Wedding Woes

Friday! FINALLY!

DH has to work tonight. BOOO!

No driveway sealing today because it's going to rain. Because it's never going to stop raining.  :/ 

Wood painting was so fun.  I want to do it again.  I also went to dinner with mom and sister's after and we had a great time. 

Weekend is hopefully going to be low-key. We might do dinner on Sunday at my parent's house. 

Re: Friday! FINALLY!

• DH has to work tonight. BOOO!

No driveway sealing today because it's going to rain. Because it's never going to stop raining.  :/ 

Wood painting was so fun.  I want to do it again.  I also went to dinner with mom and sister's after and we had a great time. 

Weekend is hopefully going to be low-key. We might do dinner on Sunday at my parent's house. 
    Wood painting looked like a lot of fun!  And no, it will never stop raining.  This weekend, we were supposed to put down fresh mulch, plant annuals, etc. but it looks like that's all out the window.  Here's hoping tomorrow's riding lesson is canceled, because the only thing worse than not riding, is riding in the rain.  (Or watching, really.  Wooz doesn't mind riding in the rain, though I think a downpour would change her tune.)  Oh well, we'll probably get a lot done around the house.

Got DS's evaluation yesterday.  Apparently he's making great progress in Spanish and signs, so DH and I think he has linguistic aptitude.  I actually just got him a bilingual English/Spanish picture book because he likes Spanish, but unfortunately neither DH nor I are anywhere near fluent.  (That was one of the classes I was looking for a few weeks back, that only meets at like 10:30 on Tuesday mornings.  Grrrr.)  So I got him some apps, as well, and I'm going to see if one of Wooz's friends will practice signs with him.  (This is the neighbor whose parents are both deaf, and he's an only child who is really into DS--when he comes over, he probably spends more time with DS than with Wooz, even though he and Wooz are in the same class at school.)

In the meantime, Wooz's birthday is fast approaching, and she says she wants an American Girl doll.  Which, if I thought she would enjoy it, fine.  But she never even plays with dolls.  DH and I think she just wants one because all the other girls have them, and she'll enjoy it for a few days before it ends up forgotten in the playroom.  That's a lot of money for a couple days' entertainment.  Grrrrr.
  • Fuck Yeah Friday!!
    Saturday, I have nothing planned excpet getting a pedicure.
    Sunday, I have tobtake the dog to the vet so he can get his health certificate to fly. Then we go pick up FH from the airport.

One of my oldest and dearest friends has been trying to tie up loose ends back home so she can join her beau in FL since January. She is finally ready, leaving Monday or Tuesday, and should be here Wednesday. Of course I leave Friday but I think she will have left by then. I am bummed she couldn't hold out a little longer so I could have more time with her when I go back but I understand. 
  • Last day of work and there is a 90% chance I'm going to cry in public and I'll be thoroughly ashamed. Whatever, I love some of my colleagues and I'll miss them.

It's moving weekend; truck comes today, movers tomorrow, and driving on Sunday. I had to take the cat to the groomer today and she looked so scared and upset I left her there. Also, the dog has fleas. Fantastic.
  • TGIF.

I've had a headache on and off basically all week. I'm also PMSing something awful so all I want to do is sit at home alone and drink wine and cry.

But instead, I'm helping work a ladies' event at church this weekend because I'm excellent at overcommitting myself to do things. Sigh.

• I am tired.  It's raining, and I left my umbrella on the train.  I'm having trouble believing it's actually Friday.  I forgot to take my allergy medicine this morning (along with my BC... oops), and I haven't been able to stop sneezing.  I couldn't even put my contacts in this morning because my eyes were so puffy and irritated... and I still forgot to take my damn meds.

I also now have poison ivy under my bra strap.

DH told me to tell them I am interested in the position.  I know he supports me, but I got mixed signals from him, so I really hope he was being honest with me when he said to go for it.  

That's the good news.

The bad news is that apparently, the guy they asked first (last week), who said no (last week), changed his mind (this morning) and wants the job.  So this is me right about now:

I feel like he shouldn't be allowed to do that, but I suspect they'd prefer to have someone with, how shall we say this, a specific kind of plumbing in the position.  Now, they want us to make a list of reasons why this job would be beneficial for us.  I have 5 very good reasons, but I'm afraid it won't be enough.

It's definitely time for a cupcake.

"And when they use our atoms to make new lives, they won’t just be able to take one, they’ll have to take two, one of you and one of me..."
    --Philip Pullman

• I am tired.  It's raining, and I left my umbrella on the train.  I'm having trouble believing it's actually Friday.  I forgot to take my allergy medicine this morning (along with my BC... oops), and I haven't been able to stop sneezing.  I couldn't even put my contacts in this morning because my eyes were so puffy and irritated... and I still forgot to take my damn meds.

I also now have poison ivy under my bra strap.

DH told me to tell them I am interested in the position.  I know he supports me, but I got mixed signals from him, so I really hope he was being honest with me when he said to go for it.  

That's the good news.

The bad news is that apparently, the guy they asked first (last week), who said no (last week), changed his mind (this morning) and wants the job.  So this is me right about now:

I feel like he shouldn't be allowed to do that, but I suspect they'd prefer to have someone with, how shall we say this, a specific kind of plumbing in the position.  Now, they want us to make a list of reasons why this job would be beneficial for us.  I have 5 very good reasons, but I'm afraid it won't be enough.

It's definitely time for a cupcake.
    Definitely time for all the cupcakes. Also, five good reasons are better than a laundry list of crappy reasons!

Also, Leslie Knope is my spirit animal.
  • Yay for Friday!

We have a busy weekend planned.   I'm off early today and hope to get a pedicure and pick up a silk floral arrangement for DH's parent's grave.  We'll be out of town Memorial Day weekend so it's cemetery weekend this week.

Tomorrow we head about hour away to cemetery for DH's side.  Then to a sale of refinished furniture, crafts and fun stuff his niece is having in a refurbished barn.  We have a HS graduation open house in the later afternoon and then a BBQ and Blues fundraiser for a local organization.  

Sunday is church and then we are taking my mom to put out cemetery flowers for my side of the family.  It's a semi-annual thing for us and we usually do lunch and make a day trip of it.

• @Heffalump As a CODA (Child of Deaf Adults) I love that!  That is how most of my friends growing up learned and most of them still remember a little bit, which is far more than people who learned through books etc.

Tonight we close on the refinance (yay!).  Especially since it means no mortgage payment next month!  It's actually nice here and sunny this weekend (and since I live in Michigan I refuse to feel guilty, it's been crap here since October/November).  I think I'm going to start my wine bottles/table numbers for the wedding.  I don't DIY a lot so fingers crossed I don't ruin the 20 bottles I saved up, or I'll have to drink more wine and blame the wedding, of course.
  • 6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    6let has 2 more hours of school and he's out for summer. I don't know if I'm happy or sad. Dh took today off, we spent the morning at the nursery and Costco.  I got shorts, shoes, and a shirt. I should have more shame, but I love them.  

Satyrday is is baseball then the ils are taking the kids for the night. Dh and I are going to one of those places that just brings you tons of meat. Sunday is lacrosse and who knows what. 
  • @Heffalump As a CODA (Child of Deaf Adults) I love that!  That is how most of my friends growing up learned and most of them still remember a little bit, which is far more than people who learned through books etc.
    I am so glad you said that, because DH and I were debating whether it was okay to ask him.  We didn't want to be like "Entertain our kid, your language is a party trick to us" or anything.  But obviously this kid is fluent, and he likes DS, and DS apparently has some aptitude for signs, so we thought it might be good for everyone. 

DD was never into signs (plus she was an early talker), so we didn't learn that many.  (All I remember is "more," which DS still does if he asks for something and I say no--he'll repeat his spoken request while signing "more" for extra emphasis, LOL.  And "I love you" which Wooz and I do after she gets on the school bus, before it pulls away.)  But his teacher said they reviewed the signs for various insects yesterday (they're finishing a unit on insects) and he had all of them down cold, so we're like "Huh.  That goes beyond milk, more, and all done.  Maybe we should support this and see where it takes him." 

Back from the dentist, and the good news is that my chip was really minor, and he just filed the edges down.  The bad news is, he thinks I may be clenching/grinding my teeth in my sleep and might need to sleep with a bite guard.  That...does not sound appealing.  I am also paying attention and starting to think maybe I'm also clenching them while I'm awake, without even realizing it.  :grimace: 
  • Heffalump said:
    @Heffalump As a CODA (Child of Deaf Adults) I love that!  That is how most of my friends growing up learned and most of them still remember a little bit, which is far more than people who learned through books etc.
    I am so glad you said that, because DH and I were debating whether it was okay to ask him.  We didn't want to be like "Entertain our kid, your language is a party trick to us" or anything.  But obviously this kid is fluent, and he likes DS, and DS apparently has some aptitude for signs, so we thought it might be good for everyone. 

DD was never into signs (plus she was an early talker), so we didn't learn that many.  (All I remember is "more," which DS still does if he asks for something and I say no--he'll repeat his spoken request while signing "more" for extra emphasis, LOL.  And "I love you" which Wooz and I do after she gets on the school bus, before it pulls away.)  But his teacher said they reviewed the signs for various insects yesterday (they're finishing a unit on insects) and he had all of them down cold, so we're like "Huh.  That goes beyond milk, more, and all done.  Maybe we should support this and see where it takes him." 

Back from the dentist, and the good news is that my chip was really minor, and he just filed the edges down.  The bad news is, he thinks I may be clenching/grinding my teeth in my sleep and might need to sleep with a bite guard.  That...does not sound appealing.  I am also paying attention and starting to think maybe I'm also clenching them while I'm awake, without even realizing it.  :grimace: 
    As long as the kid doesn't mind, I don't see a problem with it at all.  I loved teaching other people ASL, and enjoy teaching people about Deaf culture.  However, some kids, especially at that elementary age, are shy and embarrassed by being different and the attention that signing in public brings.

The Deaf community in general, welcomes opportunities to reach out into the hearing world and teach ASL, so long as it's a genuine (which yours is).  A party trick is the 13 year old who only wants to know the swear words or the parents who do it because it's trendy.

We have a friend that brags about teaching their baby ASL, but they're not.  Their baby signs "celebrate" instead of "finished" and because they know what it is, they say it's fine, which it is, but don't call it ASL.  You wouldn't let your kids said "gymo" instead of gimnasio and call it Spanish so don't call your kids hand gestures ASL.
  • Got a margarita cheesecake cupcake to help me finish off my list of reasons why I should get the job and why moving would be good for us.  I hope I'm wrong about the potential gender bias, but there are so few women in this position that I can't help but wonder.  Also, HE TURNED IT DOWN ALREADY, DAMN IT.  No do-overs!

So, Mr. Man, here is what I say to you.

"And when they use our atoms to make new lives, they won’t just be able to take one, they’ll have to take two, one of you and one of me..."
    --Philip Pullman

• We have a friend that brags about teaching their baby ASL, but they're not.  Their baby signs "celebrate" instead of "finished" and because they know what it is, they say it's fine, which it is, but don't call it ASL.  You wouldn't let your kids said "gymo" instead of gimnasio and call it Spanish so don't call your kids hand gestures ASL.
    I met one of those at the park once when Wooz was little.  He was going on and on about Baby Signs and how I should be teaching them to her, and she toddled over and said, clear as a bell "What dat man say, Mommy?"  He moseyed on after that.
  • I just had a member with the last name of Kimp.  All I could think about was "mail kimp".  Oh Serial, come back soon with a better story.  ;) 
  • edited May 2016
    I have to go pay a traffic ticket after work. Boo. Also working part of the weekend, but planning to take the mutt to the dog park at least once and do some writing.
  • I haven't shaved my legs in days and I'm getting a pedicure after work. Don't care. H doesn't have anything to wear to this wedding tomorrow either so we're going shopping tonight.

Sunday I'm hoping to get my family over to look through my mom's stuff. I have attic boxes of stuff from her wedding to my dad (in 1980) that he probably wants, plus several boxes of stuff from her desk, books, etc. My brother is a combination of the lying exaggerating mom and the broke better-than-you SIL from Prudie yesterday so getting him to come over to the house is hard. He found out we spend more on our house than he did and he can't handle that.

Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • I haven't shaved my legs in days and I'm getting a pedicure after work. Don't care. H doesn't have anything to wear to this wedding tomorrow either so we're going shopping tonight.

Sunday I'm hoping to get my family over to look through my mom's stuff. I have attic boxes of stuff from her wedding to my dad (in 1980) that he probably wants, plus several boxes of stuff from her desk, books, etc. My brother is a combination of the lying exaggerating mom and the broke better-than-you SIL from Prudie yesterday so getting him to come over to the house is hard. He found out we spend more on our house than he did and he can't handle that.

I once had a nail tech tell me I shouldn't shave right before a pedicure, especially if you get any of the exfoliation or scrubs. She said its better if you wait until after so I took that as I never need to feel bad about it ever again.

I once had a nail tech tell me I shouldn't shave right before a pedicure, especially if you get any of the exfoliation or scrubs. She said its better if you wait until after so I took that as I never need to feel bad about it ever again.
    I've heard this before, also.  If you shave right before, it can leave cuts, even small unnoticeable ones, which can lead to nasty infections.  They clean their equipment and stuff, but not enough that you want any chance of open skin bathing in those things.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards