguely "free range", that's just "a normal person". 
  • Options
    GBCKGBCK member
    I'd think this is totally variable by kid.
    Buffy is the sort of kid who I allow to run a block ahead, because if I tell her to stop at the curb, I can bet she will.  My cousin the same age, not so much.  (and cousin isn't a bad kid, just...Buffy is afraid of her own shadow, cousin has no fear.  Different personalities).

So no juddging, do what you think works for your kid, if you don't want them doing x with your kid, do y yourself and turn down the help.
  • Options
    mrsconn23mrsconn23 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited April 2016
    But why be reasonable and measured when you can write a hand-wringing letter to Prudie, @GBCK?  I mean, gosh...it's like you think that people should parent the way they see fit or something.  :D
  • Options
    GBCKGBCK member
    true true.  The bad advisor should do this one.

I get the stink eye on occasion for letting Buffy run free, and I've gotten it for encouraging her when she's going up the slide wrong.  But sheesh, she's an uptight kid, and having her branch out is SO hard for her.  I'll take the stink eye.
    I got the beginning of a talking to for letting her go to the "ride for $.01" pony @ meijer by herself when she never leaves my line of sight, but I think I looked to mean and they backed themselves out of conversation and ran away.
    She was willing to let go of my leg and go by herself, of COURSE I'm giving her the damn penny and saying to go
  • Options
    6fsn6fsn member
    I get the stink eye all the time for a million and one reasons.  I have pretty much given up caring. 
  • Options
    Crap! What kind of parent am I? I let my 3 year old walk a half block in front of me walking back from the store or park. To be fair, it's not a busy neighbourhood and we know all the neighbours.
  • Options
    GBCK said:
    I'd think this is totally variable by kid.
    Buffy is the sort of kid who I allow to run a block ahead, because if I tell her to stop at the curb, I can bet she will.  My cousin the same age, not so much.  (and cousin isn't a bad kid, just...Buffy is afraid of her own shadow, cousin has no fear.  Different personalities).

So no juddging, do what you think works for your kid, if you don't want them doing x with your kid, do y yourself and turn down the help.

This!  DD vs. DS - even though they're quite distant in age - I trust DS's instincts better than DD's!
  • Options
    You know, I'm thinking back to my kid days and I had to stand next to Mom during store visits and I'm sure walking down the street too.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards