Attire & Accessories Forum

Help! How can I add length to this wedding dress?

I found my dream dress on Pinterest - and found out it was too expensive. This one: https://couture.clairepettibone.com/products/papillon I love the details on the back! It's just so special... And then I was lucky enough to find that dress on eBay preowned! It fits me perfectly, except that it's too short :( I'm 5'7'', and from the 2nd picture you can see with bare feet it's not touching the floor. I need to add 2-3 inches length to the front. Is it possible? It seems really hard to add lace, but would it be okay to add an underskirt or ruffle longer than the lace layer? Any help is much appreciated!!

Hle

Re: Help! How can I add length to this wedding dress?

• edited May 2016
    It looks beautiful as it is, but if you really want it floor-length, I'd go with a form-fitting underskirt. I wouldn't attempt to add anything to the dress, but then again, I don't sew. 

ETA:  You should definitely get an updo! Having your hair up will show off the details on the back of the dress.
  • It looks beautiful as it is, but if you really want it floor-length, I'd go with a form-fitting underskirt. I wouldn't attempt to add anything to the dress, but then again, I don't sew. 

ETA:  You should definitely get an updo! Having your hair up will show off the details on the back of the dress.
    Thank you OurWildKingdom! I'm definitely going with an updo! :)

As for an underskirt, I'm really unfamiliar with this concept... Aren't underskirts more for ball gowns? My dress is like between mermaid and sheath, would an underskirt work well on it? Also, is it okay for an underskirt to been seen? 
  • It looks beautiful as it is, but if you really want it floor-length, I'd go with a form-fitting underskirt. I wouldn't attempt to add anything to the dress, but then again, I don't sew. 

Thank you OurWildKingdom! I'm definitely going with an updo! :)

As for an underskirt, I'm really unfamiliar with this concept... Aren't underskirts more for ball gowns? My dress is like between mermaid and sheath, would an underskirt work well on it? Also, is it okay for an underskirt to been seen? 
    You're right, underskirts are more for ball gowns or swing dresses, but if you can find a floor-length pencil skirt or similar, no one will know it isn't part of the dress. But it really is gorgeous without it.
  • MesmrEweMesmrEwe member
    First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited May 2016

This is one time I'd say "Leave well enough alone!" It actually looks REALLY good as-is.  I think it "fits" at the present length and is going to be more fun at this length!!!  If anything, any "fix" or underskirt given the style you'd add would detract and look odd IMO. 

ETA: For dancing you won't have to worry about people stepping on it and ripping it...  You can wear whatever comfortable shoe you want instead of having to add a higher heel because it was too long, no alterations expense...  You get your Train and sweep it too!!!

• The only way to lengthen this dress is to add fabric at the knee seam.  It will be impossible to find matching lace.  It will also be a very expensive alteration, if it is even possible.  Don't do it!
    Wear flats at your wedding.  My daughter, who is 6 feet tall, wore ballet shoes.  You could decorate them with sequins if you like.  I think you will look beautiful!
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • What about going the totally opposite direction? Get some really great shoes & then shorten the front a little to give it more for a high low look. This way you still will have the long back but it won't look like you got a dress that is too short either.
  • I think you could easily just add an under layer/ruffle, attached at the knee seam perhpas, and no one would know it wasn't originally part of the dress. 

I also think the idea of taking the front up a little bit (just a couple inches) to give it more of a high-low look would be a great way to go about it...as it is it looks too short, but a little shorter in the front and it would look on purpose!
  • I honestly wouldn't have thought it was too short if you hadn't pointed it out. Even now that you have I think it looks fine, get some cute shoes that you want to show off. I had a floor length dress and the bottom of it got really dirty by the end of the night dancing so you wouldn't have to worry about that with your dress!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards