Wedding Woes

Dependent mom is draining the life out of me.

mrsconn23mrsconn23 member
First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
edited May 2016 in Wedding Woes

Dear Prudence,
My family immigrated to the U.S. when I was young. My mom is almost 80, never learned English, and doesn’t drive. My dad did everything for her until he died last year. I am now her driver, translator, therapist, and companion. I am coming apart dealing with her. She is completely dependent on me. We also have a language barrier, since English is my first language and I only speak her language minimally. She calls me several times a day, and I take her to all her appointments and run her errands with her. I realize that she’s lonely and needs someone to talk to. A retirement community would be great for her, but she wouldn’t be able to communicate with anyone there. What do I do? I’m becoming resentful, because I feel she was not much of a mother to me growing up, and now I’m burdened with being everything to her. She drains me to the point that I dread seeing or speaking to her.

—Mommy Issues

Re: Dependent mom is draining the life out of me.

• Oh geese. This is a tough one.
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • LW needs to find her mom a local elderly community with people from her home country so she is able to communicate and can find common ground. 

• If there isn't a group of people from her home country she should check with the city or county about translators, many offices will have them on call or can connect her to other services, at the very least for doctors appointments. Also there many be transportation services where LW can set it up in advance and all mom has to do is get on and off the bus. 
  • what would the mom do if daughter fell off the face of the earth, tomorrow?

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards