Wedding Woes

I'm bored, bring your randoms

It is dead here.  Just dead.  Not a peep from sales.  My designer is out, which means anything she was working on for me is on hold.  Month end, so all of this month's reports are long since finished.  So I'm bored, give me some randoms.

Mine:  I think DS's big boy room is finally finished (for now).  I had been eyeing this solar system mobile on Amazon, and it was hovering around $90.  Yesterday, I saw that it had dropped to $70 and change, plus we had $52 in Amazon points just sitting there.  SOLD.  It arrives tomorrow and I can't wait to put it up.

Also, summer weather is finally here to stay, and I am looking forward to hanging out at the pool with DS tonight while DD has practice.

Next project:  Wooz's room.  (Anyone used chalkboard paint?  Tips?)

Re: I'm bored, bring your randoms

• edited May 2016
    I've done a few walls with chalkboard paint; be sure to scrub the wall clean first and sand it down if it's uneven. I didn't and I could tell the difference when trying to write on it. So definitely follow the directions.

I love the paint and I'll probably do a wall in the new house with it. 

We we went to check out a dog park that's near our house and its private, as in you have to have a swipe card and pay membership, and put in an application. No dog park we've ever gone to has been like this. And yes, we're totally considering trying to get our dog into the exclusive park. 
  • I started writing again this week. It has been oddly therapeutic, which is kind of surprising because I didn't know I was in a slump, but looking back at the last couple of weeks it does kind of make sense. The laptop died though so I'm doing it all by hand and it feels like a punishment.

"And when they use our atoms to make new lives, they won’t just be able to take one, they’ll have to take two, one of you and one of me..."
    --Philip Pullman

• Also, I just finished the second season of Serial and need a new podcast. 
  • TyvmTyvm member
    First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    Also, I've started telling her "your mom" jokes, which I find hilarious. She'll say something - "This cheese is weird", say, and I'll come back with "Your mom is weird" and crack myself up. 
    @baconsmom These are my favorite kinds of jokes, although I usually use "Your face" instead of "Your mom", but I appreciate the added humor from the latter in this situation.

Today is one of those days where my saying that, "I do not have a job, I have a collection of Skype/BlueJeans/Zoom/Lync/Hangout meetings" rings quite true.

Also going to a concert in the city tonight. Who does a San Francisco concert on a Thursday?!

k thnx bye

• baconsmom said:

Also, I've started telling her "your mom" jokes, which I find hilarious. She'll say something - "This cheese is weird", say, and I'll come back with "Your mom is weird" and crack myself up.

She just stares at me.  

Kids these days. They just don't know how to appreciate good humor. I used to live off of your mom jokes, and I still crack myself up every time I think to throw one in.

My random for the day - we all thought we were getting paid tomorrow since pay day falls on Monday, which is a holiday. Nope. They're paying us Tuesday instead. UGH

• Also, I just finished the second season of Serial and need a new podcast. 
    Hmmmm, what kind are you looking for?

I like Criminal a lot.  If you follow politics, NPR Politics is a good one, too--I like it more than I thought I would.
  • My husband and I put in an application for an apartment yesterday...to move into on Tuesday. We can't stay at our current place (despite liking it and our landlord loving us and not wanting us to leave, his MIL needs a place so we gotta go) and the place we were supposed to move into went from temporary (~6 months) to super duper temporary (~1 month) so we just want to skip that pit stop and find a new place, but now we're stuck scrambling. Fingers and toes crossed for us please!
  • I've done a few walls with chalkboard paint; be sure to scrub the wall clean first and sand it down if it's uneven. I didn't and I could tell the difference when trying to write on it. So definitely follow the directions.

I love the paint and I'll probably do a wall in the new house with it. 

We we went to check out a dog park that's near our house and its private, as in you have to have a swipe card and pay membership, and put in an application. No dog park we've ever gone to has been like this. And yes, we're totally considering trying to get our dog into the exclusive park. 
    All our city dog parks are like that. The application is to ensure that the dogs are vaccinated. Don't know how expensive the fee is though.
  • One of our admins is out on medical leave right now - while she annoys me, the 2 people that are backing her up are worse. I'm working on setting boundaries because one in particular is annoying the shit out of me, and I'm working very hard at not saying anything today. (I lost that battle yesterday after she wasted more that an hour of my time.)

DK's interview went well. He's cautiously optimistic. They said next steps would be to meet with one of the VPs, and they'll be in contact soon. 
  • Yesterday it occurred to me that we had the wrong marriage license for our ceremony that is (now) 8 days away! (In Pennsylvania, you can either have a standard marriage license for a legal officiate to marry you, or you can get what's called a self-uniting license, where just the two spouses sign along with two witnesses [which is what we wanted to get but didn't]. PA also doesn't recognize any internet ministries, so I was very worried that out friend who is marrying us [who jokes that he's 'only a figurehead'] wouldn't be able to be involved, and it's pretty late to start a search for a minister of some sort.)

Luckily it all worked out pretty quickly (we were able to get a new license at the courthouse by trading in the other one and paying a penalty), but not before a couple friends suggested that we just go with it and get married legally later.

Yesterday also marks the first time I've ever explained what a PPD is and why it's a big nope.

• Heffalump said:
    Also, I just finished the second season of Serial and need a new podcast. 

I like Criminal a lot.  If you follow politics, NPR Politics is a good one, too--I like it more than I thought I would.
    I like Criminal a lot too. My favorite one is Lore which goes into where different myths came from like vampires, changelings, zombies, etc... I also like Sword and Scale which talks about crimes and is similar to criminal but longer.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Heffalump said:

I need something that will keep my interest over a long period of time. My favorite podcasts have been Revolutions and I loved Serial. Is Criminal the same story each episode or a new one each time? I just listened two the first two episodes of NPR's embedded and it was OK. I liked the stories but I felt like I had way more questions and just seemed like an extended All Things Considered segment. 
  • Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    Just started a new job and moved apartments.  Jury is still out on how both are going to work out.
  • Heffalump said:

I need something that will keep my interest over a long period of time. My favorite podcasts have been Revolutions and I loved Serial. Is Criminal the same story each episode or a new one each time? I just listened two the first two episodes of NPR's embedded and it was OK. I liked the stories but I felt like I had way more questions and just seemed like an extended All Things Considered segment. 
    It's different every time. I like Criminal a lot, but I prefer longer podcasts for when I walk to work as they tend to be like 15mins and I need a good hour to cover to and from. I just finished Limetown which I liked a lot, it's fiction but I really enjoyed it. It's told over about 6/7 episodes, in the style of a 'serial' type radio-doc. 

• TyvmTyvm member
    First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    Yesterday it occurred to me that we had the wrong marriage license for our ceremony that is (now) 8 days away! (In Pennsylvania, you can either have a standard marriage license for a legal officiate to marry you, or you can get what's called a self-uniting license, where just the two spouses sign along with two witnesses [which is what we wanted to get but didn't]. PA also doesn't recognize any internet ministries, so I was very worried that out friend who is marrying us [who jokes that he's 'only a figurehead'] wouldn't be able to be involved, and it's pretty late to start a search for a minister of some sort.)
    @100yroldblinddog We're also going the self-uniting marriage route in PA. I'm a little concerned because I think, legally, you aren't supposed to have any officiant at all. Not even an emcee or a "figurehead." But I'm not really sure how stringent that rule is, or if it even matters (i.e.,  is enforced)? What is or is not considered an officiant w.r.t. self-uniting marriages? What do you think?

k thnx bye

• @charlotte989875 West Wing Weekly is fun, a discussion of each episode starting with Season One. About an hour each.

Also "The Moth" -- hour-long, but usually three stories on a theme.
  • @charlotte989875 West Wing Weekly is fun, a discussion of each episode starting with Season One. About an hour each.

Totally checking this out today! Thanks!

The moth is hit or miss for me today, sometimes the stores are really interesting and hold my attention, and sometimes I just have no idea what they are talking about. 

S/O an hour long/three stories on a theme, I love the This American Life podcast.

@charlotte989875, did you ever listen to any of the Serial-related podcasts?  Undisclosed was a big one, I know--not sure whether it's still active, but it was all about Serial (and pretty strongly pro-Adnan).  Truth and Justice was another one I heard about, though I never listened to it.
  • Undisclosed is about to come back with a new case soon.  They've done some one-off stuff recently. 

There's also Truth and Justice with Bob Ruff, which started as a Serial/Adnan investigation spin-off, but he's taken up another case now.  He's got a great voice (and he's super cute being a former fire fighter and all). 

Here's my list of Podcasts:

The Generation Why (does about an hour on all sorts of cases big and small, usually has a crime-bent...but not always.  It IS just two guys who are total laymen talking about stuff.   They sometimes have expert guests.)

Sword and Scale (Mike Boudet really does his research and interviews.  Each ep is about an hour.  It's a really, really grisly take on horrible crimes.  Not for the faint of heart.) 

Death, Sex, and Money from WNYC (an NPR station).  (Slice of life podcast with Anna Sale, celebs and regular people are interviewed.  It's only about 25 min per episode.  Sale's got a great interview style.)

Joe Rogan (his podcasts clock in at 2-3 hours.  It's an conversational interview format.  They also are usually drinking or smoking weed.  I only listen when it's people I like or a subject I'm interested in.  Lots of comedians come on his podcast.) 

Real Crime Profile (Two former criminal investigators who are now experts for Criminal Minds. They discuss various cases.  The podcast is still finding it's footing.  Jim Clemente and Laura Richards are very smart and have interesting things to say.  They also usually provide a different and sometimes opposing viewpoint to one another.  It's somewhat moderated by a casting director from Criminal Minds (cannot think of her name) and she provides a lay person's perspective).

Bitch Sesh (Casey Wilson (from Happy Endings, and I LOVE her) and Danielle Schneider (Wilson's BFF and one of the creators of Hotwives of Las Vegas), break down the Real Housewives franchises and other Bravo shows.  Sometimes they just fuck around and be funny.  @Heffalump, they recently got a hold of some e-mails from a PTA cat fight and read them dramatically.  It was amazing.) 

Whew!  :D  And my friend just told me to start listening to Criminal.  Gah! 

Thankfully, there's nothing on TV in the summer...so I'll have plenty of time to catch up on listening to stuff. 

• 6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Dh is starting to push sports and I'm not sure how I'm feeling. For now I'm just supporting, but I don't know about try out/travel teams for a rinsing second grader. It just seems like a lot, but I know 6let is into it so....we can reevaluate each season.  
  • So here's a random.  I was looking at the dust jacket of the book I'm reading (not at work, obvi...), and I just realized how much Stephen King looks like my uncle.  King has a few more teeth, but the resemblance is uncanny.

Mind.  Blown.

"And when they use our atoms to make new lives, they won’t just be able to take one, they’ll have to take two, one of you and one of me..."
    --Philip Pullman

• 6fsn6fsn member
    I said I wasn't going to get annoyed at MIL this summer.  I lied.  She was complaining she never sees the kids.  I sent and email- these are the camps we've signed up for, they are all in the morning if you want to do something in the afternoon.  We have nothing in July and nothing the first two weeks of AUgust.  "I'll check my schedule and get back to you."  Never gets back.  I sent a message that I messed up and we also have all next week free. "I'll check my schedule and get back to you."

I've heard nothing back.  If you don't want to see us fine, but don't bitch you don't see them.  The one activity she wants to do is ice skating.  Except she can't go on the ice so it's me with 3 kids that can't skate.  Sounds awesome to me!!

• 6fsn said:

The one activity she wants to do is ice skating.  Except she can't go on the ice so it's me with 3 kids that can't skate.  Sounds awesome to me!!

Why ice skating?  What's the point if she can't skate and therefore interact with the kids? 

• 6fsn6fsn member
    6fsn said:

The one activity she wants to do is ice skating.  Except she can't go on the ice so it's me with 3 kids that can't skate.  Sounds awesome to me!!

Why ice skating?  What's the point if she can't skate and therefore interact with the kids? 

Pretty sure it's because no other grandparent has done it yet.  She doesn't really want to interact, she wants to take pictures to show off.
  • I love ice skating - wouldn't know it to look at me though LOL..  The idea of taking kids who can't skate out there solo without the utilization of an instructor of some sort - NOPE!

Today DD has "the talk" video at school... She's been freaking out all week about it - it's hilarious!!!  Last night she was doing the "WHHhhyyyyyy?!?!!? I'm too young for this!" ROFL - to which I explained "You should have had this last year (but the nitwits at that school didn't consider it appropriate subject matter for school - obviously didn't say that part to DD)".  There are at least three girls in her class who've started, and we've talked some, but not the full across the spectrum discussion.. 

(Backstory: DH asked me to put some flowers together for the Memorial service to a friend/former coworker of ours who passed instead of ordering something..)..  Yesterday at the Wake/Memorial after seeing it, SIL was saying "you should become a florist" (I'm in the midst of getting my certifications/confidence up to date to go back on the road and back into my career that I had to walk away from because of the family business drama that's now over) and DH trying to start in with the "you should.." - Ugh - what part of "No way in H***" do they not understand.  While I have fun arranging flowers, I could NEVER do it as a career for a laundry list of reasons..  Namely, while I love to enjoy flowers, I'm just not passionate about them.  My house plants survive on proper neglect..

On a good note, I met someone there yesterday who is in the Hypothyriod "club" that lost about 100lbs.  and had some FANTASTIC perspective on some of the issues with getting this whole thing conquered and the weight off.  One of those chance meetings of "you're right where you're suppose to be at this point in getting it treated, keep following the course!" that you think "the Universe is trying to tell me something"... 

• Thanks @mrs.conn23 and @Heffalump a lot of those sound right up my alley. Also, @IrishPirate60 the West Wing Weekly is fantastic, I can't believe Josh Malina is doing it, I love him. 
  • @MesmrEwe , that is a gorgeous flower arrangement!
  • MNNEBride said:
    @MesmrEwe , that is a gorgeous flower arrangement!

Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards