Wedding 911

Breaking the no kids news...Even when clearly stated.

My fiance and I clearly stated on the invites that we were having an adult reception. But we keep getting rsvps with kids included in the count. Our guest list and budget is already maxed out with no kids and I'm way past my boiling point. I could really use some advice on how to make the point more clear? Any help is appreciated!

Re: Breaking the no kids news...Even when clearly stated.

• PP's have this covered.  Including "adults only" on an invite is considered rude, but that ship has sailed so nothing you can do now.  Just call the people up and tell them that "I'm sorry if I was unclear, but the invitation was only for you and SO.  We hope you can still make it to the wedding."  From there they will either confirm that just they are attending or they will decline.
  • I find it weird that it keeps happening, especially since it's stated on the invite.  Is someone spreading the word that kids ARE allowed?  Or are they just taking the piss out of you?

PPs have everything else covered. 
  • Spoonsey said:
    I find it weird that it keeps happening, especially since it's stated on the invite.  Is someone spreading the word that kids ARE allowed?  Or are they just taking the piss out of you?

PPs have everything else covered. 
    Completely agree. OP, did you address the invitations to just "Mr. and Mrs. Engelbert Humperdinck"? Or did you address the invitations to The Humperdinck Family? This might account for the confusion.

Also echoing PPs that it was extremely rude of you to put adults only on the invitation, but that ship has sailed. Hopefully this will be a lesson to lurkers.
  • I don't think it's rude to say adult only reception on your invitations. It's YOUR wedding, not theirs. I had 2 people bring their kids and it pissed me off to no end. Thankfully, I had room for them but the fact remained I did not want kids. I don't have children and I will not entertain them. You need to put your foot down, if they don't show up forget them. Not everything revolves around their kids. 
  • I don't think it's rude to say adult only reception on your invitations. It's YOUR wedding, not theirs. I had 2 people bring their kids and it pissed me off to no end. Thankfully, I had room for them but the fact remained I did not want kids. I don't have children and I will not entertain them. You need to put your foot down, if they don't show up forget them. Not everything revolves around their kids. 
    You don't make mention of people who are not invited. Let's say you're only inviting family. You wouldn't put "family only" on an invitation, would you? NO, you wouldn't. Why? Because it isn't necessary to make notations about who isn't invited. The invitees are made known via their names being on the envelope. No need to point out that you didn't name anyone else on the envelope. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
    It's never polite to indicate on an invitation who isn't invited -- regardless of whether they're kids or anyone else.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards