Wedding Woes

Sister is smart. Be like your sister.

Dear Prudence,
My mother is a terrible exaggerator. I regularly catch her making wild guesses based on minimal evidence, intentionally omitting key details, and altering the timeline when she tells a story. I’ve asked her not to discuss my personal life with other people as a result of this. Recently I shared with her a challenging situation I faced with my ex-husband and our son. Later, she mentioned that she asked several of her friends what I should do about it. This time I lost it. I told her I wanted her to stop talking about my personal life with her friends because it made me feel embarrassed and exposed. I got really angry, but by the end of the call I apologized for my tone. She is now sulking and refused to take my calls. My sister just doesn’t tell her things. That feels wrong. I don’t know how to fix this.

—At a Loss

Re: Sister is smart. Be like your sister.

• Yep, I'm with you, Mrs.Conn.

My brother is like this - lies and exaggerates about every single thing. We all just avoid talking to him and when we have to, we just nod, say "yeah" every once in a while and try to get off the phone as soon as we can.

Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Yea she's not going to change so if you don't want people to hear about your business then don't tell her...

My mother is like this and puts on a charade of it's for prayer group... I'm sure some prayer groups are fine and supportive but hers is just a way to gossip and it disgusts me hence why I don't tell her personal things anymore.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • If you don't want Mom exaggerating and running her mouth then don't tell her big ticket things. 

Sometimes it's just easier to keep people on a need to know basis.

• If Mom can't be responsible with personal information she doesn't get to hear personal information. LW shouldn't feel bad about shutting Mom out because it's clear her Mom can't or won't keep it to herself. 
  • My granny does similar stuff. Not blab to the world but exaggerate stuff. Honestly, the older I get the more I see it.

One of my uncles does what 'sister' does and my granny gets pissed.

I think writer should ease up on what she tells her, knowing what happens. Tell her things that she wouldn't be upset if the mother opened her mouth about.
  • I would definitely stop telling her things. It feels wrong? How so? If she is going to twist and share with others, THAT's what's wrong, not deciding not to tell her things. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards