Wedding Woes

Thursday

(Or as I like to think of it, one more day 'til Friday.)  What's shakin'?

Traffic sucked last night--took me almost an hour to get to DC, and then I basically had to rush the kids into the car to make it to Wooz's riding eval.  But the woman running it seemed super nice, and I think it's a good fit.  The only catch is that the class she thinks is best for Wooz meets at 5:00 on Fridays.  We're going to give it a shot.  I just kind of hate that we now have stuff after school M-W and Friday.  I didn't really want to be That Parent.  We'll see how it goes.

I owe my personal shopper an email.  I also have to find DS an outfit for my grandma's party, which is now officially less than a month away.  Squee!  I was thinking of trying to kill two birds with one stone, but I am NOT spending $70 on a Burberry polo for the kid who still thinks shirt = napkin. 

Today, I have Awful Monthly Meeting at 10:00, getting my teeth cleaned at 12:00, annual review at 1:00, Wooz is at the pedi at 4:00, and then we have to go straight to school because her meet-and-greet is 4:00-5:30.  DC is closed tomorrow, and by some miracle, Mr. Heff said he can WFH tomorrow. 

Re: Thursday

• HEFFA!  Your presence was missed.  :D 

Yesterday was my day off.  I got nothing done I planned to get done around the house.  I did go shopping, yay shopping.   Side note: If your advertised opening time is 9:30a, open your fucking doors at 9:30a.  People don't like standing outside a store like a moron at 9:35a, Old Navy.  I left because I was so annoyed. 

The weather decided to kick things up yesterday afternoon and there were 8 total tornadoes in the state, two quite close to my house.  About an hour north of us, several homes and a Starbucks were leveled.  I watched video of the Starbucks going down, and it folded over like it was pushed down.  

DefConn got held at school for over an hour.  It was early release day, so he got home only a half hour later than normal.  He was unfazed, thankfully. 

Crazy story: There's a creeper guy who's been terrorizing/creeping on people on the southside of the city.  They identified him and turns out it's a guy my sister worked with/briefly dated during a college summer break.  We didn't like him. She didn't have any pics of him, but I did.  I learned 'pics or it didn't happen' early.  And I no longer have the worst BF in the history of BFs. (I dated some stinkers)

Podcast rec: Cracked.com podcast.  They did a really good one regarding class and how it's more than $$$.   
  • 6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    @Heffalump I'm That Parent too.  Stuff every night except Friday and some nights 2 things. I'm not a fan, but it is what it is.

I'm in a funk and feeling like too much is falling through the cracks.  I'm hoping it's just start of school/soccer/gymnastics/ministry/psr chaos and I'll settle soon. 

I was going to take Max to the pool today for one on one, but the pool is closed to treat for crypto virus which is apparently rampant here and awful.  We were there Tuesday and he was lapping up the water like a dog.
  • mrsconn23 said:
    HEFFA!  Your presence was missed.  :D 

Yesterday was my day off.  I got nothing done I planned to get done around the house.  I did go shopping, yay shopping.   Side note: If your advertised opening time is 9:30a, open your fucking doors at 9:30a.  People don't like standing outside a store like a moron at 9:35a, Old Navy.  I left because I was so annoyed. 

The weather decided to kick things up yesterday afternoon and there were 8 total tornadoes in the state, two quite close to my house.  About an hour north of us, several homes and a Starbucks were leveled.  I watched video of the Starbucks going down, and it folded over like it was pushed down.  

DefConn got held at school for over an hour.  It was early release day, so he got home only a half hour later than normal.  He was unfazed, thankfully. 

Crazy story: There's a creeper guy who's been terrorizing/creeping on people on the southside of the city.  They identified him and turns out it's a guy my sister worked with/briefly dated during a college summer break.  We didn't like him. She didn't have any pics of him, but I did.  I learned 'pics or it didn't happen' early.  And I no longer have the worst BF in the history of BFs. (I dated some stinkers)

Podcast rec: Cracked.com podcast.  They did a really good one regarding class and how it's more than $$$.   
    that's crazy you have a connection to that creeper. I know people are up in arms about it but it seems like he hasn't technically broken any laws so there's not much they can do it about it (although I've read posts from others saying he may have broken into a house last year but if there's no proof.....). I do hope they can find a way to shut that dude down!
  • I'm working on a social media policy workbook.  Filing another application today.  Have a call at 11 to take care of.  I'm considering either making more coffee, going back to bed for a bit, or going to check out a trail that's close by my apartment.  I've been getting up with K, who has to leave about 45" early to get to her job site right now.

I'm fixing to have a Come to Jesus discussion with my committee co-chair.  He's been going to therapy (which I know b/c he posts everything on FB).  I think his therapist might be full of crap on a specific issue, b/c some of the advice/comments he's reporting are just...off.  The newest one is setting up a conflict with me and is going to get some bridges burned for him (that he's a leader who has been forced to be a follower).  I'm trying to be supportive; I also want to yell.  Bad timing for me to be on full "bite your tongue, smile, and talk through this".
  • edited August 2016
    The rest of this week is what I call "worker barbie mode."

I just sent off a 2 million dollar bid (send all the vibes, particularly the green money vibes if you will).  If I win this in it's entirety (and I have a good chance to) it'll be my largest bid ever won!

Then tonight I'm working 2 events for the catering company just to come home and finish up another, much smaller, bid, and then a third one is due on the 2nd.  My job doesn't normally hit so many larger deals at the same time, but apparently it's my time.  And with the wedding in 100ish days, I'll take it!

ETA @mrsconn23 and @kvruns glad you're okay!!  Tornadoes scare the shit out of me!
  • DH told me last night that he's "93% sure co-worker will rent the house from us."  Hurray!  But he wants to leave our brand new top-of-the-line lawnmower with them "so they don't have to buy one to maintain the lawn." Lawd have mercy, I wanted to strangle him.  We're already cutting rent to well below fair market value for the neighborhood, and barring any maintenance issues (which I know we'll have in spades), we're barely going to be in the black. I have no idea how he thinks that's a good idea. I told him flat-out no and the topic was not open for further discussion. Maybe I'm being unreasonable but--what? 

School starts next week in the area we're moving to, so I'm hoping that will slant the housing market a little in our favor next month. I've been watching it like a hawk and it's a little discouraging at the moment. 

No dice on moving company options, and I tried to talk H into just moving ourselves, and he's all "I'm willing to take the risk on the movers, I have no vacation to move ourselves blah blah bad excuses."  Either way, it's a massive headache and stressor and I just wanted to have a little more control over how and when our shit is moved. I hate not being in control. 

All things considered though, I cannot imagine doing this by myself.  I am thankful every day that I have DH to keep me grounded. I'd be in pieces scattered to the four winds without him.

"And when they use our atoms to make new lives, they won’t just be able to take one, they’ll have to take two, one of you and one of me..."
    --Philip Pullman

• I have been in meetings all morning, and left in such a rush this morning that I forgot to grab the dessert that i bought for our office party today. This means a trip out at lunch to get a replacement, or running home and then back to the office ( it's a ~22mi round trip) to get the dessert that i stopped for last night. I realized it midway to the office, but  I had to lead an early meeting, so I couldn't turn around. 
  • It's weird to be home without any kids for so long.  I'm getting things done, at least, and it's nice not to have to get up extra early to work before kid craziness begins.  I'm looking forward to figuring out what routine will work best for me.

I told DD2's teacher on Monday night that I am available to help out in the classroom a few hours a week.  Guess who gets to help in the lunchroom today and tomorrow?  The kindergartners are new to eating at school and clueless about how things work, so they need me to help make sure everyone gets through the line and eats/can open milk/etc. before the bell rings.

DH and I have been discussing getting a new vehicle.  We're not looking to buy right now unless we find some amazeballs deal, but would like to have narrowed down what we want so we can buy in the Spring.  He doesn't think we should buy another minivan, that we should look at a smaller suv, that we don't need the room anymore.  Dude, I love my minivan.  Love.  And after driving the brand new Grand Caravan rental this summer, I am going to be harder to convince.  So yay for not being on the same page right off the bat!

• Originally I made pork chop strips and was going to fry them, but I got lazy and didn't want to so they'll just sit in the marinade {vegetable oil, onion powder, garlic powder and wild whiskey dry bbq rub}

Since H is out tonight, I'll probably just make them leave some for him.

Visiting with my granny tonight :) She's loaning me a shawl and I'm trying on a dress.
  • I am waiting for my dress to arrive, watching the little fedex tracker not move all day. :) I am trying to figure out if I should try to salvage these perfectly fine invitations or try to fix the only noticeable to me problems. 

Tomorrow, all of my centerpiece supplies are supposed to arrive. It is like wedding christmas.

My car is dying and I only need it to hang on for a little while longer. I am begging the car gods to just let it live a little longer.

• I am waiting for my dress to arrive, watching the little fedex tracker not move all day. :) I am trying to figure out if I should try to salvage these perfectly fine invitations or try to fix the only noticeable to me problems. 

Tomorrow, all of my centerpiece supplies are supposed to arrive. It is like wedding christmas.

My car is dying and I only need it to hang on for a little while longer. I am begging the car gods to just let it live a little longer.

Giggling at this :smiley:
  • mrsconn23 said:
    HEFFA!  Your presence was missed.  :D 

Forgot you were in Indy too. Glad y'all are ok. That creeper guy is just that - creepy!
  • @ShesSoCold  he was the best so obviously didn't need any other thought? ;)
  • I have felt behind all week and I worry I'm forgetting some big important things. 

Also, I hate students that talk when I'm talking. They know they're disrespectful. I know they know they're disrespectful. And they know, that I know that they're disrespectful. Seriously, why be in a class if you're going to be rude the entire time. 

ive had enough of this week. 
  • I booked my vacation to Boston!  No thanks to my first AirBnB choice...who accepted my reservation.  Then cancelled it the next day.

It's her own apartment, but she travels a lot for work (knew that going in).  Her excuse was they changed her travel schedule...except she cancelled at 9PM (Eastern) at night!!!  Really?!?  9PM was the soonest you knew your travel schedule changed? There were already slim choices, so then my H and I had to scramble around again to find another place.  Found one!  Phew!  Though we don't like the location quite as much.

As an aside, AirBnB gave me a coupon equal to 10% of the value of my first reservation because the hostess had cancelled.  Definitely impressed by that.  It also saved me from having to fork over more money, because the 2nd place was a little more. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Been a crazy month here - then yesterday my Mom asked me to look up some registry info for a wedding they're invited to (cousin of mine but isn't inviting the extended family and my parents don't own a computer to look this up themselves)...  Oh am I judging the ever-living he** out of this one already!  First - Invitations were improperly addressed - to everyone on the guest list (the M/FOG and GPOG are fielding calls from everyone to confirm who is/isn't invited).  They must have used a spread sheet and not put in the right info for the labels, so my Dad is invited...  They left off the address of the ceremony and reception sites (a sizable chunk of the family does not own computers to look it up, so knowing where "Central Community Park" is a challenge).  The Groom's Grandpa is invited, not Grandma according to the invite...  Then on the registry, I skimmed over it and went into the "Mom, it's just a guide, you don't have to purchase off of it"..  It's all stuff that is at a high price point (Big screen TV's, $70 pillows, Overpriced Egg muffin maker, etc.)or it's things like X-box games and subscriptions.  It's a good thing I wasn't sipping coffee because my Mom's exact words regarding all things this wedding thus far were "Would it be wrong of me to purchase an Emily Post book for them?"  But what takes the cake, if you grew up in a very religious family (kids went to religious school, taught religion on Wed. nights, church going including weekdays whenever possible, etc.) and are choosing to have a park wedding instead, that's fine, but use a little diplomacy in telling your Mom & Grandma...  Just saying!  (yes, it's their choice, in this case it's just the "what/how it was said" that is an issue that they really didn't think through)
  • edited August 2016

I booked my vacation to Boston!  No thanks to my first AirBnB choice...who accepted my reservation.  Then cancelled it the next day.

It's her own apartment, but she travels a lot for work (knew that going in).  Her excuse was they changed her travel schedule...except she cancelled at 9PM (Eastern) at night!!!  Really?!?  9PM was the soonest you knew your travel schedule changed? There were already slim choices, so then my H and I had to scramble around again to find another place.  Found one!  Phew!  Though we don't like the location quite as much.

As an aside, AirBnB gave me a coupon equal to 10% of the value of my first reservation because the hostess had cancelled.  Definitely impressed by that.  It also saved me from having to fork over more money, because the 2nd place was a little more. 

You're lucky they canceled so early. I booked an airbnb a few months before my last trip and they canceled at 11pm the night before I was supposed to check in. 7 hours before my flight. I was so pissed. 

Etf. Words
  • On the Airbnb front; I love it and H and I have used it a bunch, especially when we travel home on the holidays, but I've never used it alone. I don't know why, I guess I just feel a little weird and safer staying in a hotel when I'm by myself. What do you all do?
  • I booked my vacation to Boston!  No thanks to my first AirBnB choice...who accepted my reservation.  Then cancelled it the next day.

You're lucky they canceled so early. I booked an airbnb a few months before my last trip and they canceled at 11pm the night before I was supposed to check in. 7 hours before my flight. I was so pissed. 

Etf. Words

WOW!!!!  Unbelievable.  I couldn't even imagine.  Unless the space had literally burnt down/had a wall fall in/flooded/sewer back-up...and it had happened that day...that is inexcusable.  Did they give any reason?  It's so crazy!

I usually rent to permanent tenants, but have occasionally been an AirBnB hostess for one of my properties.  One time, I was going to have to rent furniture for a stay, which I had checked on before posting those dates available for the Mardi Gras season.  Rent-A-Center gave me one price beforehand, but then when I actually went to go rent it after I got a booking, suddenly it was a whole different ballgame.  It was looking like I was going to break even or actually lose a bit of money.  But it still never crossed my mind to cancel on my guests.

As it turned out, between twisting some Rent-A-Center arms, and scratching a bunch of things off the rental list...because I dragged my OWN items there!  I was able to come out ahead $500.

I will spare you all my tirade on how despicable and scammy Rent-A-Center is.  Their price "shell game" was merely the first volley.   

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • i ran out at lunch and got a new dessert - admin was so thrilled and I got a hug, so it was worth the trouble. 

Etf. Words

WOW!!!!  Unbelievable.  I couldn't even imagine.  Unless the space had literally burnt down/had a wall fall in/flooded/sewer back-up...and it had happened that day...that is inexcusable.  Did they give any reason?  It's so crazy!

I usually rent to permanent tenants, but have occasionally been an AirBnB hostess for one of my properties.  One time, I was going to have to rent furniture for a stay, which I had checked on before posting those dates available for the Mardi Gras season.  Rent-A-Center gave me one price beforehand, but then when I actually went to go rent it after I got a booking, suddenly it was a whole different ballgame.  It was looking like I was going to break even or actually lose a bit of money.  But it still never crossed my mind to cancel on my guests.

As it turned out, between twisting some Rent-A-Center arms, and scratching a bunch of things off the rental list...because I dragged my OWN items there!  I was able to come out ahead $500.

I will spare you all my tirade on how despicable and scammy Rent-A-Center is.  Their price "shell game" was merely the first volley.   

Apparently, dude didn't have permission from his landlady who lived next door to sub let his apartment. She found out and threatened to kick him out if he did. He cancelled at 11pm, I was on the phone with airbnb until 2am, trying to get a refund. They offered 10% more if I rebooked through them but how the fuck am I supposed to find another host at 2am. They have literally no back up plan for this happening.

Etf. Words

Apparently, dude didn't have permission from his landlady who lived next door to sub let his apartment. She found out and threatened to kick him out if he did. He cancelled at 11pm, I was on the phone with airbnb until 2am, trying to get a refund. They offered 10% more if I rebooked through them but how the fuck am I supposed to find another host at 2am. They have literally no back up plan for this happening.

I wonder how she found out about it beforehand.  I could see where she might have sniffed it out, after the fact.  Of course he knew he couldn't sublet it.  But what a dip he thought he could get away with it, with her living next door.

AirBnB might have changed their policy since that happened to you.  I had the option of rebooking, with a coupon added on that was 10% of the value.  But there was also a "Request Refund" button and I also received an e-mail from AirBnB that I was entitled to a refund, if I did not want to rebook.

However, I didn't go that route and it wouldn't surprise me if the "refund" might have taken a few days...at least.  Which could still put someone in a world of hurt, like in your situation, if they needed to book something else last minute. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited August 2016
    @short+sassy This only happened a couple months ago. There is a refund button but I needed the money right away so I could book a hotel room for my trip. I didn't have time to wait for them to see my claim and get back to me. I could have rebooked through them except it was on me to find a place, contact the host, wait for them to get back to me, yada yada. That's why I was on the phone till 2am.

I've had other good experiences with airbnb, I am just a little sour still.

Eta: she found out after the 4th or 5th group stayed.
  • @short+sassy This only happened a couple months ago. There is a refund button but I needed the money right away so I could book a hotel room for my trip. I didn't have time to wait for them to see my claim and get back to me. I could have rebooked through them except it was on me to find a place, contact the host, wait for them to get back to me, yada yada. That's why I was on the phone till 2am.

I've had other good experiences with airbnb, I am just a little sour still.

Eta: she found out after the 4th or 5th group stayed.

Totally agree!  I understand why their system leaves the money in "limbo" because probably most of the time, like I did, a guest will just book another place.  But if a refund request is associated with a cancellation, it seems like it should be pretty straightforward to just reverse the charges right away.

Thanks for elaborating more on the situation.  It was interesting, though unfortunate, to hear.  Sorry you had to go through that!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards