Wedding Woes

MUA cancelled 29 days before the wedding

So I booked on-site wedding hair and make up services for myself and my bridal party of 3 with a service that has great reviews on the wedding websites. The trials went great! Contract signed, deposit placed.

Today, I got an email from the owner stating that my MUA is having some personal issue, is leaving the area, has to cancel for my wedding. This is 28 days before my wedding. I am in a panic. I am still booked with this company for hair.

The owner tells me she has one possible replacement and gives me her contact info. I texted the replacement MUA today to schedule a trial, asking what her availability was. She said she would look at her schedule. I waited 4 hours, no reply. I texted again to let her know in general what times would work for me. She texted me back "ok cool!" Still waiting to book a trial.

I am wondering how long to give the MUA to schedule with me before I go back to the owner, let her know I am in a time crunch and want to schedule ASAP, and that the MUA is not scheduling with me. How long before I start looking around for other companies? My fiancé said I should book trials with other companies now and cancel them if the one with the initial company works out, but that seems really unfair to the new companies.

Any advice? I am really in a panic!

Re: MUA cancelled 29 days before the wedding

• This is not the end of the world.  Some brides actually do their own hair and makeup.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • thanks for the replies!! i appreciate the advice!!

CMG - i have very poor skills to do my own hair and make up. :( but thanks for the cat pic!!!
  • SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I agree to give this person a couple of days before you freak out. If she doesn't respond, then go back to the company. I assume if they cannot provide you with a MUA, that you would be free to bring your own MUA in?

If worse comes to worse, you could get your make up done before your hair at Sephora.
  • I would give her 24 hours to return your phone call. If she doesn't, I would call her and leave a message stating that you would like a reply by x date or you will have to find another MUA.
  • This is a "Remember - funerals are planned in the span of three days in some circumstances using many of the same vendors"...  No one thinks about this one.. 

OP - Take a breath, eat a cupcake - if I was a MUA you were contacting like that I'd find a way to be busy because it screams PITA client even though you're just freaked out because of the cancellation...  Worst case scenario you call up your local Mary Kay beauty gal and hire them to do the job with a huge tip on top of the makeup.  If you do your daily makeup it's not a stretch to do it on your wedding day as well, just take out the foundation a little further into the scalp/neck lines, remember to reapply lipstick, and you're golden.. 

• MesmrEwe said:

This is a "Remember - funerals are planned in the span of three days in some circumstances using many of the same vendors"...  No one thinks about this one.. 

OP - Take a breath, eat a cupcake - if I was a MUA you were contacting like that I'd find a way to be busy because it screams PITA client even though you're just freaked out because of the cancellation...  Worst case scenario you call up your local Mary Kay beauty gal and hire them to do the job with a huge tip on top of the makeup.  If you do your daily makeup it's not a stretch to do it on your wedding day as well, just take out the foundation a little further into the scalp/neck lines, remember to reapply lipstick, and you're golden.. 

How is that relevant to booking a make-up artist?

• 6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    It took far too long to figure out MUA.

Give the woman at least a day to respond, follow up with the people you contracted with.  Worst case ask a friend.
  • Viczaesar said:
    MesmrEwe said:

This is a "Remember - funerals are planned in the span of three days in some circumstances using many of the same vendors"...  No one thinks about this one.. 

My mom used to be a hairdresser (family only these days) and she did hair for the deceased quite a few times. I could easily imagine a MUA being hired for the same reason.
  • My mom used to be a hairdresser (family only these days) and she did hair for the deceased quite a few times. I could easily imagine a MUA being hired for the same reason.
    I always just assumed the funeral home did that. Interesting. 
  • My mom used to be a hairdresser (family only these days) and she did hair for the deceased quite a few times. I could easily imagine a MUA being hired for the same reason.
    I always just assumed the funeral home did that. Interesting. 
    I did too until the show Mike and Molly when the pot head sister started a job doing it. Although maybe she was employed by the funeral home idk
  • OP - I'm wasn't the best at doing my makeup either.  But I was going to be in a wedding and couldn't afford the cost.  So I bought the make up that I needed, I splurged and made sure to buy all day foundation, eye shadow, and lipstick.  Then I just practiced each night to get it right.  If you are worried about finding a new MUA in time, then start practicing now.  I guarantee you will probably find what works for you. If you do this, know that you should have slightly darker eye shadows and eye liner.  You will get washed out by a professional photographer's flash.

Now when I am in weddings, I still have my hair professionally done, but I always do my own make up.

• OP, just take a deep breath you will be fine.  I had to find a new hair/MUA the WEEK before my wedding and it all worked out.  This is what I would do.

1.  Give the MUA some time to respond, she may have any number of reasons that see can't get back to you right away.  If she doesn't reply within 24-36 hours, try calling her.

2.  If the MUA is not working out, look around at local salons, quite a few will provide day of makeup...you would likely have no problem booking this at 2 weeks out if you decide to go this route.  I know I booked a salon for hair and makeup for 2 moms, 4 BMs and Me and they had us done in 2 hours!!!

3. Ask friends/family that are good at makeup if they have any suggestions of MUA friends (not invited to the wedding) that you could hire.  Or if they wouldn't mind showing you how to do a wedding look that you could replicate yourself if need be.

4. If all else fails and your wedding is late enough in the day you can hit up your local mall and stop by a makeup counter and in exchange for making a purchase or two get your look done there.

Obviously which option you choose is up to you, but they are out there and a month out is still plenty of time to get this done.  Everything will be ok, I promise! :)

• Viczaesar said:
    MesmrEwe said:

My mom used to be a hairdresser (family only these days) and she did hair for the deceased quite a few times. I could easily imagine a MUA being hired for the same reason.
    In my experience MUA who work on corpses are either employed by a funeral home or have different scheduling systems.  It is a much easier process to find someone to do make-up for an open casket than it is to find a MUA to do make-up for a wedding last minute.  I see them as apples and oranges.

• So I booked on-site wedding hair and make up services for myself and my bridal party of 3 with a service that has great reviews on the wedding websites. The trials went great! Contract signed, deposit placed.

Today, I got an email from the owner stating that my MUA is having some personal issue, is leaving the area, has to cancel for my wedding. This is 28 days before my wedding. I am in a panic. I am still booked with this company for hair.

The owner tells me she has one possible replacement and gives me her contact info. I texted the replacement MUA today to schedule a trial, asking what her availability was. She said she would look at her schedule. I waited 4 hours, no reply. I texted again to let her know in general what times would work for me. She texted me back "ok cool!" Still waiting to book a trial.

I am wondering how long to give the MUA to schedule with me before I go back to the owner, let her know I am in a time crunch and want to schedule ASAP, and that the MUA is not scheduling with me. How long before I start looking around for other companies? My fiancé said I should book trials with other companies now and cancel them if the one with the initial company works out, but that seems really unfair to the new companies.

Any advice? I am really in a panic!
    I can't believe that she went a full 4 hours without responding. I mean obviously she's completely irresponsible and you shouldn't be hiring her. 
  • piggybacking off cowgirl;

If you go to the mac/estee lauder/ bobbi brown counter or a makeup store like sephora or ulta, many of them will come to you (increase in price) or can suggest people that will.

• Breathe.

4 hours is nothing.  This may be the #1 thing on your mind right now, but you are just one of many clients she is dealing with.  If you wedding was tomorrow it might be fair to expect an immediate response, but it's not.  Your wedding is almost a month away.

Give her 24-48 hours to respond.  If you don't hear back in the time frame, call her.  If another couple of days pass after the phone call and you still haven't gotten any response, then it is appropriate to go to the owner.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards