Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

Wedding Dress Shopping

I went shopping for my wedding dress without my mom. I lived out of town and she had been dropping hints that I should get a move on getting a dress. I found and bought my dress without her and now she is heartbroken (and so am I). Have any of you done this? How have you made it up to her?

Re: Wedding Dress Shopping

• I also live away from my mom, and bought my dress without her. She probably will not see me in it until the wedding day, as she is also unable to make it to my dress fittings. Hang in there -- you are not alone on this! I like the idea of trying to go dress shopping with her for her dress if you are able, or also, if you can bring her to your fittings, do that. 

However, even if you can't do these things (I wasn't able to do any of them), remember that on the wedding day, your mom is probably going to be the person there helping you get in your dress and ready. It's a fun idea to have your mom there to buy a big purchase like your dress with you, but there are a lot of brides who can't manage this. It doesn't mean your mom is less important to you as a future bride, and remind her of that!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I bought my dress without my mom- I lived OOT at the time, so it wasn't feasible.

I sent her pictures of me in the dress right when I bought it. She still didn't see it until the day of.
  • See if she can come with you to any fittings.  That way she'll be the first one to see you in the dress that is fitted to you and therefore looks 5000% more wonderful.

Another option would be to have only her in the room when you put your dress on on your wedding day.  Have her help with any buttons/corset and have that be a special moment with just her.

• @Knottie1460327909 - Please check the date below the poster's screen name before commenting - this one is over 2 months old. @emmaaa Also, it helps if you change your screen name to something unique so you can integrate into the community.
    *********************************************************************************

• @Knottie1460327909

You are really starting to annoy me with all these old threads you are resurrecting.  STOP IT!!!!
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Why are forum posts open to comments if there's a two month zombie-post rule? 
  • Why are forum posts open to comments if there's a two month zombie-post rule? 
    Being a member for 4 years, I think you know it's less of a rule and more of a guideline.
  • SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    It's not that people CANNOT post, it is that the posts have been inactive for so long that it is likely whatever the OP was asking/talking about has already happened, and thus a moot point. Many times the OP isn't continuing to be an active community member.
  • The post remains open for at least 4-6 months after the latest reply as long as the conversation is still pertaining to the OP. So that is when a mod will close the thread. However, a good rule of thumb is to not resurrect an old post that hasn't had replies in quite some time because like PPs said, chances are the OP has moved on or their wedding has already happened. 

when in doubt, just start a new thread if you have a question

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards