Wedding Woes

Not the point, but is he the fiance or boyfriend?

Dear Prudence,
This weekend on vacation I ended up fighting with my fiancé and told him I thought we would be better apart. The thing is that I don’t know if it’s because I’m depressed (we’ve had a really tough year—he lost his job and went back to school, while I am in a challenging doctoral program) or because it’s really time to part ways. We talk about our issues, and whenever I wasn’t depressed his support, love, and encouragement made my heart happy. Now I feel separated from everything in my life and think that maybe I should separate from him too. It’s not like there’s anything wrong with him or that he’s an awful person (he’s actually a wonderful person). It’s just that I feel “meh” about everything. Complicating factor: He’s planning to ask me to marry him in August.

—Depression and Romance 

Re: Not the point, but is he the fiance or boyfriend?

• So many questions. 

If she's not seeing a therapist now is the time to start. It's great he's been there for her but there are a lot of red flags in that letter that don't seem to have anything to do with him, and everything to do with her. 

Also, a fiancé that is planning to propose in August?
  • They're engaged to be engaged. ;)

She sounds depressed. I get like that too when I am experiencing a low. I push everything away. I feel isolated so I isolate further. She needs to talk to a therapist and to her boyfriend if she want to stay in the relationship.
  • She needs to speak to her doctor or therapist and get a meds adjustment.  She is sinking into her depression and pushing people away won't make it better, it will only make it worse.
  • I mean first things first, no proposal or wedding planning till they figure out what they want, right? Put that shit on ice, stat.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards