Wedding Woes

FWP Friday!

HeffalumpHeffalump member
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
edited April 2016 in Wedding Woes
A place for Friday thoughts and/or FWP.

All of my Friday things are FWP.  So it turns out DS really likes Spanish--he soaked it up like <that>.  So I'm looking for language classes, and they're all in the middle of the freaking workday.  And I had the same problem when I was looking for a music class for him.  (This kid loves music, he is obsessed with the new piano.)  Like, WTF?  I wish I spoke something worth teaching him, but all I speak is German, which amused my grandfather (his parents spoke German), but that was about all it was worth.  (It was marginally useful when I worked for a German company, but considering all of their English was better than my German, we pretty much stuck to English.)  DH took Russian in college, so yeah.

Prince's autopsy is scheduled for today, yes?

Re: FWP Friday!

• I don't have a FWP, but is very selfish of me.  DH has chronic back issues.  For the past month, he has had pain so much so that many days he isn't able to do much besides move from the recliner to the bathroom.  He had an injection last Thursday and had relief for almost a week.  Now the pain is back.  He is waiting to hear back from his Dr. on other options.  There are so many things that need to get done around our house and now they all fall to me.  I know it's not his fault, but geez, I hate that I've had to take care of everything by myself lately.  Ugh.  

Chronic pain is terrible and I'm hoping he has relief soon!
  • I have a pretty sad FW non-problem. I take the train downtown for games and where I lived before, it was the perfect distance for a large McDonald's Coke and rum. Now I live half hour further on the train so I will need to determine how much more to drink.

H and I both took German in high school. I remember like four words. I keep saying that we should finish learning German.

Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Ugh, everything for DD is during the day. Working parents want to do fun things with their kids too!

My FWP is that I can't decide if I want to take a whole day or a half day off. I am volunteering for something at DS's school that's in the afternoon so I do need to take time off, but I realized if I take a whole day I can do a few chores (like get an oil change) that need to be done. But then I have more to catch up on. 
  • My FWP - I'm annoyed that Son's tournament this weekend is in a certain place because there's nowhere good to eat there.

• I'm flying to NYC to meet my friends tonight.  I should be looking forward to it, the trip has been on the books for months, but I'm not.  I have a confession, and not even FH knows about my secret.

I am terrified of flying.  I don't have panic attacks or anything, and for the most part, I'm okay once we're in the air, but taking off and landing and turbulence and I just HATE.  IT.  The whole day (or night) before the flight, I'm just an ants-in-my-pants fidgetmess.

MB went to the vet yesterday for a chest x-ray, and it turns out his heart is a little more enlarged than it was in January, and there's a little more fluid in his lungs, so we upped his meds a little.  Back in October, his cardiologist gave him 6 months, so I am knocking on wood he makes it through the summer.  I'm not ready to make the tough decisions I know I'll have to, and I know no amount of warning or time to prepare will help when it is time, but still.  I guess that's my FWP.

But, at least it's Friday, and I have TWO WHOLE DAYS of NOT WORKING to look forward to.

"And when they use our atoms to make new lives, they won’t just be able to take one, they’ll have to take two, one of you and one of me..."
    --Philip Pullman

• MNNEBride said:
    I don't have a FWP, but is very selfish of me.  DH has chronic back issues.  For the past month, he has had pain so much so that many days he isn't able to do much besides move from the recliner to the bathroom.  He had an injection last Thursday and had relief for almost a week.  Now the pain is back.  He is waiting to hear back from his Dr. on other options.  There are so many things that need to get done around our house and now they all fall to me.  I know it's not his fault, but geez, I hate that I've had to take care of everything by myself lately.  Ugh.  

Chronic pain is terrible and I'm hoping he has relief soon!
    @MNNEBrideI think DK is in the same boat as you right now with me being sick for the last month. He's had to take on more stuff at home. I planned a surprise trip for him and Wolverine for next weekend since I've been pretty useless for the last couple of weeks. I'm hoping I'm well enough by then (and that the weather cooperates) so we can enjoy ourselves. 

My FWP is that the flooding has shut down all of the N/S roads for about a 10-15 mile span. We live dead center in that area, so I had to drive miles out of my way and sit in horrendous traffic to get to work today. The office is dead, so there's no way I'm sticking around long enough to see how bad afternoon rush hour is. It took me almost 2 hours to get here, which is a 300% increase on my normal working Friday commute. We didn't have any water damage from the floods, and we're all safe, but they aren't anticipating re-opening the roads for at least 4-6 weeks, assuming that the weather cooperates. 
  • edited April 2016
    @AtomicBlonde hope you have fun on your trip! 

I completely understand what you mean, @Heffalump and I don't even have kids. For the amount of people that work 9-5, you would think industries would cater to them more. I used to work in a field with non-traditional hours and it was amazing. I never had to worry about time off to go to the doctor or wait forever for an oil change. I also didn't live in the bible belt so I get irrationally irritated when I have to hunt for a salon open on a Sunday or fucking e-mergy care. I hate crowds and will avoid places I love because I am not used to not being able to go when they are quiet, like the art museum. I was a member but never wanted to go on the weekend but they close at like 6pm during the week. Wtf?

Sorry for ranting. I am not feeling it today. I am side-eyeing everything and shouldn't be allowed around people.

Edited because I suck at spelling.
  • @AtomicBlonde I also don't like flying.  I basically grip the arms and then make myself go to sleep.

I also feel the pain of activities during the day.  There is an awesome travel & book group that meets at 1 pm at a specific library.  I so want to go and it will never be possible.

I had a really rough night.  I started getting screenshots/messages as shit is rolling downhill from this friendship breakup and as people are finding out former friend is now dating former DH.  People are pissed, lines are now being drawn, sides are being picked, and there are going to be ruined friendships over this.  And I find I don't care anymore.  I'm frustrated, angry, and hurt at this entire situation, my emotions over the last six months are overwhelming, and I'm ready to let the chips fall where they may.  There isn't one thing out there from me that is a lie.  I might not always look "nice" (as one criticism has now been).  You know what?  Fuck nice.  Nice is nothing.  Nice doesn't get shit done.  Nice doesn't accomplish things.  Nice doesn't lead.  Nice doesn't change anyone's mind, life, or the world around them.  Nice isn't what has your back, saves your life, or holds your shit together.  

One of my friends posted this to me:  "
    Villains drive the plot forward.   See the situation objectively? Cold bitch. Make the tough call? Heartless bitch. Acknowledge our own emotional vulnerability? Whiny bitch. Do all three? GREATEST EVIL EVER.  Zeus save me from partners who cling to mediocrity and stagnation like they're a life raft, then scream victim when the strong women who KEPT THE FUCKING RAFT AFLOAT FOR YEARS rescue themselves."

Last night, all I could of this was this:  https://youtu.be/aasECsxrSzQ

Um..../rant?
  • @Heffalump - I took French in high school.  I lived in Michigan, so it made sense, since I was in close vicinity to french speaking areas of Canada.  I remember very little of it.  Then I moved to Arizona, and now I really wish I had taken Spanish in school instead.

@MNNEBride - I feel bad for you and your DH.  I suffer from chronic back pain. I feel horrible for my husband on my bad days and often feel like I'm unable to pull my weight around the house. I've been very lucky that he is sympathetic and doesn't complain much, but I know it annoys him at times. For some of the stuff around the house, is it feasible for you to hire some help?  Lately DH and I have been talking about hiring a maid, even just once a month, to do some of the deep cleaning stuff (showers, dusting, etc) that I have a hard time with.  I feel bad that DH gets stuck with a lot of it and sometimes it's worth the cost to get some help with those things. We don't need them to clean the whole house, just a few of the more labor intensive items, so the cost to have them come in for a couple hours once a month isn't much. Maybe something to consider?

My FWP... DH and I have been wanting to go fishing for about the past month.  We keep saying "we'll go this weekend", but the weather won't cooperate.  It's gorgeous during the week, but it's been getting windy every weekend, which is not great for taking the boat out.  It has been 3 weeks straight of gorgeous weekdays and cooler/windy weekends.  Already, the forecast for next weekend is looking like more of the same.  And pretty soon, it will just be too hot to go.

But, I am currently reading 11/22/63 by Stephen King.  I did a digital library rental on it and it has a wait list on it, so I can't renew it.  Based on my current reading speed with it, I think my rental is going to run out a day or two before I finish it.  I don't want to buy it, because that defeats the point of me waiting to get it from the library in the first place. And I don't want to go back on the wait list and wait a month to finish it.  So, at least my weekend is now free for me to concentrate on getting ahead on my reading, so maybe I'll finish my book on time. I'd rather be reading it from the middle of the lake though.

• @princessleia22 If you can watch the miniseries on Hulu, I think it's been really quite well done so far (I haven't finished it).  I'm a pretty big James DeFranco fan, so IDK if that makes a difference or not.
  • 6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Yesterday was so absolutely shitty I'm choosing  be positive today. Tomorrow is our 11 year anniversary. I'm feeling good about my body. I had a dream I was at a party with v

• @MNNEBride - lately DH and I have been talking about hiring a maid, even just once a month, to do some of the deep cleaning stuff (showers, dusting, etc) that I have a hard time with.  I feel bad that DH gets stuck with a lot of it and sometimes it's worth the cost to get some help with those things. We don't need them to clean the whole house, just a few of the more labor intensive items, so the cost to have them come in for a couple hours once a month isn't much. Maybe something to consider?

@princessleia22 - That's an awesome suggestion. I've been trying to get DK to agree to this for years. He can be overly frugal, so while we can afford it, he hates spending money on something we can do ourselves. I have chronic migraines, and while he's awesome and understanding, I know he gets frustrated picking up the slack when I don't feel well. I made a deal with him a while back that when I get 2 more promotions, I was going to hire someone. Just got a promotion this month, so I need to start calling maid services. :-)
  • @Heffalump - I took French in high school.  I lived in Michigan, so it made sense, since I was in close vicinity to french speaking areas of Canada.  I remember very little of it.  Then I moved to Arizona, and now I really wish I had taken Spanish in school instead.

I grew up in CA, where learning Spanish was the norm. I took three years of it in high school, but I had shitty teachers so I quit before senior year. I really wish I had stuck it out longer, and I wish I took classes in college. As it is now, I can understand Spanish if people speak VERY slowly and use simple words; I can speak a little bit, but my vocabulary has become very limited. 

MY FWP of the day: I just ordered Frye boots off Amazon, and they won't be here until Tuesday. I want them NOW! I am also really proud of myself for getting them for $40 of my own money, after we got a 20% off coupon code in the mail, I got at $10 Amazon gift card for filling out a car insurance quote online, I redeemed $20 MORE in Amazon money from filling out surveys for Ipsos, and my grandmother-in-law gave me $50 for my birthday. I am treating them as an early birthday present, which is awesome since they will arrive before my bday!

Other FWP: I want it to be NEXT Friday! My birthday is Thursday, and I am working that day, but next Friday is my Treat Yo'self day. I have a gift certificate for a massage that my BFF gave me last year and I forgot about it, so I am going to get my hair cut, and then go get a massage and lounge in the sauna for a while, and then H and I will go out to dinner. But I have to wait a WHOLE week for all of this.
    BabyFruit Ticker

@MNNEBride - I feel bad for you and your DH.  I suffer from chronic back pain. I feel horrible for my husband on my bad days and often feel like I'm unable to pull my weight around the house. I've been very lucky that he is sympathetic and doesn't complain much, but I know it annoys him at times. For some of the stuff around the house, is it feasible for you to hire some help?  Lately DH and I have been talking about hiring a maid, even just once a month, to do some of the deep cleaning stuff (showers, dusting, etc) that I have a hard time with.  I feel bad that DH gets stuck with a lot of it and sometimes it's worth the cost to get some help with those things. We don't need them to clean the whole house, just a few of the more labor intensive items, so the cost to have them come in for a couple hours once a month isn't much. Maybe something to consider?

My FWP... DH and I have been wanting to go fishing for about the past month.  We keep saying "we'll go this weekend", but the weather won't cooperate.  It's gorgeous during the week, but it's been getting windy every weekend, which is not great for taking the boat out.  It has been 3 weeks straight of gorgeous weekdays and cooler/windy weekends.  Already, the forecast for next weekend is looking like more of the same.  And pretty soon, it will just be too hot to go.

But, I am currently reading 11/22/63 by Stephen King.  I did a digital library rental on it and it has a wait list on it, so I can't renew it.  Based on my current reading speed with it, I think my rental is going to run out a day or two before I finish it.  I don't want to buy it, because that defeats the point of me waiting to get it from the library in the first place. And I don't want to go back on the wait list and wait a month to finish it.  So, at least my weekend is now free for me to concentrate on getting ahead on my reading, so maybe I'll finish my book on time. I'd rather be reading it from the middle of the lake though.

I loved that book and couldn't put it down so I read it in a little over 24 hours (helps that I don't have kids at home anymore so weekends are mostly mine). 

I took French in high school and college but have been studying Italian on line for a few years. I find I'm much more diligent learning Italian than I ever was French. The wisdom of age I suppose.

FWP, I've been waiting on a window washer to give me an estimate for doing our windows. He has postponed twice. Don't think that bodes well but the other quote I got was pretty high. So here I sit.
  • bleve0821bleve0821 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited April 2016
    FWP: I picked the slowest line to get through airport security. I've been waiting in line for over an hour now, so it's NBD anymore, but I would like to get to my gate before the plane leaves.... In half an hour. 

God, I really hate flying.

ETA I made it, barely, and now I'm exhausted... if I'm not careful, it's entirely likely I'll wind up in France instead of NYC. Can't decide if this is a problem or not.  I only speak Latin.

"And when they use our atoms to make new lives, they won’t just be able to take one, they’ll have to take two, one of you and one of me..."
    --Philip Pullman

• My FWP is I have a 4-day weekend (my birthday is Tuesday) and I have to go to the Registry - IN PERSON - on Monday to renew my license, when I'd rather sleep in and get a pedicure.
  • *Barbie* said:

@MNNEBride - lately DH and I have been talking about hiring a maid, even just once a month, to do some of the deep cleaning stuff (showers, dusting, etc) that I have a hard time with.  I feel bad that DH gets stuck with a lot of it and sometimes it's worth the cost to get some help with those things. We don't need them to clean the whole house, just a few of the more labor intensive items, so the cost to have them come in for a couple hours once a month isn't much. Maybe something to consider?

@princessleia22 - That's an awesome suggestion. I've been trying to get DK to agree to this for years. He can be overly frugal, so while we can afford it, he hates spending money on something we can do ourselves. I have chronic migraines, and while he's awesome and understanding, I know he gets frustrated picking up the slack when I don't feel well. I made a deal with him a while back that when I get 2 more promotions, I was going to hire someone. Just got a promotion this month, so I need to start calling maid services. :-)
    Yeah, we could probably afford a more regular maid if we wanted, but we are pretty frugal also and really don't want to spend the money on it.  But, after discussing it, I think we've decided to compromise and just get them to come in to do the major stuff, maybe once a month or so, instead of having them come all the time to clean.  It's really for the big stuff that I physically can't do (scrubbing the tub is just not possible for me with my back) and feel bad about passing off to DH.  The small cost for that is worth not having to stress over doing things that are more difficult for us.

I loved that book and couldn't put it down so I read it in a little over 24 hours (helps that I don't have kids at home anymore so weekends are mostly mine). 

I took French in high school and college but have been studying Italian on line for a few years. I find I'm much more diligent learning Italian than I ever was French. The wisdom of age I suppose.

FWP, I've been waiting on a window washer to give me an estimate for doing our windows. He has postponed twice. Don't think that bodes well but the other quote I got was pretty high. So here I sit.
    I'm about 1/3 through it and I'm really liking it so far.  I would love to just sit and read it straight through, but I have work and a husband who gets jealous if I spend ALL my time reading.  I'm hoping to get a good way through it this weekend though.

• Preliminary autopsy results are done for Prince but they stated that they won't release the findings until the labs come back (sounded like standard procedure just in case)...  Which - they said (Carver SO) could be a couple weeks..

Gosh dang -

Heffalump said:
    A place for Friday thoughts and/or FWP.

Prince's autopsy is scheduled for today, yes?

• *Barbie* said:

@MNNEBride - lately DH and I have been talking about hiring a maid, even just once a month, to do some of the deep cleaning stuff (showers, dusting, etc) that I have a hard time with.  I feel bad that DH gets stuck with a lot of it and sometimes it's worth the cost to get some help with those things. We don't need them to clean the whole house, just a few of the more labor intensive items, so the cost to have them come in for a couple hours once a month isn't much. Maybe something to consider?

Yeah, we could probably afford a more regular maid if we wanted, but we are pretty frugal also and really don't want to spend the money on it.  But, after discussing it, I think we've decided to compromise and just get them to come in to do the major stuff, maybe once a month or so, instead of having them come all the time to clean.  It's really for the big stuff that I physically can't do (scrubbing the tub is just not possible for me with my back) and feel bad about passing off to DH.  The small cost for that is worth not having to stress over doing things that are more difficult for us.

I'm about 1/3 through it and I'm really liking it so far.  I would love to just sit and read it straight through, but I have work and a husband who gets jealous if I spend ALL my time reading.  I'm hoping to get a good way through it this weekend though.
    Luckily I have a husband who enjoys reading too. We often sit next to each other and read! How romantic!
  • My FWP is that I'm having a hard time deciding if I'm going to fly or drive to see DH next time. His job is changing locations and it's right at that line where driving and flying would take about the same amount of time (due to layovers, security, etc.)

• 6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    My FWP is I have a 4-day weekend (my birthday is Tuesday) and I have to go to the Registry - IN PERSON - on Monday to renew my license, when I'd rather sleep in and get a pedicure.
    Ours isn't bad, but we also have an option to go to a KIOSK to renew things!  I'm actually kind of excited I weigh the same as the weight I lied about last time.
  • So I'm tardy to the party today, but it was a equally great and hard day at work. We have a week left in the semester (and I'm leaving the job at the end of May). It's absolutely the right decision for us to leave and move to the new job, but today was our scholarship and awards ceremony and it was hard. I love my colleagues, they're fantastic people to work with, and I like the new department but it's getter sadder to be leaving. I keep trying to explain to H that I can be crazy happy and super sad all at the same time; stoked for the new job, but also really going to miss the people here. So my FWP is that I have have to leave my great job for another great job. 
  • My FWP is that we'll actually have nice weather Sunday so I have to clean up the yard. Also, I got paid today and dropped an absurd amount of money on dog and cat food, bird seed, peanuts for the squirrels, and gardening tools.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards