Honeymoon Discussions

Punta Cana,DR vs Playa Mujeres, MX

hi my fiancé and I are trying to figure out which location.  We want an adult only resort with great beach.  Not sure on sight seeing being a necessity, but it is a consideration as I'm not a lay on the beach all week type guy.  We would be traveling beginning of or mid May next year.

Re: Punta Cana,DR vs Playa Mujeres, MX

• The best beach in Mexico is Maroma. There are a few adults-only resorts in that area. However, Playa Mujeres is nice, too. I personally think you'll find more to do outside of the resort in Mexico as well.

• There isn't a ton of sight seeing to do outside of Punta Cana. There are some excursions you can arrange from resorts (horse back riding, zip lines, aquariums and dolphin swims) and a few towns to go in to, but I found that it wasn't really easy to do so we stayed mainly in the resort. There are other parts of DR that's easier to do that sort of thing (closer to the capital or  near Casa de Campo) but I found Punta Cana to be resort heavy. 
  • My trip to Punta Cana was my favorite vacation ever, but I am a beach bum. I enjoy just hanging out on the beach with a good book. I'd definitely go back.
  • There isn't a ton of sight seeing to do outside of Punta Cana. There are some excursions you can arrange from resorts (horse back riding, zip lines, aquariums and dolphin swims) and a few towns to go in to, but I found that it wasn't really easy to do so we stayed mainly in the resort. There are other parts of DR that's easier to do that sort of thing (closer to the capital or  near Casa de Campo) but I found Punta Cana to be resort heavy. 
    As someone who used to book travel for a living, this is absolutely my understanding as well.  There isn't really much to *do* in Punta Cana, and traveling off the resort by yourself can be rather dicey.  With that said, Punta Cana does have the better beaches between the two locations.  In the end I think it comes down to a choice between more stunning and more interesting. 
  • Went to Cancun for our honeymoon and loved it. If you're an active type, I definitely recommend somewhere on the Yucatan Peninsula! We went to Chichen Itza and Tulum on separate day trips (Mayan ruins, if you're into that type of thing it's AMAZING), plus swimming in a cenote (underground natural pools are all over the Yucatan) and snorkeling on Isla Mujeres. There are also a bunch of adventure parks where you can zip line, ATV, etc. We can't wait to get back someday.
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards