Attire & Accessories Forum

What color bridesmaids dresses?

I just got my dress (yay!) for our wedding next April. It's champagne with an ivory lace layer on top. The online pics for the store don't show the colors accurately (it looks SUPER white) or else I would post a pic.

I'm struggling with what color bridesmaids dresses to pick. We don't have colors decided for anything else yet. It will be pretty much full-on spring here, with lots of green trees and flowers blooming. Our ceremony will be outside, reception inside. I'd like to give the girls a color option and let them pick something they'll be comfortable in. I also don't know that I 100% care what color they wear, which makes it hard. My initial thought was something neutral-ish like a champagney-gold, but now that will kind of match my dress. I like the idea of a different neutral color, but grey or navy don't seem particularly appropriate for spring.

Any thoughts?

Re: What color bridesmaids dresses?

• If you truly don't care about a color, let them all pick something for themselves. You don't have to have any concerns about them ordering their dresses in time or finding out what their individual budgets are and they will probably love you for giving them that freedom. Just make their bouquets a neutral palette and you're all set.
  • Gray or navy look good on most everyone, but if you're wanting a spring theme I'd go for pastels. If you want them all to wear the same color, have them all go together (if possible) to try on dresses and pick a color that is flattering on all of them. 
  • cgss11cgss11 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary First Comment
    I had my bridesmaid in a light gray for my spring wedding. Her pastel bouquet really popped off the neutral shade, so I'm partial to that.

I would avoid pale pastels for dresses, those are hard to wear.
  • ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Gray and especially navy look great with bright colored flowers, which scream spring.  A dress in one of those shades would also be more likely to be worn again, as opposed to a "color" so to speak, if that's something that's important to your BMs.
    If your heart is set on champagne or gold, you should go for it.  No one will confuse you with the bridesmaids.
  • I just got my dress (yay!) for our wedding next April. It's champagne with an ivory lace layer on top. The online pics for the store don't show the colors accurately (it looks SUPER white) or else I would post a pic.

I'm struggling with what color bridesmaids dresses to pick. We don't have colors decided for anything else yet. It will be pretty much full-on spring here, with lots of green trees and flowers blooming. Our ceremony will be outside, reception inside. I'd like to give the girls a color option and let them pick something they'll be comfortable in. I also don't know that I 100% care what color they wear, which makes it hard. My initial thought was something neutral-ish like a champagney-gold, but now that will kind of match my dress. I like the idea of a different neutral color, but grey or navy don't seem particularly appropriate for spring.

Any thoughts?
    I think PPs have some good color ideas.  I just want to point out that it's way too early to pick out dresses for a wedding next April, so you have plenty of time to decide on a color or colors.

• Thanks for the suggestions...I had no idea navy was considered a spring color! It also usually looks nice on most people, and I agree, they're likely to wear it again. Plus it looks awesome with bright spring flowers!

I know it is a bit early, but I wanted to at least be thinking about it. At least one of my sisters is on a pretty strict budget, so I'd like her to have plenty of time to find something she can afford. 
  • I think navy is a great colour choice. There are so many navy dresses out there that likely everyone can find something they like. The flowers will really pop next to it as well.
  • I think navy or grey would be really nice. You could have them do varying shades of grey, almost ombre. Navy would be spring appropriate, especially if it is a short dress. 

If if you do want champagne or gold still, I'd just ask them to make sure there's no ivory in their dress, either in a sash or overlay or whatever. Or do a darker colour in the same family like a tan colour. 
  • SP29SP29 member
    I agree that navy or grey would work really well. You can get the pop of colour from the bouquets and they would look great!

I agree about not going with pastels.

Another option, if you do decide on a colour, is to tell them "X colour, David's Bridal" and let them pick whatever dress they like from there (if it fits in their budget). You can consider a lighter blue, pink, coral or green. You do run into the issue of not every colour looks great on every person.

Another option, is to tell them to wear a spring dress. You may get a variety of colours and patterns.

My choice would be navy or grey.

• MobKazMobKaz member
    Thanks for the suggestions...I had no idea navy was considered a spring color! It also usually looks nice on most people, and I agree, they're likely to wear it again. Plus it looks awesome with bright spring flowers!

I know it is a bit early, but I wanted to at least be thinking about it. At least one of my sisters is on a pretty strict budget, so I'd like her to have plenty of time to find something she can afford. 

As @geebee908 pointed out, the most important factor is determining what price point is comfortable for your sister and other BM's.  Have you asked them individually and privately what they can reasonably afford, versus how much time they need to save up for a particularly priced dress?

The best option would be to select a color such as navy and then let them each buy a dress that suits their individual style and budget.
  • @MobKaz I can't quote for some reason, but yes that was exactly my plan. I just know how hard it is to find something you like once you start looking for something even a little specific, so I'd like them to have time to look around a little bit.
  • I think gray or navy would work well. Navy is a traditionally spring/summer neutral so it would work. Add springy colors with the flowers. I kind of don't like pastels because they don't work on everyone.
    Pastels are kind of tricky. Generally the people who look best in them are either very dark or very fair. I agree with grey (especially a dove gray) or navy. Or since it's a spring wedding and your gown will be a warmer color, why not try different shades of brown?
  • I think both grey and navy are beautiful colors and it would go well with your dress as well!! I feel let all of them go together and try out and then decide what colors would suit them best.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards