Attire & Accessories Forum

Not into bridal shops

So, I had my first wedding dress appointment. Meh...I'd honestly rather shop by myself than have an attendant guide me. I was not impressed by the process nor was I that thrilled. I did find 4 dresses that I liked enough to consider going back to try on again if I find nothing else.

I was wondering if anyone had any reputable websites or physical stores they would recommend for wedding dresses. I am checking out ModCloth right now (so excited that they have a wedding line now!) and I went to Macy's and Nordstrom's today, but didn't leave with anything.

I do have an appointment with David's Bridal next week that I will keep.

I am mostly looking for a knee-length dress...possibly even a "bridesmaid" dress.

Thank you!

Re: Not into bridal shops

• If you're just looking for a knee length dress I'd mostly skip bridal stores. Try Bhldn, JCrew, Saks, Bloomingdales etc. 
  • Thank you! I will probably go back to the mall and check out some more stores
  • You're on the right track with the department stores. Even in Macy's I saw gorgeous white formal dresses. I bought mine at Nordstrom in the formalwear department, not their bridal department. Another bonus is that you can try on your actual size and should only need many minor alterations at best (like, mine had to be shortened but that's it). Biggest bonus is that the costs are far, far, far less than bridal salons. Macy's you could get a dress for like $150; mine was on sale at Nordstrom for like $350 or so. Unless you hit DB's $99 gown sale, bridal shops are hard pressed to have much under $500 or even $1000.

• I agree that if you are going for a shorter (I'm assuming less traditional but still formal?) dress that avoid the Bridal Salons will give you what you want for a better price.  You will even have the added bonus of not having to work with a consultant (and at DB's they will likely have other women to tend to in addition to you so they are only so helpful). 

If you are cool with the idea you might even want to check out some local thrift stores in your area.  I have seen many beautiful dresses, ranging in formality from weddings to BBQ's that are very affordable...I know by me there are a few "up-scale" consignment shops that only stock nice, stain and rip free clothing items.

• David's Bridal appointment went ok. My consultant was actually pretty helpful and understanding that I wasn't going for the traditional bridal look. I tried on a few bridesmaid dresses and chose three for them to write down for me.

I feel like I might order a few dresses online to try on at home, since I can always return them. 

I'll also keep checking out the department stores!
  • Jax43615 said:
    David's Bridal appointment went ok. My consultant was actually pretty helpful and understanding that I wasn't going for the traditional bridal look. I tried on a few bridesmaid dresses and chose three for them to write down for me.

I feel like I might order a few dresses online to try on at home, since I can always return them. 

I'll also keep checking out the department stores!
    Be very careful!  Do not order anything from China!  They tell you that you can return the dress, but when you want to do that, suddenly they don't speak English.  Lots of brides have been ripped off by Chinese knock off vendors.

David's Bridal will let you return most dresses, but not clearance dresses, and their turn around time frame is very short.  Read very carefully before you do this.

About Macy's, I believe they are in bed with Demetrios, and their shops are run by Demetrios Bridal.  Nothing wrong with this, but you won't find other designers there.

Alfred Angelo has their own bridal shops, as well as selling dresses through boutique bridal shops.

Good luck.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • I've had decent luck with a couple sites from China, but - when I've ordered from there, my expectation is "at my own risk!", I understand the "level" is not going to be there, if something doesn't fit/made poorly it's my problem now, and that I am going to budget for taking the dress immediately to the cleaners to have steamed/pressed out.  (my issue is being plus sized, finding my size in a particular cut/style is pretty much impossible unless I sew it or risk it).. 

Also, unless you're shopping at JC Penny or Sears or other storefront, you aren't going to get a real return policy for anything bridal. Some limit the return to 3 days after shipping confirmation of delivery, others, like David's - good luck!  You may get a store credit or exchange for the right size at best. 

• I do not know your location, but if you have it, I recommend TJ Maxx. It has a lot of nice knee length formal dresses, especially this time of year. You can shop online there now with free in-store returns. I have never returned anything by mail, but I hear it's an easy process. 
    "Marriage is so disruptive to one's social circle." - Mr. Woodhouse
  • I ordered my dress from Modcloth and I love it. It is called the Aisle Be There dress and it is knee length with a retro vibe. It's made of satin and the fabric is thick and of excellent quality. 
  • I got this tea length dress at David's bridal. I had it shortened a little more. On their website, it came just below the knee on the model (I'm short so it was more a little above my ankles) 

macys demitrios had really nice bridesmaids dresses. I actually ordered my first dress from there (it was a bridesmaids dress) but then they told me it didn't come in white. 

I found most bridal stores had nothing on the short side. I found a cute white short dress at dress barn and had I found that before David's bridal, I would have gone with that. 

So check out the mall too!
  • I got this tea length dress at David's bridal. I had it shortened a little more. On their website, it came just below the knee on the model (I'm short so it was more a little above my ankles) 

macys demitrios had really nice bridesmaids dresses. I actually ordered my first dress from there (it was a bridesmaids dress) but then they told me it didn't come in white. 

I found most bridal stores had nothing on the short side. I found a cute white short dress at dress barn and had I found that before David's bridal, I would have gone with that. 

So check out the mall too!
    That is a beautiful dress!
  • One of my girlfriends just showed me a picture of the wedding dress she bought on line at Sears for $119.00. It looked beautiful. I will update when it gets in and we physically see it.
  • Thank you for all the advice!

I didn't think I would have this much trouble finding a dress. I guess I am pickier than I thought I was!

I discovered that I like a lot of Alfred Angelo bridesmaid dresses, so I booked an appt at one of their shops for next week. I'm still scouring the internet though. I find that I also do not have the patience for it, but I'm sure I'll find something!

As of now, the search continues...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards