Wedding Woes

4 friends in the world

Dear Prudence, 
I have an old friend who has dated a string of sexist, alcoholic, and sometimes abusive men. I love her dearly, but she will never leave a relationship, no matter how toxic or abusive. While I must respect her choices as an adult, it pains me to see how her they have impacted her children. Throughout the years, I have dropped out of the picture when I could no longer take the chaos that is her daily life. She has been very hurt by these absences, because she feels a friend should be there no matter what. I see things differently: She is an alcoholic who loves toxic environments and refuses all attempts at help. After some time, I decided to break things off with her. In the fallout, she told our mutual friends that I am a terrible friend. I said nothing. Now I can tell that she wants to reconnect. I know that she is lonely and misses me. I miss her as well, but our lives are in very different places. I don’t know how frank I can be with her without completely hurting her feelings. What should I do?

—Reaching Out

Re: 4 friends in the world

• DTMFA, and stay dumping. Jeez. This is not hard, people. 
  • If nothing has changed from when you first ghosted the friendship, leave it ghosted.
  • Honestly, this touches home a little bit. My bff and I were peas in pod but at some point I couldn't hang any more and had to get my life together. He and I didn't talk for months, maybe almost a year while I did this. I never stopped loving him and valuing his friendship even if we were on different paths or if he made decisions I wouldn't make. He knew that I was always there to listen and crack jokes with. I had no problem telling him if I thought he was doing something really stupid but I also knew that I could not control or change him. It is really hard to sit there and love someone who is leading a distructive life but if they have no outside perspective it will be even harder for them to get out of it. 
  • If she is in recovery, and is trying to go through the steps, I would give her another chance.  Unfortunately it doesn't sound like that's the case.  Since nothing has changed, LW should continue on like she has been doing.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards