Registry and Gift Forum

Registry information on website?

So this question occurred to me due to the thread about asking people to donate for charities...

Is it ok to say on your wedding website where you are registered? Obviously it won't be included with our invitations and I thought many people's advice was to include it on your website instead. I'm thinking a simple statement along the lines of "We are registered at ABC store." somewhere on the Additional Information page. Is this rude or presumptuous of receiving gifts?

Re: Registry information on website?

• There are conflicting opinions on this. I, personally, think it is ok to do so. With a lot of wedding guests being scattered around the country it isn't as easy to ask the MOB/MOG or other family members where a person is registered.

• I think it's fine as long as....

1.  It's not on the first page.

2.  It's not overly obvious, e.g. include in a list of FAQ, but not a huge big heading saying REGISTRY.

3.  Personally I don't like clickable links, but I wouldn't side eye them on a friends website.

This is just my 2 cents, but I understand there are different opinions on this.
    However, in this day and age people expect these things to be on line. Traditionally registry information was word of mouth only, but then again there were no wedding websites 20 years ago.
  • It's so easy to Google the bride's and groom's names and find their registries that it doesn't seem that necessary to have that info even on the website. That said, I don't mind seeing it there as long as it's not in your face in any way.
  • geebee908 said:
    It's so easy to Google the bride's and groom's names and find their registries that it doesn't seem that necessary to have that info even on the website. That said, I don't mind seeing it there as long as it's not in your face in any way.
    I didn't realize until TK that you could google this information, so older guests might not realize it.
  • I don't mind it on the website. I feel like the point of the website is to give people extra info without having to contact the couple. A registry is something people often have to ask the couple about, so it's a FAQ and safe on a place of info.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • I don't mind that information on a wedding website, provided it is on a tab and not the first thing I see. I don't mind a link as sometimes, registry websites are weird.
  • Ok, great. That's essentially what we are planning (in a FAQ page, not on the main page or a separate tab) so thank you!
  • MobKazMobKaz member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    geebee908 said:
    It's so easy to Google the bride's and groom's names and find their registries that it doesn't seem that necessary to have that info even on the website. That said, I don't mind seeing it there as long as it's not in your face in any way.
    I'm going to disagree just a little bit with this comment.  I am older, but fairly savvy in regards to searching out registries.  However, some searches require you to have the name(s) exactly the way in which the couple was registered.  Did they use their full names or their nicknames? Some couples may "tweak" their names a bit for privacy reasons.   I have noticed that if the couple has created a website, their registries pop up easier than those that have not created a website, because it is their website that pops up first in the search.

I think including the information on a website is acceptable.  I agree that it should not be the first link I find.
  • SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I think it is fine to have it on the wedding website, on a separate tab.

We had a tab that said "Registry". And on that page it simply said "We are registered at Bed, Bath and Beyond".

With a wedding website, it's not your invitation, guests aren't required to look at it at all if they don't want. And with tabs, a guest can look at your website without having to look at each tab.
  • geebee908 said:
    I didn't realize until TK that you could google this information, so older guests might not realize it.
    I think that also depends on the store you're registered at. Places like Macy's and BBB show up in google searches I'm pretty sure, but I just did a google search for my own registry and the only thing that came up was my wedding website (I'm in the UK though, so it may be different). 

We had the info on our website but not on the front page - guests had to want to find it.
  • I googled my registry (UK) and got nothing..
  • I'm so glad you asked this @ironring because I have left that tab hidden on my website because it just felt a little icky for me to put it on there since I wasn't sure how it would be received.
  • @DrillSergeantCat haha no problem! Glad I'm not the only one who was second guessing myself on this!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards