Wedding Woes

Wedding card shopping sucks!

Just went to two stores...  Came up with NOTHING good! 

Backstory: My physical trainer is marrying her FW this coming Saturday in a small backyard ceremony and was going to send her a card (She moved ~300 miles away since I trained with her but we've maintained the friendship)..  So went to the store thinking "get a card sent early enough so it's there before Saturday" (and maybe throw in a $7 toaster for comedic value - which my friend would give a good laugh to!)...  And do you think I could find ONE card that wasn't super religious or had the typical Bride/Groom NO!!  I don't really want to print my own but this just gets the "REALLY PEOPLE?!?!?!" for the card makers!

Re: Wedding card shopping sucks!

• jacques27jacques27 member
    First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited July 2016
    I've always had excellent luck with Papyrus cards.  They are usually a little more expensive though.  I've never had a problem finding an appropriate card with Papyrus (and I generally prefer giving more generic image/sentiments regardless of gender makeup of the couple as a rule).  Their website only lists their actual stores, but I've always picked them up at Target or Caribou.
  • That is why I now make all my cards. I got so sick of not finding something appropriate. It is also a lot cheaper once you have all the basic supplies.
  • Target has a line of gorgeous Papyrus cards.  I got one for DH's cousin.  They're about $8, but they are worth it since people hang on to wedding cards. 

And they have them for all couple types.  :) 
  • I second Target. I picked up a gender neutral, non religious, and not sappy wedding card there for the last wedding I went to.
  • I go with blank cards and write my own message. Most of them are either super religious (I am not) or over the top sappy which doesn't feel right for most of our friends. 

How do do you all make your own cards?
  • I go with blank cards and write my own message. Most of them are either super religious (I am not) or over the top sappy which doesn't feel right for most of our friends. 

How do do you all make your own cards?

I started off my finding a scrapbooking/crafting store that was offering an intro class into card making. I took a few classes to find out the basics and then started reading blogs and looking online for ideas. My first few weren't great but now I'm pretty good. I also picked up supplies a little bit at a time. I'll find someone selling a lot of supplies for cheap on Kijiji and I'll buy it.
  • ernursej said:
    That is why I now make all my cards. I got so sick of not finding something appropriate. It is also a lot cheaper once you have all the basic supplies.
    I make Wooz do some of my cards now.  Doesn't work for everything, but for stuff like Father's Day, grandparents' birthdays, etc., I just get her blank cards and embellishments from Michael's and let her go nuts.  There is a subset of our card-receiving audience who far prefers that to anything Hallmark does.
  • Can I just say how much I HATE it when things are needlessly gendered?  I was shopping for a baby shower recently and just wanted a onesie with a particular geeky saying on it.  Well, my options were pink or blue for $X or white for $X+5.  Seriously?  You want more of my dollars to get the stupid shirt in a garbage color like white?  I wound up buying a completely different gift, but not before having a mini rage attack.  Don't even get me started on the fact that they just painted our bathrooms at work...purple for the ladies room and blue for the mens'.
  • Can I just say how much I HATE it when things are needlessly gendered?  I was shopping for a baby shower recently and just wanted a onesie with a particular geeky saying on it.  Well, my options were pink or blue for $X or white for $X+5.  Seriously?  You want more of my dollars to get the stupid shirt in a garbage color like white?  I wound up buying a completely different gift, but not before having a mini rage attack.  Don't even get me started on the fact that they just painted our bathrooms at work...purple for the ladies room and blue for the mens'.
    white is bad for babies - stains too easily. get the blue. 

I agree with you on the annoyance factor of this - and honestly, it's up to the parents how they want to react. We didn't know if we were having a boy or girl until about 5 minutes after she was born. People decided that because of the in-utero nickname (Wolverine) that we were having a boy and just didn't want to tell anyone. We ended up getting some "boy" stuff (because "we want to be surprised" was too far out there for them to comprehend) and she wore it anyways. I still occasionally buy her stuff in the boys' department (she's almost 6) because until recently they didn't have much superhero stuff in the girls' department, and she likes super heroes and the ninja turtles more than princesses. 
  • SaintPaulGalSaintPaulGal member
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited July 2016
    I don't want to get too far off track, but I failed to express myself well in my last post.  I knew she was expecting a girl.  It just makes me feel gross to play into a culture of strictly enforced gender norms by jumping on the "penis=blue, no penis=pink" bandwagon.  I got a different outfit that came in yellow instead.  The design wasn't as cute but I felt better about it.

ETA: Not that there is anything wrong with a little girl liking pink or a little boy liking blue.  I just hate the prescriptive idea that because your genitals are a certain shape you *must* have certain likes and dislikes, mandated even before the moment of your birth.
  • I don't want to get too far off track, but I failed to express myself well in my last post.  I knew she was expecting a girl.  It just makes me feel gross to play into a culture of strictly enforced gender norms by jumping on the "penis=blue, no penis=pink" bandwagon.  I got a different outfit that came in yellow instead.  The design wasn't as cute but I felt better about it.

ETA: Not that there is anything wrong with a little girl liking pink or a little boy liking blue.  I just hate the prescriptive idea that because your genitals are a certain shape you *must* have certain likes and dislikes, mandated even before the moment of your birth.
    Did you know the colors used to be reversed? Pink was considered an appropriate color for boys because it's a lighter tint of red and red symbolized courage. Blue was considered a more delicate color and associated with girls. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards