Moms and Maids

Gift feedback

spatulahandsspatulahands member
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment 5 Love Its
edited April 2016 in Moms and Maids
Ok, I will preface this by saying I know the general wisdom given here is no identical gifts.  That being said, my wedding party all have very similar personalities and interests, and I think this will be something they would all think was really fun; I'm just trying to see if people think it's an okay exception/something people would actually like to have or it would just go in the closet after the wedding day/etc.

A bit of backgroun: because I don't have all women, my MOH, deciding we needed a gender-neutral term, came up with the idea that they were the "Bridescoats" (like the Firefly Browncoats, since all of us are huge nerds and love Firefly).  I was thinking about getting sweatshirts that were sort of a play on that (see photo).  I could also get each person one or two small, more personal items if people think this is fun but not personal enough?
Anniversary>

Re: Gift feedback

• It ain't a gift if it's related to YOUR wedding. You seriously can't think of anything personal to each of your WP?

• Save the $$$ and use it to get them additional non-wedding related items. Anything I've ever received that's personalized for someone else's wedding has been donated shortly after the wedding. 
    --

• Cute idea, but I agree with PPs. Back to the drawing board.
  • This really is a gift for you not your bridesmaids. You love Firefly, but do they? Save the money and put it toward something else. 
  • Ok, I will preface this by saying I know the general wisdom given here is no identical gifts.  That being said, my wedding party all have very similar personalities and interests, and I think this will be something they would all think was really fun; I'm just trying to see if people think it's an okay exception/something people would actually like to have or it would just go in the closet after the wedding day/etc.

A bit of backgroun: because I don't have all women, my MOH, deciding we needed a gender-neutral term, came up with the idea that they were the "Bridescoats" (like the Firefly Browncoats, since all of us are huge nerds and love Firefly).  I was thinking about getting sweatshirts that were sort of a play on that (see photo).  I could also get each person one or two small, more personal items if people think this is fun but not personal enough?
    Yeah, I love a good hoodie, but that's not the one I'd wear.  I don't even think I'd wear a Dr. Who hoodie if it had reference to my friend's wedding.  This might be an okay gift for your friend who came up with the name as a sorta inside joke kinda thing, but certainly not for everyone.
  • Nope from me also. No matter how big a fan I was of the show, I'm just not that into your wedding after it's over.
  • SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I agree- I dislike it because it's making a reference to your wedding. Your friends don't want to advertise your wedding for years to come, even if they do love Firefly.
  • I just searched for gifts for Firefly fans, and both Etsy and Thinkgeek have a variety (just to name 2 sites).  Etsy has t-shirts, jewelry, art prints, etc--plenty of stuff to choose from.  If all your friends are super into Firefly, you could get them each something different (or, hell, even the same shirt if you know they'd all like it) that has nothing to do with your wedding.  ThinkGeek even has a Browncoats tee shirt (but with guns, not bouquets).  

Like adk19, I love Dr. Who, but if you gave me a Dr. Who sweatshirt with some cutesy wedding thing on it, it would be going in the "donate" pile (except there is actually a shirt with the Tardis and that "something old, something new" saying from Amy's wedding episode.  I'd wear that).  
  • Agree with PPs! I LOVE Firefly and would gladly wear a Firefly shirt or hoodie, but not if it's directly wedding related. I'd only wear it the one day and then it would sit in my closet, sadly.
  • I need to get my smelling salts. Why would you do that to the memory of Firefly?

• I love it!!  What a cute idea!  I think getting all the bridesmaids the same gift is totally acceptable.  That's what I'm going to do.
  • I love it!!  What a cute idea!  I think getting all the bridesmaids the same gift is totally acceptable.  That's what I'm going to do.

• Agree with PP but I love @jacques27 idea of incorporating it into a card for them. 

What does that mean?  
  • Knottie # you are reviving a lot of threads that are old. If you want to start a new topic you can, but bumping old threads is...well.... old.
  • justsie said:
    Knottie # you are reviving a lot of threads that are old. If you want to start a new topic you can, but bumping old threads is...well.... old.
    I'm sorry. I wasn't aware that that's what was happening. Just reading thru some of the posts that caught my interest. Sorry it upset you!
  • I am not sure why you think I am upset, you asked a question and I provided an answer. 
  • justsie said:
    Knottie # you are reviving a lot of threads that are old. If you want to start a new topic you can, but bumping old threads is...well.... old.
    I'm sorry. I wasn't aware that that's what was happening. Just reading thru some of the posts that caught my interest. Sorry it upset you!
    Upset us? Uhhhhh...okay. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards