Wedding Reception Forum

Reception Uplighting - looking for feedback!

Hey all!  Getting married October 2016, in a big beautiful reception hall in NJ, with loads of chandeliers and all to be expected of that type of venue.  Originally, I thought - Sure let's throw some Uplighting in the mix, why not?

I recently went to another wedding, similar venue.  The couple elected for Uplighting... and I am now second guessing it for my own reeption!

While it was very lovely...in every picture, I looked like a Smurf (their color was blue). This made me nervous, that for my own reception, all pictures would have a color hue to them, that perhaps I would not want in every photo.  Has anyone else had this second-guessing experience for Uplighting?

Anyone had a good experience, a bad experience?  Anyone had their reception pictures come out oddly colored from their use of Uplighting?

Thanks in advance! :-)

Re: Reception Uplighting - looking for feedback!

• Honestly, I would spend your money another way.  Of the weddings I've attended in the last 5 years, I couldn't tell you if any of them had up lighting.  
  • Hey all!  Getting married October 2016, in a big beautiful reception hall in NJ, with loads of chandeliers and all to be expected of that type of venue.  Originally, I thought - Sure let's throw some Uplighting in the mix, why not?

I recently went to another wedding, similar venue.  The couple elected for Uplighting... and I am now second guessing it for my own reeption!

While it was very lovely...in every picture, I looked like a Smurf (their color was blue). This made me nervous, that for my own reception, all pictures would have a color hue to them, that perhaps I would not want in every photo.  Has anyone else had this second-guessing experience for Uplighting?

Anyone had a good experience, a bad experience?  Anyone had their reception pictures come out oddly colored from their use of Uplighting?

Thanks in advance! :-)
    I don't know your venue, but if it is as beautiful as you make it sound, I think uplighting would detract from its natural beauty.  More is not always better. I second using that money for a food or beverage upgrade.  That's what your guests will remember, not the uplighting.  The only reason you're noticing it now as a guest is because you're living in a wedding centered world where you analyze every last thing about a wedding. Oh, and add to that the potential for all of your pictures to have a tint to them, which will probably look super dated in a few years.  

• We had few up-lights at DD's reception because there were some dark areas. They were white not colored for the theme. It sounds like your venue doesn't really need extra lighting so I wouldn't bother.

• We had 14 purple up-lights all along the walls of our venue. No pictures came out looking odd colored. I will say that our venue was an old Ford manufacturing building that's now used for events. So it's basically brick walls (which we love) and has a real industrial look. If your venue has chandeliers and possibly other decorative touches then the up-lighting may not really add much to your space.  That's not a great picture I attached but it shows you what the up-lighting did for our space. 

• My daughter selected her venue because it fit our budget and had lots of windows for natural daylight!  I think uplighting is a complete waste of money that you could spend on FOOD!
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Depending on how the light is set, any light is going to give off it's colour to whatever the light touches.

Our DJ provided his own "party lighting" during the dance portion that was not there during the rest of the reception. Pictures taken during the reception did have that lighting show up.

Your venue sounds lovely, and IMO, you probably don't need uplighting.
  • I used uplighting ("free" in my dj package) and the dj suggested using a soft orange that made the tent resemble sunset long after the sun had gone down.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards