Wedding Woes

What? Speak the hell up.

Dear Prudence,
I have been at my current job for over eight years, and recently gave one month’s notice. I have a large amount of institutional knowledge, manage a great deal of work, and interact with several clients daily. Despite my generous notice, my boss has done nothing to transition my work to other people, and he hasn’t let my clients or most of my co-workers know that I’m leaving. My last day is Friday. At this point I feel I won’t be able to say goodbye to anyone or help transition my projects. I’m also starting to worry that it will damage my personal and professional relationships by essentially disappearing. I’m also slightly worried that my boss’s plan is to just email/call me with any questions she may have after I leave, assuming that I will basically keep working for them in my spare time.

—Boss in Denial

Re: What? Speak the hell up.

• I don't work in a corporate world so please excuse me if this is a stupid question, why can't LW let people know s/he leaving?
  • bleve0821bleve0821 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited April 2016
    NMPD, Not My Problem, Dude.

ETF Blonde moment.

"And when they use our atoms to make new lives, they won’t just be able to take one, they’ll have to take two, one of you and one of me..."
    --Philip Pullman

• So this is sort of happening to my mom. She's retiring and she's been at her employer for like 20 years. They just hired her replacement. And she has to send back her stuff to the company today. So Mon/Tue/Wed she did some training but she said to her bosses, "sorry, after Friday I'm done and I'm not answering your calls/emails".

LW just needs to ignore them. They are adults, they can figure it out.
  • GBCKGBCK member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ^this is what just happened to me.
    Minus the emails (I had a few, but basically theyr'e just pretending my job can be ignored.  I did take a few calls/emails from oldboss).
    Not my monkeys.
    But damn is it painful.  To watch things I poured my soul into languish because I gave more than 3 weeks notice (and stayed 2 weeks beyond when I wanted to) in order to pass off info and have them do NOTHING with that--and watch things I worked so hard at that are going to just...die. 

But there's nothing to do about it.

• I don't work in a corporate world so please excuse me if this is a stupid question, why can't LW let people know s/he leaving?
    Different companies do things differently, but often places prefer to let the manager deliver the news that someone is leaving. I know when I turned my notice into HR I was told to wait to tell anybody so that our manager could be the one to tell everybody.

• It's not OP's problem. She gave more than sufficient notice. If I were her, I wouldn't be answering the phone if they call.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards