Attire & Accessories Forum

What's wrong with David's Bridal?

2»

Re: What's wrong with David's Bridal?

• edited February 2016
    I tried David's Bridal, I really did, I wanted to like them. I went in and registered with them all the while they tried ridiculously hard to get my fiance's info while I declined over and over that no they did not need his name, address, number, email because I was the one getting a dress....not him ;)
    They put me in a tiny 4 X 4 foot 'dressing room' and left me there to struggle.
    The salesgirl came back with platform heels. Really tall platform heels for a gown with a giant train. I being the naive newbie put the platforms on.....and almost went toppling right off the stage. They kept offering me different ways to pay and offering me cheaper gowns, until finally I stated that I would be paying outright. They were rude, and annoying. 
    So I went to a boutique where I got a nice 9 X 9 foot dressing room with a robe, cushy chairs, a great incredibly tolerant owner helping me along the way, and an on site seamstress. The gown with the boutique was only $100 more than David's Bridal.
    Just my two cents! :)
  • I got my dress from David's bridal. No issues. I did buy a corset bra and slip, but I wanted to those items (I asked for the slip). The offered a veil, I said I wasn't wearing one, they didn't push any further. 

I did get my alterations done there, and the woman I worked with was great. She actually helped me pick the dress size. The consultant took my measurements and I come out between two sizes, so she suggested the larger (which is fair, you can always take stuff in), but the alterations woman saw me in the dress, made a suggestion on the type of bra to wear and the dress size. 

The offered dress preservation, I said "oh ok, maybe later" and then never got it done. Dress came in quickly. No issues. 
  • I live in an area where there are only 2 bridal salons in a 50 mile radius, and no other towns beyond that...Plus, there's a DB.  I shopped online; I bought and returned 4 dresses, and finally, in desperation, went to DB.  I think  I spent a total of 20 minutes in the store--told my consultant what I was looking for, she pulled 2 off the rack--the first one I tried was too big (that's a shock--never happens to me)--she pulled it in a smaller size, I tried it on and bought it.  Already had the shoes, and I had plenty of undergarments, so I was good.  Loved my consultant, loved the dress--great experience for me.  I agree with PP who say you can't tell by looking at a dress what it cost--go with what makes you happy.
  • I got my dress from DB, and had a good experience at mine. However, I didn't go in with many goals for the dress-buying experience, either. I went dress shopping by myself (my mom and BMs all live long distance) just hoping to find a decent dress in my budget. The first place I looked in town was actually the thrift shop -- it sometimes has some very nice donated dresses, but sadly none were in my size or even near it. It was worth a look though. Went next to DB since it was closest to me. I learned it was their Semi-Annual Sale, and the consultant was incredibly friendly and helpful working one-on-one with me. We found a dress I loved that was on sale, it fit perfectly off the rack and hopefully won't need much alteration, and I'm super excited to wear it. I admit I felt a bit like a SS getting it, though -- it's the most expensive piece of clothing that I've ever worn, and it's for one day. My mom never got a "wedding dress" for this reason, and her 70's hippie reasoning makes some sense to me. I am so happy with my dress and feel very privileged to get to wear it. In retrospect, though, I could also see myself feeling quite pretty and happy getting a simple light-colored dress from the mall, too (I have decided that is my back-up plan if, God forbid, something should happen to my current dress). What I wear for my wedding just isn't worth a lot of drama in my mind. 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Nothing is wrong with DB! I have bought bridesmaid dresses there and went wedding dress shopping there. They have great customer service when you're a bride. (Only so-so when you're a bridesmaid, in my experience.)

I found that with wedding dresses, they had a lot of selection, but not exactly what I was looking for. Some of the dresses lacked "wow" to me, and some felt like lesser quality. But overall, I could have found a dress there that would have worked. (I had a similar budget to you.)

The thing is, don't eliminate other options. I fell in love with a dress on Pinterest and managed to get it for $1,100 (Canadian!!)... and not at David's Bridal. So I could have chosen a dress I was partially happy with for about $1,000 at DB, or instead got the dress of my dreams for $100 more from a "fancy" boutique.

My three pieces of advice:

1. SHOP AROUND like crazy. I looked for my dress used on Craigslist, Kijiji, PreOwnedWeddingDresses.com, and StillWhite.com. And I went in and spoke to 3 different bridal salons in 2 different cities. One of them offered to let me buy the sample for $1000; the shop I went with ordered me a new gown in my size for $1,100.

2. Ideally fall in love with a dress that's a bit "older", like 2014. They're more motivated to sell it that way. They won't discount brand new 2016 models as much.

3. Start super mega early. I started shopping a good 18 months before my wedding, and it gave me plenty of time to shop around a lot. Plus, I was immune to pushy sales people, because I knew I had time. In the end, I found my dress and the shop I wanted to do business with, but they offered me $1260. I walked. I came back to them 4 months later and we negotiated $1,100. If I'd been in a rush to get my dress right away, I wouldn't have gotten the deal.

• Like everyone has said, there is nothing "wrong" with David's Bridal, and I think it really depends on the store and your consultant. I have heard bad stories/reviews about customer service, but I loved my consultant/stylist. She was not juggling other brides and spent a couple hours with us both times we came in (and I'm pretty sure stayed past her scheduled time one of those nights). She was also very close to my size, which really helped because she had a good idea of what would look good on me. The dress I ended up choosing was the last one she brought us, and something I never would have picked off the rack or out of the magazine, but I loved it on myself.

We did go a bit over budget, which my mom was not happy about at the time, and I think somehow ended up with the only dress in the store not on sale (it was a "test run" of sorts, so they were trying it out to see how it sold and if they wanted to carry it on a regular basis). Having said that, I just had my alterations appointment and they came to $300 - much less than I was expecting, given that my dress has five layers of fabric at the bottom. It fit almost perfect, just had to take the boobs in a bit and hem it, neither of which were a surprise. A girl I work with bought her dress at DB for $550 and her alterations were $600, so I was terrified going into that appointment and relieved at a $300 pricetag. I also feel better with DB doing my alterations because if anything goes wrong, they fix it at no cost.

I will say it does become an issue when the dress costs X but then the veil, undergarments, preservation kit, etc. can all add up to a good $200-300 more. I don't really see how that wouldn't happen in other bridal boutiques though, especially since we ran into that with wedding vendors in general (catering being X dollars per person... oh, plus setup fees, utensils, staff, bartenders, etc.).
  • MrsH2016MrsH2016 member
    Name Dropper First Comment
    edited February 2016
    Personally, it depends on the DB location you choose to shop at. There is one by my parents' house, where I got my dress and they have been fairly easy to work with and their salespeople are very understanding and patient. There is a DB location I checked out closer to my residence, and the salespeople were rude and didn't want to give me the time of day. I will never shop there again.

I am a bride on a budget too, and I was able to find my dream wedding dress there. It was the first one I tried on, and even after going to several boutique-type shops, I went back to DB. The dress was also discounted on their website, and they were able to offer me the sale price, which made me (and my mom) very happy. I did have to make a few phone calls to ensure that would happen, but it all worked out. I got my shoes and veil there as well, but I was never coerced into buying them on the spot. I chose ones that were similar to my bridesmaids, since I wanted a pop of color with the dress, and they were just what I was looking for.

I had a little slip-up with alterations, but like @CMGragain said, it is all in the seamstress, and how skilled they are. They made my dress a little too tight in the back, but offered to fix the issue for me, with no hassle.
  • I pinned and googled for weeks before I went dress shopping. My FI's sister insisted we go to a boutique where her friends went for some of their dresses, and someone I work with insisted I go to the say yes to the dress place, because she "only spent 2500." My budget was $700 max, bc I thought alterations would run me about $300. So the first day of shopping I went to five stores--back to back, with margaritas in between for our 1.5 hour allotted lunch break. I hit up DB first, then a boutique, then two more larger stores including Macy's and Bloomingdales. Finally another bridal shop. Most dresses were my nightmare--ball gown, mermaid or trumpet, sweetheart strapless. I hated all of them. I wanted MY DRESS. I saw it on DB's app, and they didn't have any in stock except in two stores--Macon GA and some random place in Louisiana. Since I'm 90 minutes from macon, I went and bought it the next week. They tried to sell me all the doodadds but I know better... ;)

oh and I ended up paying $250. It was originally $900. 
  • I got my dress at DB and couldn't be happier. I didn't let them sell me anything else, though, and I did heed warnings here not to use them for alterations. 
    Same! They tried to sell me every accessory under the sun there and I was like just the dress please. "How about this keepsake box for 100 dollars only today!" Just the dress. I plan on getting my veil, jewelry and everything else from somewhere a little cheaper. I say go try on dresses at DB if you like one then buy it!
    The salespeople at the DB where I got my dress were appalled that I wasn't getting a keepsake box. I'm like..."why? It's not like I'm keeping it forever. I'll probably sell it to someone."
  • I bought my dress at David's Bridal and they were great! I had a dress that I'd liked online (checked all my boxes, illusion neckline, light weight, floral lace, tea length) that was the absolute top of my budget, so I was worried what it would cost with any needed alterations and what it would look like on. With the help of my stylist there, we grabbed a bunch of full length dresses that checked all the same boxes except tea length and I was able to get a light weight full length dress that fit like a glove that DB is hemming to tea length for me with the total price being $150 less than the other dress I'd liked (and it was more comfortable!) I appreciate the vision that the girl I worked with had to find something that fit and flattered me so well and would look good with the bottom chopped off.

I'd previously went to a boutique that kept trying to put me (5'3, short legged and long waisted) into drop waited dresses that I'd want to hem to tea length. talk about making me look squat and horrible! The girl at DB listened to what I wanted, looked at my body and chose flattering things.
  • kylexo said:
    I bought my dress at David's Bridal and they were great! I had a dress that I'd liked online (checked all my boxes, illusion neckline, light weight, floral lace, tea length) that was the absolute top of my budget, so I was worried what it would cost with any needed alterations and what it would look like on. With the help of my stylist there, we grabbed a bunch of full length dresses that checked all the same boxes except tea length and I was able to get a light weight full length dress that fit like a glove that DB is hemming to tea length for me with the total price being $150 less than the other dress I'd liked (and it was more comfortable!) I appreciate the vision that the girl I worked with had to find something that fit and flattered me so well and would look good with the bottom chopped off.

I'd previously went to a boutique that kept trying to put me (5'3, short legged and long waisted) into drop waited dresses that I'd want to hem to tea length. talk about making me look squat and horrible! The girl at DB listened to what I wanted, looked at my body and chose flattering things.

I always thought DB was big on not altering the look of the dress, so I'm surprised they allowed that kind of alteration (vs having to go to an independent seamstress). That's great it worked though and saved money!!
  • Just bought my dress from DB today, actually. I went in after getting engaged last week. I know it's quick, but I thought finding the dress was going to be liking pulling teeth. The girl who worked with me was awesome and kind, didn't pressure me at all. She looked at what we had liked and not liked and chose a dress that incorporated all those details. I was honestly in shock looking at myself because I never thought I would stumble into a dress so quickly.
  • edited March 2016
    Having been into several local Davids Bridal locations in my state I can attest, while their dresses may be quality...their service leaves PLENTY to be desired. I had two bad experiences at two different locations, cut my losses booked an appointment at Alfred Angelo where the service was impeccable and I ended up spending much more on my dress than I had initially planned on. David's Bridal employs very high pressure tactics to get you to purchase a dress. I was told that the dress I somewhat liked could be "discontinued tomorrow" in an ill advised attempt to encourage me to buy before I was ready...I came home to find that specific dress was new to Vera Wang's collection...it was in NO WAY at risk of being discontinued.

• Wow, these were some amazing responses! Thank you guys so much!

jacques27, I do like mixing high end products (NARS, MAC, Coach, etc.) with low end (Target, Forever 21, H&M...I shop at Macy's and people turn their nose up at it?!) so it's not really an issue to me.

I actually have been looking up David's Bridal dresses I really love. I think I'm going to go there first to get a dress since my budget is $1,000. We are already spending $17-$19k on the venues alone ($1,500 for the church ceremony and the rest to a swanky 4-star hotel that already provides catering), and yeah I'm bracing myself because I know how expensive the flowers and photography will be. Plus, I have student loans, have a huge dental bill to pay (I got sedated last month because I needed a lot of work on my teeth), and I'm still job hunting (I just graduated in college in May, and I just turned 26 so I'm off of my mom's insurance). 

I do hear that David's Bridal has poor service, but I researched the one in my area (Sacramento, CA) and that particular store has nothing but great reviews, and the consultants are amazing and kind. So I'm going to save the dresses and the style #'s so when I go there, I'll show them which dresses I want. Although I keep hearing that you will most likely end up getting the dress you think you will hate or vice versa, I really want a ballgown (not too poofy) with tulle, or an off-shoulder lace gown with sleeves (a-line or trumpet). I don't want mermaid because I am pear-shaped, and definitely not sheath for that reason (I used to envision myself in a sheath dress when I was 17–21, but even at my thinnest I still had curves, and I think it's not fancy enough for a hotel ballroom setting). I know you're supposed to keep an open mind, but I hope I do end up loving the dresses I choose.

Here's examples of the ones I like (from David's Bridal, all of which are within my budget):

Wow, these were some amazing responses! Thank you guys so much!

jacques27, I do like mixing high end products (NARS, MAC, Coach, etc.) with low end (Target, Forever 21, H&M...I shop at Macy's and people turn their nose up at it?!) so it's not really an issue to me.

I actually have been looking up David's Bridal dresses I really love. I think I'm going to go there first to get a dress since my budget is $1,000. We are already spending $17-$19k on the venues alone ($1,500 for the church ceremony and the rest to a swanky 4-star hotel that already provides catering), and yeah I'm bracing myself because I know how expensive the flowers and photography will be. Plus, I have student loans, have a huge dental bill to pay (I got sedated last month because I needed a lot of work on my teeth), and I'm still job hunting (I just graduated in college in May, and I just turned 26 so I'm off of my mom's insurance). 

I do hear that David's Bridal has poor service, but I researched the one in my area (Sacramento, CA) and that particular store has nothing but great reviews, and the consultants are amazing and kind. So I'm going to save the dresses and the style #'s so when I go there, I'll show them which dresses I want. Although I keep hearing that you will most likely end up getting the dress you think you will hate or vice versa, I really want a ballgown (not too poofy) with tulle, or an off-shoulder lace gown with sleeves (a-line or trumpet). I don't want mermaid because I am pear-shaped, and definitely not sheath for that reason (I used to envision myself in a sheath dress when I was 17–21, but even at my thinnest I still had curves, and I think it's not fancy enough for a hotel ballroom setting). I know you're supposed to keep an open mind, but I hope I do end up loving the dresses I choose.

Here's examples of the ones I like (from David's Bridal, all of which are within my budget):

LOL!!! Yes, that is exactly what happened to me...what I wanted was a simple mermaid satin gown with buttons down the back, I was very ANTI princess dress when I started...What I ended up with was this...yes that's right it's even called CINDERELLA and my MOH will not let me live it down...and the tulle...it's a sparkle tulle! LMAO

• My budget was $1200 and I had visited a few bridal boutiques. It was hard to find what I wanted in my budget and there wasn't a dress I was in love it. On a whim, I went to DB and found my dream dress. I just got married on Saturday and everyone complimented on how beautiful it was, even asking if it was from BHLDN since it was so ethereal. There are some hidden gems there. I was initially embarrassed to say that my dress was from DB and not some fancy designer, but I have no regrets! At the end of the night, my dress was pretty dirty being dragged on the ground and getting some wine spilled on it ;) So I'm glad I didn't spend a fortune on it, since it was only half my budget.
  • I don't think anything is wrong with DB, it's just what your personal preference is. I did not buy my dress at DB, I opted for a local boutique. I was a bridesmaid in my friends wedding last May and we actually bought our dresses there. I did not have a great experience. The woman that helped us was very rude and not very helpful. They didn't have a dress in my size so they gave me a size 12 sizes to big and had to pin it. (12 sizes is probably an exaggeration but you get it). She told me what size she thought I would be, but I felt I would be more comfortable in the size down. She basically without saying it called me fat and that "she wasn't sure if I would fit into the dress in time for the wedding". Low and behold I got the size she recommended and it was to big :neutral: just the way she went about it made me feel hurt so I decided to not use them. Plus, the closest DB to my house is 40 minutes away whereas the boutique I used is 3 minutes away. 

Again, it's all preference. I was engaged already when we picked out our bridesmaids dresses and while I was there we did look through the wedding dresses for fun and from what I can remember there was no difference in the way the dresses look. For reference, my friends dress was $900 and it looked like it would be in the high thousands. It's all in what you want!
  • I tried dresses at a boutique when my scattered family/maids where able to be there, and the store and attention was fun, but I ended up crying afterwards because I just was so disappointed with all the dresses they brought out. I got home (several states away) with no maids/family and told myself I needed to suck it up and just start trying on more... I went to DB just to see what they had. My consultant was awesome, the 5th dress I tried was the one, and it was the first time I actually felt like a bride. It was on sale from $500 down to high 300's because my budget was also 1000 and there's other stuff I care more about than the one-time wear of a dress. But I just found their options and range of prices great and was so incredibly excited to have found what I wanted. Plus it's a national company so I can wait until I'm in the state I'm getting married in to get my free steam. I didn't know they had issues with alterations until after my first fitting, so we'll see :S But my seamstress seemed to know what she was doing so I'm hopeful. I was skeptical but it was definitely a good experience so far.

• I just went to DB today! It was my second appointment (First one was at BHLDN).

I was honestly not a fan. I went just to get it out of the way and see if there's anything worth trying on (Since it's the biggest chain I thought I'd at least see what the fuss is about before I decide on my dress). There's nothing wrong with what they have, it's just not my style and I don't like how the fabric feels.
    I found a few dresses I sorta liked and tried them on, they felt very different to BHLDN dresses. At BHLDN they all felt very light and flowy, well made and I felt sooo beautiful. But at DB I didn't feel good in any dresses, they were uncomfortable and I didn't feel as happy. The people with me thought I looked nice in them, but they weren't wowed like in BHLDN. It could just be me and my own sense of style. The attendant disappeared a few times, so we had to figure things out ourselves. Overall, if you want affordable dresses that feel expensive with great customer service I'd go to BHLDN instead of DB. But if you find something you love at DB then more power to you, there should be no judgement, everyone's tastes are unique.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Going to DB is like going to MacDonalds for a hamburger.  Some will have fresh burgers and great service, but in others the manager will be gone, and the staff will be disorganized and a little rude.  No reflection on the MacDonalds chain as a whole.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Before I went to DB, I found the perfect dress at a local salon.  I decided to get it at DB because  could get it about $30 cheaper, could put it on layaway for less, and since I am getting married in FI hometown, I figured I could have it shipped closer if I needed to.  I had two appointments and was frustrated because I had to wait a while to be helped even when it didn't seem that busy.
  • edited May 2016
    We went to DB today for FW's dress. The staff were all incredibly helpful and nice and didn't bat an eye at two brides. MOH almost bought a dress from there too but was discouraged by the estimated 20-week wait time for a dress in her size.
  • I can only tell you about my experience. I saw other people on here not liking David's Bridal, and I couldn't imagine what the huge difference was. I found dresses I like in a catalogue, but first I went to some boutiques. I wanted to save money at David's Bridal, but honestly when I finally went there I could really feel a difference, they felt more cheaply made,the dresses I thought I liked didn't fit so well, or look so good on me in the store, and that was that.

That said I think it's about individual preference. Maybe if I had gone a different year there would have been more styles I would have liked. Who knows
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards