Wedding Woes

Reception Venues Decisions

Me and my SO are finding it very difficult to plan this wedding. We've only been engaged two months (as of June 3rd), and we're both so fudging done with this. We can't find a venue, my ideas aren't practical, and I just want all of this to be gone.

SO my question is, where would we have an outdoor ceremony for 15 people, that is not a courthouse and isn't a public park? Does such a thing even exist? Would it even be in my area?
"Let me give you some advice. Never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister

Re: Reception Venues Decisions

• Me and my SO are finding it very difficult to plan this wedding. We've only been engaged two months (as of June 3rd), and we're both so fudging done with this. We can't find a venue, my ideas aren't practical, and I just want all of this to be gone.

SO my question is, where would we have an outdoor ceremony for 15 people, that is not a courthouse and isn't a public park? Does such a thing even exist? Would it even be in my area?
    I don't know where your area is, but most back yards are appropriate for 15 people. Many restaurants may have an outside seating area which might accomodate you as well. 
  • TyvmTyvm member
    First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    A conservatory, museum, aquarium, aviary, or greenhouse of some sort might be able to give you some outdoor space. As would someone with a backyard, or a restaurant with a patio/deck. 15 people isn't many.

k thnx bye

• I don't know what your budget is, but you may also check historic houses, if there are any in your area. I know there's one in my (small) city that has gardens and is available for weddings. I did my bridal portraits in the garden there.
  • Some zoos and theme parks may let you use their facilities (at least where I live they do). What about a lake/beach house? I would also post this question on your local board as someone may have an idea of a specific place close to you.
  • MesmrEweMesmrEwe member
    First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited May 2016

The local boards are going to be a good starting point.  (Upper right-hand side there is a drop-down where it says "Wedding Boards", click on the "Local Boards" and then the board closest your location.  They will have plenty of ideas there. 

Not all parks are big public parks, many parks are just smaller areas with potentially a shelter house. Just north of where I live there are random "parks" along the side of the road that just look like a mini private gathering space with benches.  Some friends of mine got married years ago at a local Conservatory.  There's an art museum near here that has an outdoor space. 

Take the stress out of the planning.  Really - you're thinking WAY too deeply into this.  People plan funerals using many of the same vendors in a three-day span of time, breathe!!!  There are only three things you need to get married - 1) Someone to marry you, 2) A license, and 3) Someone to officiate/witness - the rest is window dressing and gravy!!!  You've got a guest list of 15 people (please write out the list and SO's to confirm that is the case and not actually 30), there's a local historical site/town hall/old schoolhouse/wildlife sanctuary/etc. that you can use/book for the day, or you could venture out and do a dinner train or river cruise type location, start there.  Then decide what you want to do for the reception portion - many restaurants have a small side-room, hotels have smaller rooms/breakfast room that you can rent and plan your menu accordingly to your budget whether that's a cake & punch reception or 10 course steak dinner with top-shelf beverages.  Florist - set your budget and say "I like (blue flowers, roses, etc.) and need (bouquet, bouts, corsages) - have fun!"... Cake - "your cake is the yummiest I've tasted (the ONLY detail that matters!), here's my details, chocolate with chocolate buttercream filling - have fun!" in other words, delegate!  It's only stressful if you make it so.  At the end of the day, the only things that matter are that you're married and your guests were hosted properly, meaning they didn't have to hike a mile through sand dunes to get to the ceremony site, or a half-mile onto a frozen lake in the middle of winter, restroom facilities, running water, they have a place to be seated during the ceremony and reception, they're provided for such that they don't need to open their wallets to be part of your guest list (i.e. pay for their dinner, drinks, entry into the ceremony/reception venue)... 

Good luck - and breathe!  Unless this is taking place in two weeks, you've got plenty of time!!

• Me and my SO are finding it very difficult to plan this wedding. We've only been engaged two months (as of June 3rd), and we're both so fudging done with this. We can't find a venue, my ideas aren't practical, and I just want all of this to be gone.

"in a shack by the river" is the new "barn" wedding. you could do that.
  • Also, tell us what ideas you have.  We may be able help you realize them in a way that is within your budget.

And while you should utilize your local boards for suggestions near you.  I would also throw out your general location here, in case any of the people on this board know the area.  For example, I can give you plenty of suggestions in South Jersey and Philly. 

• We really need more info in order to best help you with this, OP. I'm sorry that you and your FI aren't agreeing.

When I think 15 person wedding, I automatically think back yard or tea house garden type thing. In my area there are also lots of restaurants with pretty courtyards that are willing to rent to private parties. Maybe you can find something like that?

• I think that we've decided on the Lyceum in the Galveston area.

http://www.lyceumgalveston.com/
    "Let me give you some advice. Never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
  • Pretty! Can you rent just the gazebo?
  • No, but you can rent the smallest room on a Sunday for $550. For 10 am-midnight. Not including tax or anything. Once we get the contract, I can give more details. :smile: 
  • No, but you can rent the smallest room on a Sunday for $550. For 10 am-midnight. Not including tax or anything. Once we get the contract, I can give more details. :smile: 
    What time are you planning for the wedding? You might want to check out cruise schedules for your date because with 2+ ships in port swapping out thousands of guests, the island might be pretty busy. 

(RCCL usually has a Sunday-Sunday schedule in Galveston, and every time we've been boarding a ship, Carnival has also been boarding. I believe that Disney is also sailing out of Galveston, now.)
  • The ceremony is 1-1:30 and the reception would be 1:45-3
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards