Attire & Accessories Forum

10 year renewal, rustic theme wedding, Need Ideas

We are looking to renew our vows in 2018.  My husband and I threw our first wedding together in a matter of 2 weeks.  It was very low key, and wasn't really much to talk about.  Now, my husband wants us to have the wedding that we didn't get to have, and celebrate our 10 years of marriage.  So, we want to incorporate nature and have a rustic theme.  This is what we have so far, but would love so help!  We are trying to locate a barn, and yes, even though we live in Vermont, shockingly there are not a lot of wedding barns!

We have thought of a wood/grapevine arbor with flowers like peony, wisteria, moss and translucent white material draped through the arbor where we get married under.  We want 2 whiskey barrels with draping flowers at our entrance.  Old/Aged crates with a whiskey barrel as the cake stand.  A naked cake instead of a traditional cake.  Burlap and lace wedding invitations.  Tree slice with mason jar, wine bottle with wildflowers, and floating candles surrounding with moss for centerpieces, and pinecones for tables/seating our guests.  But that is as far as we have gotten.  Would love ideas.

Re: 10 year renewal, rustic theme wedding, Need Ideas

• We are looking to renew our vows in 2018.  My husband and I threw our first wedding together in a matter of 2 weeks.  It was very low key, and wasn't really much to talk about.  Now, my husband wants us to have the wedding that we didn't get to have, and celebrate our 10 years of marriage.  So, we want to incorporate nature and have a rustic theme.  This is what we have so far, but would love so help!  We are trying to locate a barn, and yes, even though we live in Vermont, shockingly there are not a lot of wedding barns!

We have thought of a wood/grapevine arbor with flowers like peony, wisteria, moss and translucent white material draped through the arbor where we get married under.  We want 2 whiskey barrels with draping flowers at our entrance.  Old/Aged crates with a whiskey barrel as the cake stand.  A naked cake instead of a traditional cake.  Burlap and lace wedding invitations.  Tree slice with mason jar, wine bottle with wildflowers, and floating candles surrounding with moss for centerpieces, and pinecones for tables/seating our guests.  But that is as far as we have gotten.  Would love ideas.
    You got married, and that was your wedding. The fact that you became a married couple that day should be the most important thing. By all means, throw a kickass 10th anniversary party. But it is not a wedding. That just means don't have a pretend ceremony (because you're already married) and don't wear an obvious wedding gown (but still wear a fab dress!). Cake, centerpieces, and a fun party are all perfectly fine!
  • Sounds like you've gotten the decor all set, what other ideas are you looking for? Since you posted on the attire board are you looking for dress suggestions? The great thing about vow renewal dresses is that they can be any color or style that you want (so can wedding dresses...). What are you thinking?

I agree with PPs that your next steps should be thinking about food,drinks, music, etc.; the things that your guests really will care about and make your renewal great. 
  • Yeah, what ideas do you need since you seem to have your rustic decor handled?
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • First thing you should do is change your username.  With the both you and your H's names in it, you could easily have bad things happen.  So internet safety and all, change it now!

I think having a 10 year renewal is a bit early.  Unless you went through some marital strife and want to re-commit, I don't really understand the need to have a renewal.  You really just seem to want to have the fancy wedding you missed out on 10 years ago.  Why not just own the wedding you had?  You are no less married to your H now.  If you really want to renew your vows, take the money you were going to spend, go on a fabulous vacation with the money and renew your vows privately while on vacation.

I think at minimum, a couple should wait 15 years for a renewal, but even then.  I think its too soon.

• SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Doing a 10 year vow renewal isn't lying to anyone or re-creating anything, so while personally someone else might not do it, it isn't *wrong*. OP, if that is how you and your husband wish to spend your money, go for it.

However, I am also wondering, exactly what is your question?

Sounds like you've got the decor figured out. But you've still got the most important things to plan- venue, seating, food and drink.

This is the attire board, so are you looking for dress ideas? I agree that with a renewal your options are anything.
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    edited August 2016
    Here is an excellent site for vow renewal etiquette.  Vow renewals are not second weddings.  They have different rules.  For instance, no wedding dress, no bridesmaids or groomsmen, no gifts or registries, no showers or bachelor parties.

http://www.idotaketwo.com/blog/vow-renewal-etiquette-2/

httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • ei34ei34 member
      We are trying to locate a barn, and yes, even though we live in Vermont, shockingly there are not a lot of wedding barns!

I think you mean vow renewal barn.  ;) If you're looking for a venue, maybe some of your favorite farmer's market sellers rent out their space for events?  It'd be worth asking them if this is the type of venue you want.  Do ask them about seating/restrooms/parking etc all of the things pertaining to guest comfort and convenience, which is sometimes difficult to pull off outdoors/at a barn.  The decor does sounds lovely but first priority is definitely guest comfort.
    If your question is related to attire, an lacy dress would be pretty. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards