Wedding Woes

Monday

How was the weekend?!

Mine was all right.  I worked.  I went to bed early Friday and Saturday night.  Yesterday was a perfectly lazy day. I'm hoping with summer winding down that we can make more Sundays like that.  :) 

I am sad that John Oliver is taking a month off.  :(  He's my favorite.   He did a great bit about Lochte on last night's show. 

I need to start thinking of a packing list for Hawaii.  I know it's still 6 weeks (!) away, but we're trying to take one suitcase only (plus 2 carry-ons) and we need to leave room to bring stuff home.  

DH wants to camp 4 nights for Labor Day (we usually camp for 3).  I've already camped once this summer.  I would never camp if it was not for DH, so 4 nights is really pushing it. 

Re: Monday

• I went to a wedding in Indiana this weekend. I'm actually slightly disappointed that it wasn't trashier, but it was...interesting.

Cash bar, even for pop. It was at an American Legion and the bartenders are volunteers. MOG kept going around yelling at everyone to tip them well.

The cake nearly turned into an all-out brawl. After B&G smashed cake all over each other's faces, a few kids grabbed handfuls and smeared it all over bride. She handled it really really well.

A guest ordered a pizza. Like, right after we got there (late, because the address on the reception card was wrong), a pizza guy arrives. Before dinner.

The groom's brother and 7-year-old daughter were killed five years ago. His parents refuse to even try to move on. There were at least two (possibly three - I spent a lot of time outside) spotlight dances of girls who were in dance classes with his daughter. They wore all white and did choreographed dances to really sad obvious songs about death. Poor groom - he told us he'd "done everything he could to not make this a funeral and I think I failed".

But I got home yesterday and H had cleaned the house and done several small things I'd been nagging him about for a while (replacing the batteries in the scale, stuff like that). So that was delightful.

Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Frustrating weekend entirely.

Friday I got home early and took a nap, knowing we were going to a BBQ and usually end up staying late. H gets home, feeds cats and fire alarm goes off. He says he isn't surprised because they are doing the roof and you can smell tar through building. {i didn't smell it} We debate on going out, but hear people leaving so we head out to the back. Not many people and someone asks the guys on the roof if they smell smoke. Nope. Head in and run into neighbours heading out, so we go to the front also.

Apparently on our floor - but other wing - the alarms were going off in the apartments also. Idk entirely what happened but all is fine now.

We headed out and ended up staying really late. My friend and I ended up going for a walk a few times because the guys were playing "Sparta"

Saturday we went to a BBQ and H's Stepdad's family's place. We're in the backyard and hear this *CRUNCH*
    Some dude across the way backed into our car! Driver's side tail light broke and panel cracked. We were picking pieces of the other car's tail light out of the crack in our car. H took it in today.
    Just because I'm already having a bad weekend, I sliced my finger with a knife also.

Then Sunday I tried to do some retail therapy because one store - which is pricier than I usually go - had a Buy One, Get One 50% off, so I planned on getting 2 pairs of pants. Nothing was bought.
    Oh well ... Friday I'm going with my mum to another mall to see their huge wing opened up so I'll see if anything there.

*phew* that's a novel.
  • I didn't leave the house at all Saturday. I went to my friend's bridal shower yesterday afternoon. She and her FI also happen to rent a house from my FI and I. The water heater in the house is leaking and needs to be replaced, so I put the money for it in their card with a note that said, "Here's some cash for a new water heater (obvs not a wedding gift, but don't we look ballin')" The look on her face when she saw the cash was hilarious and then I felt bad that she thought it was her gift. Her FI knew exactly what was going on, though and thought it was funny.

@mrsconn23 I got all excited thinking this weekend was Labor Day. Dang.

I've got my dress fitting this weekend. My BM (also bride from shower yesterday) reminded me that it's this weekend and not next. I would be seriously lost without her. We're both regretting that we didn't make each other our MOHs.
  • *Barbie**Barbie* member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited August 2016
    Today is Wolverine's first day of kindergarten (take #2 - she was too young to go to public last year). She was very excited during meet the teacher last week, and had the same level of energy this morning. She's also doing the before/after school care that's offered at her school, so big changes all around. She was talking non-stop to the lady at dropoff - the lady was all, "you're tall for kinder - and very chatty."

We have a busy week - the tile lady/designer is supposed to come over tonight so we can finish picking out stuff for our remodel. hopefully they can start working this week. i need to swing by the bank at some point and ask about doing another savings account for Wolverine -  i'm looking to set up a savings account and an automatic deposit each month for the difference between her daycare costs and before/after school costs. At this point we're used to paying it anyways, so won't really miss it each month. Might as well work on building her a good college account. Wednesday is gymnastics and my mom's birthday. She's not local, but still need to remember to make the call. 
  • edited August 2016
    Helped the in-laws move all weekend and had the best Korean food (in a random strip mall in Michigan) I've ever tasted.

First day of the semester is today, although I don't teach until tomorrow. There is a huge push for faculty to "do something meaningful" on the first day and not just hand out the syllabus. I vacillate between being excited and planning something interesting, and being annoyed about being told what to do in my classes.

ETA: I just bought two pairs of cute booties online. H will be mad so I put it on the credit card instead of out of the checking. I know that's bad, but I really wanted them.
  • bleve0821bleve0821 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited August 2016
    H and I went to an enormous antique mall in the middle of nowhere. I picked up a handle of firsties (1st edition books) and drooled over some wrought iron garden chairs I don't have space for but would go in the dream garden I don't have yet but hope to have after the move.

We finally saw Star Trek Beyond. I fell asleep in the theater. I'm either getting sick or just that tightly wound so as to be perpetually exhausted, because I have been getting all the sleep.

Sunday I slept through another movie and knocked out some Christmas shopping for the nice people in my life. We had to postpone my birthday dinner due to the fact that I slept through mealtime.

Speaking of moving... House hunting trip is scheduled, and we just got contacted by the corporate moving company. I yelped them, and so do not like what I've read.  21 1-star reviews since May. Oof.

"And when they use our atoms to make new lives, they won’t just be able to take one, they’ll have to take two, one of you and one of me..."
    --Philip Pullman

• @AtomicBlonde, do you have to use that company, or do you have an option to search for alternate pricing? We had the same problem and were approved to use a different company because the quote was lower than the contracted company. So, we saved them money and I felt much better about who was moving our stuff.
  • The weekend was good.  After working a double for the catering company, I came home, had a glass of wine, and then passed out on the sofa.  I was so confused when I woke up because I didn't realize I fell asleep and got mad at FI for moving my toothbrush.  Apparently I told him "I'm not mad at you, I'm mad at being awake."  I'm a nutjob!

Yesterday, we went to a local State Park for my run, it was beautiful so after we ran, we hiked our way back to the car.  It's less than 15 minutes from our house and we've never been there before so it's definitely being added to our places to go.

Sorry about your car @MissKittyDanger.  I was in the car with my best friend on Saturday when a County Sherriff backed into her.  It was crazy.

@ShesSoCold - it still made for good stories! The story with the dances is really sad and creepy, to be honest.  I mean losing a child must be horrendous, but I can't really see how doing things like that can make anyone feel better.  And the poor little dancers; I don't think I'd allow my kid to participate in some morbid memorial dance.
  • @charlotte989875, that used to be the norm, but I think things have changed recently and they are trying to discourage that. I plan to ask, anyway.

"And when they use our atoms to make new lives, they won’t just be able to take one, they’ll have to take two, one of you and one of me..."
    --Philip Pullman

• @kimmiinthemitten  Yikes! Everyone okay? We were glad we weren't in the car :\
  • @kimmiinthemitten  Yikes! Everyone okay? We were glad we weren't in the car :\
    Oh yeah, it just destroyed her grill.  Glad you guys weren't in the car!

@AtomicBlonde good luck changing services.  It seems like your move is always one step forward, one step backwards :(.
  • @kimmiinthemitten  Oh good! It was more sound than anything. The guy said it was a new vehicle and wasn't familiar with size {minivan} but our argument {which wasn't said} that clearly he wasn't looking AND he was going faster than should have. I'm a new driver, and the 'speed' I go should have been same as him. Oh well .... getting fixed, no one was hurt. Main facts!
  • My weekend was pretty meh. I picked FH up from the airport late Saturday. Sunday he slept until early afternoon, I layed around reading and listening to podcasts. 

Not having a job is already boring but also my motivation is down. I just have to get back into productive home days routine.
  • My weekend was good! Friday night I went home, made some enchiladas, and chilled on the couch for the night.

I slept in on Saturday and then went to the gym for a while. I worked out for an hour! That is huge for me! When I got home DH and I cleaned the entire house. It took forever, but it feels so good to have a really clean house again. After that we went to dinner and then Home Depot. We spent way too much money and then decided we shouldn't shop together because we are both so impulsive when it comes to buying things for the house. I ended up taking back half the stuff we bought yesterday.

Yesterday was church followed by an awesome nap. One of my best friends' DH just had ear surgery, so I took them dinner last night. I ended up staying WAY longer than I meant to, so it was practically bed time by the time I got home.

Got to work this morning only to find out that our internet was down, phone lines were down, and our bathroom is out of order. We only have one 1-person bathroom in my office. Apparently the company thinks it's fine to just tell us to go use the bathroom somewhere else if we have to go. Grrrr.

• Got to work this morning only to find out that our internet was down, phone lines were down, and our bathroom is out of order. We only have one 1-person bathroom in my office. Apparently the company thinks it's fine to just tell us to go use the bathroom somewhere else if we have to go. Grrrr.

Power, water, internet - all of that I can handle (except what else would I do at the office?).  Take away my restroom, and this chick is going home.
  • My weekend was productive, for once.  Got rid of an entire large tote of stuff through trashing and donations for Baton Rouge flood victims.

Got various tasks done and on time.

Finally sat down and worked out dates/flights/AirBnB for a trip my H and I are taking to Boston in late September.  Fun trip, not work.  Got my vacation days approved today and will book everything tonight!

Will use my 3% back on travel with my new Costco Citi card.  Nice way to break it in! 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited August 2016

Got to work this morning only to find out that our internet was down, phone lines were down, and our bathroom is out of order. We only have one 1-person bathroom in my office. Apparently the company thinks it's fine to just tell us to go use the bathroom somewhere else if we have to go. Grrrr.

Power, water, internet - all of that I can handle (except what else would I do at the office?).  Take away my restroom, and this chick is going home.
    Girl, I work in an office full of women and we were all so pissed! I wanted to leave. But since I'm still newish I didn't want to be the one that started it and got fired :( so I toughed it out. 

Eta words

• I worked all weekend.     Yesterday, I worked a private party at a member's ranch.  It was a fishing party.  They hired 4 pro-fly fishing men who competed for one hour to see who caught the most fish and catch the biggest fish.   The members all bet on who would win.

OMG, such a beautiful property.   Very well thought out and a great for entertaining.    Since 90% of the guests were club members I pretty much knew everyone so it was cool.   DH did the food, so he was there also.

Today was DH's first day off since the beginning of May.  We ran errands/lunch, went to a hot spring and then dinner.    It was nice to actually spend an entire day with him.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • I thought I was current on my homework but I read the syllabus wrong. I thought I was to watch 10 videos a week but it was 10 sections. Each section is 5-10 videos of 5-20 minutes each. I'm so behind!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards