Chit Chat

Kelly Ripa fiasco

Can someone explain what's going on?  I tried googling why everyone's talking about her return yesterday and all I got was that Michael is planning to exit early.  Did she get mad at that?!?  Enough to not come to work for 3 days and do a speech about respect in the work place?  I don't get it.  I must be missing more of the story here.

Re: Kelly Ripa fiasco

• She walked off the set last week when Michael announced that he was going to GMA. Yesterday was her first day back on set since the incident, and then today Michael announced that he's leaving next month, rather than staying until September as originally planned.
  • Oh ok, so he announced it on air - and she didn't know?  Came out of left field?

• edited April 2016
    He didn't announce it on air. He told her and their producer off air last week. 
  • edited April 2016
    From what I read, she found out from Michael and the producers minutes before they went *on-air and was angry that they all kept the secret from it, and it made her feel like her show was second fiddle to GMA so she took a few days off.  She said after 26 years with the company, she deserved more respect.
  • Kelly and the producer were not told that Michael was leaving until 5 minutes before Disney made the official announcement that Michael was joining GMA full time.  I can see that as being disrespectful to both Kelly & the producer. 

TMZ has this all covered!  LOL!  Kelly and Michael have hated each other for years.  She didn't like that his career took off so much after he joined the show.  Also that Kelly "bullies" Michael off the air, etc.  Yesterday, they were reporting that Michael's last day would be May 13th, in part, to help get a jump start on finding his replacement and also was probably part of the deal Kelly made with Disney regarding their botched announcement. 

I know a lot of people really dislike Kelly, I'm pretty neutral overall.   But I do feel like Disney slapped her in the face by not telling her and the producer ahead of time about Michael's departure.  Or she should have at least been notified that this was going to be a possibility, but that all details haven't been worked out.  But Disney/ABC probably wanted to keep this as hush/hush as possible to make the official announcement so shocking.  The more people that know, the more chances there are of leaks to the press.

• I haven't been following that closely but as I understood it the part she was upset about was that he told her he was leaving only very shortly before the news broke publicly. It also seems that Strahan is being brought over to GMA to help win the ratings war against the Today show, at the possible cost of Live! 

I can understand being upset about that - Kelly has worked for the network for more than 20 years and they are willing to tamper with her show to get better ratings elsewhere and not even give her input on the decision. Probably pretty galling. It seems like her frustration is directed at the network and not Strahan himself. Probably isn't going to help that he's now going over even earlier than expected. 
  • Ditto @OliveOilsMom

Disney handled this incredibly poorly IMO.    She's the main face of the show and her name comes first after "Live".   She deserved more than the notice that she received.   I don't know that she she needed to be involved in the negotiations - that's a secondary debate.   But I think it's highly unprofessional to tell her right before she's supposed to be on air.   

So TMZ reports that once she got the news she already had a long weekend planned but opted to make that long weekend longer by essentially telling Disney to find someone else to sit there.  

She went back on the air yesterday to clear the air but the tabloids are reporting that Strahan's time is seriously limited now. 

• I agree with @OliveOilsMom and @banana468

I think she was hurt that there had obviously had to have been talks going on for a while and they left her in the dark until 5 minutes before the announcement? That's very unprofessional of them. I think she should have done the show, put on a smile and then took her vacation. If they hate each other as much as the tabloids have reported, they've been acting/faking it very well for a while now.

I think it is a good move for Michael to leave earlier than September. what kind of person needs a 5 month notice?

• Also, she only took one sick day, which was the day after the announcement. The rest of her time off was planned, as she and Mark Consuelos celeebrated their 20th anniversary.

I think that the network handled this poorly. AND, this isn't the first time she was blindsided, apparently she found out 15 minutes prior to showtime that Regis was going to be retiring.
                                 Anniversary
    imageimageimage

• pinkcow13 said:
    Also, she only took one sick day, which was the day after the announcement. The rest of her time off was planned, as she and Mark Consuelos celeebrated their 20th anniversary.

I think that the network handled this poorly. AND, this isn't the first time she was blindsided, apparently she found out 15 minutes prior to showtime that Regis was going to be retiring.
    Agreed. This whole thing is being blown out of proportion. And some sites referring to this as a "hissy fit" is total bullshit sexism. These stories wouldn't be written like this about a man. 

She deserved to know and not be blindsided. And I bet her anger is directed towards ABC/Disney and not Michael Strahan. 
  • pinkcow13 said:
    Also, she only took one sick day, which was the day after the announcement. The rest of her time off was planned, as she and Mark Consuelos celeebrated their 20th anniversary.

Agreed. This whole thing is being blown out of proportion. And some sites referring to this as a "hissy fit" is total bullshit sexism. These stories wouldn't be written like this about a man. 

She deserved to know and not be blindsided. And I bet her anger is directed towards ABC/Disney and not Michael Strahan. 
    I totally agree on all these points. But of course, the media has to blow it totally out of proportion.
                                 Anniversary
    imageimageimage

• She was pissed that they told her only a few minutes before the public announcement.  I also heard that they did the same thing when Regis left the show, telling her only minutes before the public announcement. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards