Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

Walking down the aisle

Hi all!  I'm getting married in October 2018. I've known from day one that I don't want anything traditional and neither does my fiancé.  We have decided that we are going to have the groomsmen and bridesmaids have a little fun during the ceremony.  Instead of them walking down traditionally to a slow song, we were thinking of finding an upbeat, fun wedding song for them to dance to!  Does anyone have any ideas? I appreciate the help in advance!

Re: Walking down the aisle

• Our wedding party is totally up for this.  My maid of honor was the one to suggest it.  I wasn't for it in the beginning, but once I thought about it more, we all thought it would be a lot of fun.
  • You have a year and a half till your wedding, why not wait till closer to the time to worry about this? Honestly, I'm 5months out and I've changed my mind countless times since I started planning. You might still want to do this come October 2018 but your ideas on music might change wildly. Don't get stuck on this for now.

• TyvmTyvm member
    First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    Honestly, I'm 5months out and I've changed my mind countless times since I started planning. 
    @glasgowtolondon this this this this this!

Feel free to brain storm and the like, interview vendors, etc etc, but at this point nothing should really be set in stone. Don't spend too much time making a decision on a thing you'll just switch out later.

k thnx bye

• We played fun music for the recessional and encouraged (but did not require!) people to dance their way out. The processional, IMO, is not the place for this. No reason you can't still have an upbeat song, though. Our processional was a piano instrumental arrangement of Guns N Roses 'Sweet Child O Mine.'
  • Wait until it's a bit closer - The one thought is even though you want non-traditional, one thing to remember is to give due reverence to the moment and at least take the ceremony seriously.  Now, walking out at the end and doing that idea - having a fun dance-tune sounds amazing, but for processing in, there are many ways to do it that would liven things up but this just gives the atmosphere "we aren't taking what we're about to do seriously" (there are a million ways to mix it up without going past that metaphorical line). 
  • SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I would leave the "fun dance" for the recessional- pick any song you like (yes, I'd wait to pick, who knows what new song may come out in the next 2 years!).

I did create a word document for myself and wrote a list of songs I really liked for different aspects of the wedding to keep track. Sometimes I'll listen to a song and think, "Oh I love this!" then forget about it in a few months. Hear it again and remember I love it all over.
  • Wanting a fun, upbeat song for your processional is one thing, but for the love of the Diety, don't expect your wedding party to dance down the aisle, regardless of what they told you about being "totally up for it." They may have said that to spare your feelings while really hating the idea.  

Plus, it's an idea that has grown really, really old. 
  • I don't even want my BP doing the whole step pause thing. Just walk!
  • You could do something like this https://youtu.be/4-94JhLEiN0 I'm thinking of doing something similar when the wedding party walks into the reception or even a flash mob
  • You could do something like this https://youtu.be/4-94JhLEiN0 I'm thinking of doing something similar when the wedding party walks into the reception or even a flash mob
    a) This post is seven months old, the OP is probably not still around. Considered dead and impolite to resurrect it.

b) If I were in your wedding party, that sounds like an awful thing that I would do half-heartedly because honestly, no one needs a show from the bridal party. Very few people GAF who they are, and the bride and groom are special enough without an entourage forced to dance around them.
  • Yes, Knottie#s, you should realize how old this is-- both the thread and the idea of the bridal party dancing in. The Office covered this in, what, their third season?
  • We are just a group of fun people, no forcing anything :) this is something we'd do walking into a bar 
  • We are just a group of fun people, no forcing anything :) this is something we'd do walking into a bar 
    I am willing to dance on a tabletop sober. But I don't think it's appropriate for a wedding, I don't think it's cute (and definitely overplayed) and I wouldn't want to do it. But do you realize how hard it is to be the BM who tells the bride "this idea sucks and I don't want to/won't do it"? So just don't.
  • Yeah, not to jump in on the old thread (though technically, OP's wedding is still 20 months away  ;) but I never understood why the WP has to be the "quirky", "original" entertainment.  If the bride wants this, why don't she and her father dance down the aisle?  Or the bride and groom dance down after the ceremony?  
    I enjoy dancing at weddings and parties, but not when I'm in the spotlight.  As a BM, I hate having to do jump in on the B&G first dance, or a flash mob...anything chereographed and when I'm only one of a handful doing it.