Wedding Reception Forum

Baseball?

My FH is a huge Detroit Tigers fan! We aren't having a baseball themed wedding, in fact we don't have a 'theme' at all. Would it look odd to use baseballs with the Tigers logo on them for table numbers (write the number on the ball)? I'm trying to incorporate baseball but in a subtle way, I thought maybe name the tables after different stadiums but FH didn't love that idea because he's more of a Tigers fan than an every team fan. What do you think? Would the baseballs look odd or out of place or be a cool way to incorporate our favorite team? TIA for your help :) 

Re: Baseball?

• kvrunskvruns member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    that would be totally fine to me, if I didn't know him or either of you that well I'd think oh cool they're baseball fans. I wouldn't need to see a whole reception full of baseball decoration.
  • Why not have a baseball-themed groom's cake?
  • I thought about that but I really, really love our actual wedding cake and I don't really want another cake next to it lol could a grooms cake go somewhere else besides the main cake table? 
  • I thought about that but I really, really love our actual wedding cake and I don't really want another cake next to it lol could a grooms cake go somewhere else besides the main cake table? 
    The groom's cake can have a table of its own.
  • My FH is a huge Detroit Tigers fan! We aren't having a baseball themed wedding, in fact we don't have a 'theme' at all. Would it look odd to use baseballs with the Tigers logo on them for table numbers (write the number on the ball)? I'm trying to incorporate baseball but in a subtle way, I thought maybe name the tables after different stadiums but FH didn't love that idea because he's more of a Tigers fan than an every team fan. What do you think? Would the baseballs look odd or out of place or be a cool way to incorporate our favorite team? TIA for your help :) 
    I would stick to numbers for the table and not names of things, numbers make it easier for guests to find their table since they are sequential.

The grooms cake can also be served at the rehearsal as an option. 
  • justsie said:
    My FH is a huge Detroit Tigers fan! We aren't having a baseball themed wedding, in fact we don't have a 'theme' at all. Would it look odd to use baseballs with the Tigers logo on them for table numbers (write the number on the ball)? I'm trying to incorporate baseball but in a subtle way, I thought maybe name the tables after different stadiums but FH didn't love that idea because he's more of a Tigers fan than an every team fan. What do you think? Would the baseballs look odd or out of place or be a cool way to incorporate our favorite team? TIA for your help :) 
    I would stick to numbers for the table and not names of things, numbers make it easier for guests to find their table since they are sequential.

The grooms cake can also be served at the rehearsal as an option. 
    I didn't even think of that, thank you! I don't want people getting confused! 
  • If the baseballs are all the same, find some way to affix a number and then just put in sequential order. I personally like seeing the couple's personality pop through. As long as you are hosting your guests properly, details like this are fine.
  • ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    SP29 said:
    I think baseballs with table numbers is great. Personal while being subtle. No further theme needed.

My friends used photos of their dog posing with numbers as their table numbers. You could obviously see "they love their dog!" but there was no mention of their dog elsewhere (nor did he walk down the aisle as the ring bearer).

Other friends of ours met playing baseball as kids. Their wedding cake was a single layer and designed as a baseball diamond with a groom pitching and bride batting as figurines. Beyond that, no other mention of baseball.

If I saw baseball table numbers, I would think "They love baseball- cool!".
    My husband and I met playing softball, and we had those figurines at the base of our wedding cake (no diamond though just a regular cake).  :)
    OP the baseball table numbers sound lovely.  And the groom's cakes I've seen are always on a separate table.
  • MobKazMobKaz member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    It may be too late for my brain to work clearly.  I like the baseball idea.  But unless you find some pedestal stands on which to elevate the baseball, they might be hard for guests to read/see/find.  Would you consider using baseball themed cards for your numbers?

https://www.etsy.com/listing/181716305/sports-themed-table-numbers-personalize?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=baseball table numbers&ref=sr_gallery_22

In our area, the grooms cake is often served at the rehearsal dinner.

• My brother and sister-in-law are also big Tigers fans. At their wedding, they did some things that were more obvious (all the wedding party wore Tigers flip flops, my brother wore a shirt with the Tigers logo), and some that were more subtle (wedding colors were blue and orange, favors were plain white candles wrapped in a gauzy blue fabric with a Tigers ribbon). There are tons of things you can do, depending on how in-your-face you want to be: your FI wears Tigers socks or cufflinks, you paint your toenails with a Tigers design, have people sign a baseball bat instead of a guestbook, wrap boutonnieres/bouquets with Tigers ribbons, save the dates can look like baseball tickets, personalized Tiger logo m&m favors, etc. Picking just 1-2 low key things will help prevent the birthday party vibe. A groom's cake is a great idea, and from my understanding this is exactly the kind of thing groom's cakes are for (groom is really into X, which the couple wants to acknowledge, but it would be tacky to integrate it into the whole decor).
  • Have you done engagement photos yet?  You could bring cards with numbers and take photos all around the stadium for table numbers.  Or name the tables after influential Tigers. Someone I know was recently at a wedding with Paws. Use blue and orange for your colors.  Walk into the reception to the recording of Ernie Harwell saying lets play ball.  Have a coney station for your late night snack or even a Tastes of Detroit strolling station for dinner with a Tigers stop.

If his last name starts with a D you could do your monogram with the old English D and use that around the space (Fi would love this but wrong name). 
  • I love all of these ideas! Thank you so much :) We actually do plan on having Paws at our reception! We are still trying to work out details though. I planned on using some kind of pedestal candle holder to hold the baseballs up so that they can be seen easily. 
  • This might be a little late, but there actually is a picture on here of a centerpiece that uses baseballs as the table numbers. I actually saved it as an idea of our wedding. I think it such a cool, personal touch!

https://www.theknot.com/real-weddings/baseball-table-numbers-photo-1

Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • you could do section numbers. like section 101 for table 1. we are doing a baseball theme wedding. My FH loves the tigers as well.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards