Snarky Brides

Charity cash bar

edited August 2016 in Snarky Brides
So many gems I find in my ladies facebook group. This morning is a woman who is getting married in a private ceremony on Friday, then having a reception on Saturday. During the reception there's a cash bar, but it's alright because the money they make on the bar goes to charity. So many eye rolls from one post. 

Re: Charity cash bar

• banana468 said:
    How nice of them to donate their guests' money to charity.

I'd almost rather a cash bar because the hosts just did what they thought was the norm or they didn't have money.   At least then I can buy the ignorance or crappy budgeting excuse.

But taking the money from their guests and then donating it is an extra level of assholery. 

That's not fair!  I'm sure they have polled each guest...to find out their favorite charity...and will be making 100 little $10 and $15 donations to the appropriate ones.  I mean, that's how that works right?  For charity donations?  Because I know there are only a handful, that I have personally already vetted to ensure they use their dollars responsibly, and that are close to my heart and where all my donation dollars go.

Obviously they wouldn't expect their guests to make charitable donations to the couple's own pet charity...on top of whatever gifts the guests might have already given.  AmIright?

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • lyndausvi said:
    Why does everything have to have a cause associated with it?   Can't people just have a party?

And who else thinks the "charity" is the couple themselves?   I would be tempted to ask for a receipt so I can write it off on my taxes.
    I actually kind of love that idea! 
  • I really hope the charity is something super polarizing, like gun rights or planned parenthood
  • kylexo said:
    I really hope the charity is something super polarizing, like gun rights or planned parenthood

Hehe...that would be fun.  Me, "Love ya, B&G, but I can't support X cause," (as I hold up my flask).

Okay, I wouldn't really do that.  But it would be tempting.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Jen4948 said:
    If the proceeds from a cash bar are going to charity, the charity should be Alcoholics Anonymous.
    You stole my line.  :D
  • Jen4948 said:
    If the proceeds from a cash bar are going to charity, the charity should be Alcoholics Anonymous.
    Well now I want to have a donation jar and a sign with this at the bar at my wedding just because it would be hilarious.
  • Would it also not follow that if they're making money on this, they are inflating the price of the drinks?

If someone must have a cash bar then keep the damn cost as low as possible, don't force your guests to pay more so the excess can be donated to a charity not of their choice 
  • Would it also not follow that if they're making money on this, they are inflating the price of the drinks?

If someone must have a cash bar then keep the damn cost as low as possible, don't force your guests to pay more so the excess can be donated to a charity not of their choice 
    I think this idea of hers stems from the group we're in. It's a Chive spinoff and The Chive's motto is we're a drinking organization with a charity problem. So when Chive groups have meetups, the bar hosting it signs a contract donating 5-10% of the evening's profits. There are usually auctions and other ways that money is being collected for the charity of choice. So maybe that is where she's getting the idea that it's okay to upcharge drinks for charity, even though that's not what the bars do.
  • I bet the charity is the Honeymoon Fund.
    She's moving from Canada to Maryland so maybe the "charity" is moving expenses. 
  • I can't afford super expensive top shelf well aged scotch, but I know in my heart I deserve it. I am going to start a charity that buys me the scotch I truly deserve. Who's with me?

She's moving from Canada to Maryland so maybe the "charity" is moving expenses. 
    I'm guessing it's healthcare. That's a sticker shock I wouldn't want. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards