Wedding Invitations & Paper

I think I f'd up...

Ok.. so...

FI and had originally planned on having a plated meal at our reception. I ordered RSVP cards and everything was fine. Then I realized I ordered the RSVP cards with only one meal selection space (stupid!).

FI and I are now thinking about having a buffet at our reception. FI would now prefer buffet, but keeps saying "oh but we already ordered RSVP cards"... I think we'll need to re order cards either way...

What do you think?

I almost think we could keep the cards because we will need to let the venue know if anyone prefers a vegetarian meal...but I worry about people thinking they will be getting a plated meal and then being disappointed by a buffet?

If we reorder cards I already plan on including an insert with directions and hotel accommodations information. I thought I could add a note that says something like "If you'd prefer a vegetarian meal, please let us know"

Our current RSVP cards:

The standard cards from the website we would order:

Re: I think I f'd up...

• If I received your current RSVP, I would expect the meal to be plated.  With that said, if I arrived and it was actually a buffet, it would not bother me personally even one bit.

Though you should have an option on the buffet for each one of those choices.  I could see a guest being disappointed if they chose "beef", but then there were not any beef choices.

I guess the only reason for separate spaces for entrée selections is to know specifically which guest from one invitation is having which entrée.  Otherwise, your guests could just put the total number for each entrée choice.  For example, a couple with their two kids invited might put "2 for beef, 1 for chicken, and 1 for vegetarian".

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I went to a wedding recently where the RSVP card gave the options "Meat or Vegetarian". BF and I both eat meat, but sometimes I like to try the veg option so I selected one of each. The bride called me to let me know it was a buffet but they had a special veg or vegan plated meal that could be made. We were like, "oh no we eat meat so no special meal needed"

To be honest, the way they did it was a bit confusing, but not a problem. I didn't necessarily mind, it just caused a little more work for the bride (who had to call me to clarify).
  • If I received your current RSVP, I would expect the meal to be plated.  With that said, if I arrived and it was actually a buffet, it would not bother me personally even one bit.

Though you should have an option on the buffet for each one of those choices.  I could see a guest being disappointed if they chose "beef", but then there were not any beef choices.

I guess the only reason for separate spaces for entrée selections is to know specifically which guest from one invitation is having which entrée.  Otherwise, your guests could just put the total number for each entrée choice.  For example, a couple with their two kids invited might put "2 for beef, 1 for chicken, and 1 for vegetarian".

This is exactly what we did for DD's wedding. I wouldn't spend the money on new cards if I were you - unless as PPs said you are not going to have one of those entrees on the buffet.
  • Thanks guys!

We will be serving both a beef and chicken option in the buffet. Thanks!
  • I'm with all of the above posters: as long ans beef and chicken are both available on the buffet you are fine.  Might even wind up being helpful to the caterer if, for example, 90% of the attendees want beef then the caterer might include more beef portions than normal.  (Of course some will change their minds and many will take some of each, but if there is a huge disparity in choice that might be useful to know and factor in somehow.)

For what it's worth, I think you are stressing out far too much.  By the time I get to a wedding it has probably been a few weeks since I have seen the RSVP card.  I doubt I would even remember how it was set up/what choices were included unless it was something super weird.
  • I think what you have is fine, and it wouldn't bother me one bit to get a buffet even though I thought it was plated. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards