Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

Would this be appropriate for my wedding?

I have been trying to think of a song to use for our Bride/Father-of-the groom and Groom/Mother-of-the bride dance and keep coming back to Sunrise, Sunset from the Fiddler on the Roof soundtrack. My dad used to sing it to me as a little girl and it has always been one of my favorites. While we are not having a religious ceremony, we are both Christian and I have been told by a few people not to use that song because it is more commonly associated with Jewish weddings. Personally I think its stupid not to use a song (that literally makes no religious references in it) just based on its origin/prior/common use. Am I being insensitive or is this something that is actually important to consider when choosing a song?

Answers

• Personally, I love the song (and I grew up Catholic and am now an atheist). If you and your FI love it, use it and screw what anyone else thinks.
  • I'm jewish and my dad would be heartbroken if we didn't use that song (he loves it and its very meaningful to him and our family). No offense taken here. I think you're good to go!
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited May 2016
    There is nothing inherently Jewish in that song, and even if there was, wasn't Jesus a Jewish man?
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • CMGragain said:
    There is nothing inherently Jewish in that song, and even if there was, wasn't Jesus a Jewish man?
    The Last Supper was a Passover Seder.
  • edited May 2016
    Double post. 
  • Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    I'm Jewish and I hate that song.

While it does get used a lot in Jewish weddings, that doesn't prohibit anyone else from using that song. But IMO it's overplayed to the point of being a cliche.

Also, it's not a happy song. The tune is mournful and the focus is on the parents grieving because the couple aren't children any more.

And the wedding in Fiddler on the Roof in which that song is played is controversial (the parents of the bride are reluctant to allow her to marry the groom because they fell in love with each other, but the matchmaker set her up with someone else) and the wedding ends in a pogrom.  

So you may want to use a happier song at your wedding.
  • It's from a fictional musical. Not scripture or an actual Jewish wedding or tradition. I say go for it if you like it. 
  • ZK1120 said:
    My dad used to sing it to me as a little girl and it has always been one of my favorites. 
    I think this says it all. It's clearly a special song for the both of you and that makes it perfect. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards