Wedding Woes

Today's four men...

Dear Prudence,

My husband and I moved across the country for his work. I hated the area. I became socially isolated, depressed, and venomous in my marriage. I recognized my part in a stressful relationship, sought therapy, found a new job. Our relationship did not improve. I asked if there was another woman. He said, “No.” A week later he came home one night, got drunk, and fell asleep on the couch with a death grip on his phone. I broke the cardinal rule of privacy and found out I was right: He was having an affair with someone at work. I packed up and left for a week. It was awful. I came back on the condition that he was not going to maintain any kind of personal relationship with that woman. Four months later, and of course they are “friends” now. My position is that with friends like that, who needs enemies; she’s on my permanent black-ball list. His position is that he is not doing anything wrong. There’s got to be a better compromise than “stop talking to her or we are getting divorced.”

—Looking for a Compromise

Re: Today's four men...

• Compromise...?  Like hell.
  • "There’s got to be a better compromise than “stop talking to her or we are getting divorced.” - I disagree.

Yeah I'll bet he's still sleeping with her.

Even if he's not, holy disrespectful to you wife, batman. You cheated on her, if you want to work it out and if you want to help her work through it, you do everything you can.

Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Either forgive him fully and move on (basically accept a poly lifestyle) or divorce him. Life is too short to carry insecurity, fear, resentment, and anger around. He is not going to stop seeing her.
  • So not only did he cheat, lie about the cheating, break his agreement not to talk to her, continue the affair, and lie about that too. Doesn't exactly sound like he's interested in working things out.
  • DTMFA.  I'm definitely reading into this, but I'd bet the husband is more emotionally abusive than is clearly spelled out here, in addition to the cheating. She moved for his job, was isolated and depressed, and she doesn't mention anything he did to help.  Yes, she's ultimately responsible for her own happiness, but a true partner should help.
  • DTMFA.  I'm definitely reading into this, but I'd bet the husband is more emotionally abusive than is clearly spelled out here, in addition to the cheating. She moved for his job, was isolated and depressed, and she doesn't mention anything he did to help.  Yes, she's ultimately responsible for her own happiness, but a true partner should help.
    Preach. 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • She moved for his job, was isolated and depressed, and she doesn't mention anything he did to help.  Yes, she's ultimately responsible for her own happiness, but a true partner should help.
    how? I'm curious. both DK and I have moved for the other, and have been in that place. if anything, my experience with those feelings when we lived in Philly helped me to understand where DK was after we moved to Houston. Honestly, it took him a solid 3-4 years to really start getting out there and meeting people/making friends. I did what I could to push him, but it was really on him to take the action, which was hard for him as an introvert. 

• *Barbie* said:
    She moved for his job, was isolated and depressed, and she doesn't mention anything he did to help.  Yes, she's ultimately responsible for her own happiness, but a true partner should help.
    how? I'm curious. both DK and I have moved for the other, and have been in that place. if anything, my experience with those feelings when we lived in Philly helped me to understand where DK was after we moved to Houston. Honestly, it took him a solid 3-4 years to really start getting out there and meeting people/making friends. I did what I could to push him, but it was really on him to take the action, which was hard for him as an introvert. 

We have a similar situation; we met in grad school so we always agreed whoever got the best job is where we would go. The first time was my offer, and he second while still my job, I applied in part because H was so excited about the area. He's an introvert so making friends was hard for him, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't help. If we ever moved for his job he wouldn't take the lead on us making friends or finding things to do, but in no way does that mean he wouldn't be there for me if I was having a hard time adjusting. 

That being said LWs H doesn't exactly sound like he was trying to make things easier for her. Screwing a co-worker isn't exactly the best way to make your wife more comfortable with your location. 
  • *Barbie* said:
    She moved for his job, was isolated and depressed, and she doesn't mention anything he did to help.  Yes, she's ultimately responsible for her own happiness, but a true partner should help.

I didn't mean just the moving part.  To me it reads like she had a hard time adjusting, and instead of helping her, he had an affair.  He could've invited her to hang out with his new work friends, encouraged her to find a job, planned outings for them to meet other people.  Or just spend more time with her

It's just a feeling I'm getting.  Maybe combined with her "of course now they're friends again," and her feeling bad about sticking to her, in my opinion, reasonable ultimatum for staying in the marriage.  It just doesn't sound like he cares about her well being at all.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards