Wedding Woes

Um you've given up...and that's OK.

Dear Prudence,
I’m a humanities Ph.D. who had to move abroad to find work, and I’m starting another year in a country confronting a complicated, terrorism-related political situation. Increasingly, I’m exploring opportunities in other industries, and I wondered if you had any thoughts about how you know when to give up on a vocation.

—When to Change Careers

Re: Um you've given up...and that's OK.

• Interesting as H and I just had a discussion about getting out of academia. I'm trying a little consulting on the side to see how that feels. 

If she's ready to leave then that's great, but this is a career that once you get out its so so much harder to get back in.  
  • I feel like this is a "do what feels right" moment. It may be hard to go back to whatever she's doing now, but if she doesn't explore her options, she may always wonder if she should have. 

I was in the same boat about a year ago. I did what felt right and so far, I have no regrets. 

"And when they use our atoms to make new lives, they won’t just be able to take one, they’ll have to take two, one of you and one of me..."
    --Philip Pullman

• The LW is a "caught up in the romance of the idea, but never stopped to ask 'Do I actually want to BE a...' for that Ph.D."...  The LW has already left that vocation and looking for an excuse...

Life is too short to work in a career/vocation that is going to kill you (health goes in the toilet, stress level is excessively high, weight gain, poor self-care, etc.).. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards