Wedding Photography and Videography Forum

FaceTime?

My Oma (grandmother) has Alzheimer's and is in a memory care facility. My Mom doesn't want to bring her to the wedding (understandably) because she wanders and gets combative and is a high fall risk. I was thinking about asking if the facility has an iPad so she can be on FaceTime during the ceremony and maybe even during some of the reception. My parents and brother don't think it would be a good idea because it would confuse her too much. What do you all think?

I'm still sending her an invitation and bringing her cake and her corsage the next day.

Re: FaceTime?

• Sorry, but I agree with you parents, it might confuse her too much. I'm sorry about your Oma. My Dad had Alzheimer's - horrible disease.
  • MobKazMobKaz member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Are you having the ceremony videotaped?  Perhaps you could bring a copy of the video along and show it to her after the fact.  It might not be as distressing if you can be with her as she views it.  You can monitor her reaction as it is played and narrate the ceremony as it is viewed.
  • edited June 2016
    MobKaz said:
    Are you having the ceremony videotaped?  Perhaps you could bring a copy of the video along and show it to her after the fact.  It might not be as distressing if you can be with her as she views it.  You can monitor her reaction as it is played and narrate the ceremony as it is viewed.
    I like this! I'll see if our photographer can do video as well.

ETA: I'll also ask if she can take video of greetings from my parents, brother, cousins, etc.
  • BTW, @OurWildKingdom, good to see you posting again!
  • BTW, @OurWildKingdom, good to see you posting again!
    Thank you! I missed TK more than I missed FB.
  • I think it's okay to tape it and have it to show her if she's having a good day. But In my experience the memory loss caused by Dimensia/ Alzheimer's is often upsetting to the patient. There's a risk that showing her the video, as well intentioned as it is, could upset her because it's clearly a video of an important moment for someone she's supposed to know but doesn't. 

We are sending FI grandfather with Alzheimer's the program, boutienniere, CD with music, and photos after so his wife and show him when it's a good time in his life to see it and share. 
  • edited June 2016
    Thanks everyone. I visited Oma on Sunday, and that confirmed that a visit the next day would be better than FaceTime during the ceremony and part of the reception would be. She still kind of knows I'm her granddaughter, and she knows FW's name but doesn't always know who FW is. Plus the technology might throw her off. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards