Wedding Woes

FRIDAY!

I was sitting here and could see the sun shining in from the back of the house and it was pitch black at the front.  I told DH, "UH, you may want get in the car to take DefConn to the end of the drive and wait for the bus."  He was in the living room and facing the back of the house and was all, "Whaa?" and ran to look out front.  It's now high winds and flash-flooding levels of downpour.  20 min ago, it was completely sunny.   Wacky midwest weather.   

What's on tap for the weekend?

Today/tonight: cleaning house/food prep
Tomorrow: DH is smoking pork shoulder and we're having friends/family over to help us eat it all. ;)
Sunday: Relax/clean-up/start prepping for Labor Day camping

Re: FRIDAY!

• Today is mostly laundry.  This weekend will be swimming, pokemon hunting, and hauling a huge box of donations down to my church.  
                            AlternaTickers - Cool free Web tickers
  • We just had the same weather at my office. Coworker was on the phone with his wife because she was staying in the car in her office (465/71st on West side) because of blinding rain and hail. From his window here it was beautiful and sunny but on the west side of the building (my side) we saw the black clouds coming in. So crazy. 
  • mrsconn23mrsconn23 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited August 2016
    Because I know y'all care about the weather around here...less than an hour later, it's back to sunny and like nothing ever happened.  This has been the weirdest summer, weather-wise.   

Also, we did not get as many strong storms in our old area as we do now.  We are on the west side of the city and only about 60 mi from the western border of the state.  Anything coming in seems to give us a direct hit.  The other area we lived in was on the N/NE side of the city and stronger stuff would seem to lose steam before hitting us. 
  • mrsconn23mrsconn23 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited August 2016
    @Heffalump, the kiddo and DefConn are the same.  

The other morning, the kiddo woke up with a sore-ish throat due to (likely) the weather.  He overslept in hopes that it would 'get better' and told me that he felt like he was going to 'cough up blood'.  I checked him for a fever, handed him ibuprofen and water, and pushed him out the door.  

DefConn shakes off everything.  He has to really be sick/hurting for it to affect him. 
  • It seems like, no matter where I live, all the weather (rain/snow/storms) just parts around us and hits the towns a few miles all around us... But never hits us. I'm sure it's totally in my head because I love stormy weather (except the extremes and when I'm at the furthest point from shelter I can be on a long run or when I'm driving) and hate being left out of the fun.

Laundry, house cleaning, and food prep for H for next week since I'm traveling next week. We're staying in this weekend because our budget is broken.

"And when they use our atoms to make new lives, they won’t just be able to take one, they’ll have to take two, one of you and one of me..."
    --Philip Pullman

• Heffalump said:
    mrsconn23 said:
    @Heffalump, the kiddo and DefConn are the same.  

The other morning, the kiddo woke up with a sore-ish throat due to (likely) the weather.  He overslept in hopes that it would 'get better' and told me that he felt like he was going to 'cough up blood'.  I checked him for a fever, handed him ibuprofen and water, and pushed him out the door.  

DefConn shakes off everything.  He has to really be sick/hurting for it to affect him. 
    OMG, so much DS.  I've seen him trip, skin his knee, and get right back up and keep running.  I literally have to chase him down to wipe off the blood.  Whereas for a skinned knee, Wooz demands hourly doses of Neosporin and a fresh band-aid "because the corner of this one is curling up." 

In the bath last night, I had to pump her shampoo for her "because I need both hands, and obviously I can't use this one."  She acts like it's hanging on by a thread. 

• I am too fat to try not to be fat. I may actually die of squats.

Some of my favorite people are coming into town today for a preseason game tomorrow so I'm super excited. We're meeting for pizza tonight then going to the game tomorrow morning. No plan for tomorrow night, but I'm going to clean the house and make a dip or two just in case we end up at our house.

Sunday they're leaving and MIL is arriving. Not sure what the plan is with her but one of her friends may come by our house.

Heffa, hugs and vibes for you and your mom. That totally blows about the accident - especially since it sucks so much but then makes you feel bad for thinking it sucks so much and "it could have been worse".

Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • I think my  mattress is dying.  My back and hips are killing me.

K is going out of town for a 3 day tournament.  Y'all can make fun of me, but I"m going to miss her.  And just b/c life is terrible right now, I"m thinking of running out of town for the day to see a band I like.  WTF else do I have going on?  I have another friend who is also suffering from the unemployment curse and bad news wagon, so she might go with me.  

Other than that, SSDD.  
  • edited August 2016
    I almost rear ended some stupid girl on the highway yesterday. Where she was getting on is an on and off ramp, I needed off and was going faster than she was getting on. She should have waited until I passed her since I had right of way already being in that lane instead she whips right in front of me and I decelerated from 70 to 40 as quickly as possible all while laying on my horn to keep from hitting her. She never even looked.

eta - My FI is having orthotripsy done on his feet today. His mother took him because I don't have enough vacation time to take off and she's retired. That doesn't mean she doesn't feel the need to guilt me though. His surgery was scheduled for 8:45 and he went back at 9:24. I don't think that's too long of a wait, but his mom texted and said she bet the doctor was even in yet and that's what was taking so long. I bet he had another surgery run longer than expected. 
  • 6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Go see the band, v. 

Soccer season starts tomorrow so my weekends are pretty much games on repeat until November. 

m2 and Max have been totally engrossed in these paint by number things I randomly picked up. I know something that's going on their Christmas list. 
  • What is with people unable to drive lately?
    Finally heard from adjusters about ours! The other guys was really good and called his insurance ahead of time, so made it easier for adjuster.
    Next Tuesday he takes car in to be fixed, and gets a rental for a few days since they have to fix the WHOLE back corner. Oh well ...

Tonight: hanging with my mum. We're going to the mall and likely picking up dinner while there.
    Tomorrow: beach and house warming party for friends. Surprisingly enough this is the first visit to the beach this year and that makes me sad :(
    Sunday: cleaning, packing little things, binge watching 'that 70s show' likely. I also want to go thru some clothes again if I end up buying anything, also go through a trunk we have. I feel I could get rid of some stuff.

One month today we get our keys! :smiley:
  • I have a long run scheduled for tomorrow and then H is going back to Buffalo for his fantasy draft. I plan on ordering Indian food that he hates and binge watching TV. I may even let the cat and dog sleep in the bedroom then wash everything so he won't know. 
  • I found "My crazy ex girlfriend" on netflix, and i want to finish the season this weekend.  I have goals, people.  GOALS. 

• I found "My crazy ex girlfriend" on netflix, and i want to finish the season this weekend.  I have goals, people.  GOALS. 
    I tried to watch that but just couldn't get into it. It seemed funny but after 3 episodes I gave up 
  • I think I laughed more in the first few episodes, but I also feel like it's still spitting out quality lines.  When that stops. I'll stop.  But I love musicals, so it's right up my alley

• I'm in the office, but i feel yucky, so i may go home in a bit. (I dragged myself in late, so trying to tough it out for a while for appearance's sake.)

After meeting with the decorator earlier in the week, we're scrapping what we have and going back for more granite shopping this weekend. it's kind of fun and kind of not. she gave us a few suggestions (although it's clear that we have a different aesthetic) that have us rethinking earlier choices. (We might like how it turns out, but might be "too dark" for resale.) Also confirmed that  we could probably go up a grade or two in granite to match what we currently have. (She thinks the contractor under-graded it, which is in line with what I was thinking - nothing we saw in the range he gave us was as nice as what we have now. She also gave us a few different recommendations for granite yards that she likes.)
  • kvruns said:
    I found "My crazy ex girlfriend" on netflix, and i want to finish the season this weekend.  I have goals, people.  GOALS. 
    I tried to watch that but just couldn't get into it. It seemed funny but after 3 episodes I gave up 
    That was me.  It was entertaining enough while it was on, but I didn't feel compelled to keep watching.
  • Yay Friday!  I have a wedding tomorrow; the groom is a chef and he created his own menu and is doing all of the prep so all I have to say is what diet?

Today I'm working both jobs.  Sales and catering.  Not sure how I'm going to wear heels after working 2 back to back catering gigs.  But on the plus side ...my best friend is doing the pre day set for a different wedding in my venue and I get to sneak in and take pics and check it out to see if that's how we will want it.

@Heffalump sending Vitamin C vibes your way; glad to hear your mom is doing well and her tumor is responsive.  And dude, you got stung on top of all that?  I'm so sorry.  When it rains, I guess.

@VarunaTT  you need a vacation from life.  Go to the concert.

• bleve0821bleve0821 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited August 2016
    Gah, it's only noon? Kill me now.

Just wanted to add, Happy National Women's Equality Day! 96 years since the Nineteenth Amendment was ratified. Girl power!

And to think the sports bra was only invented 39 years ago... Out of a pair of jock straps.

Edited to fix 49 to 39. Did the math right, hit the wrong number.

"And when they use our atoms to make new lives, they won’t just be able to take one, they’ll have to take two, one of you and one of me..."
    --Philip Pullman

• Happy Friday!!

My weekend plans include visiting all the stationary/craft stores and laundry.

My car is happy with a new battery so that is relieving. 

Oh! I have a Question! I hired a lady I used to work with to do some alterations on my dress. I met her through theatre so she does more costumes than regular alterations but is an excellent seamtress. I hired her because I like to give my business to small, local businesses  and I trust her work. I received the dress yesterday. She did a lot of work, took it in like 4 sizes, hemmed it, added a bustle. Everything looks great. I messaged her to let get know it was here to which she replied the that the work is my wedding gift but asked that the shipping be reimbursed (which I previously told her I would do). I suspected she might offer a discount but I always fully intended to pay her for her work. So now I am writing her thank you card and Idk what to write the check for. The $27.37 for shipping? I don't what to be rude by refusing her gift but it feels wrong to let her do all that work for nothing? Gift certificate to a nice restaurant? Write the check for over the amount? WWWWD?
  • Friend and I are going.  We can drive there and back in one night, it's the other city's Pride kick off, and the cover is only $10 (and I might have the connections to get that waived).  It means I'll get home at probably 3 in the morning....Imma pretend I'm 23 real fast, okay?  :smile:

Also, students are back.  I kind of missed all of their nonsense, b/c I moved in during Xmas break, then only had one semester and it wasn't all new freshman.  Driving in our downtown isn't that hard, but it can be confusing if you're not familiar with one way streets, I guess.  I had a young male driver nearly hit me because he thought something was a 4 way stop (missing the cross traffic doesn't stop sign), and then got in front of me in the right lane.  At the stoplight that's maybe MAYBE 100 yards , moved into the left lane (which is where I discovered young male driver and could see his parking tag) and proceeded to turn left on a red light.  WTF, dude?  Had 2 other cars cut me off from street parking.  Thank goodness I actually pay attention to speed limits downtown and was only doing about 25 mph.  One trip to Walmart was all that was.
  • Happy Friday!!

My weekend plans include visiting all the stationary/craft stores and laundry.

My car is happy with a new battery so that is relieving. 

Oh! I have a Question! I hired a lady I used to work with to do some alterations on my dress. I met her through theatre so she does more costumes than regular alterations but is an excellent seamtress. I hired her because I like to give my business to small, local businesses  and I trust her work. I received the dress yesterday. She did a lot of work, took it in like 4 sizes, hemmed it, added a bustle. Everything looks great. I messaged her to let get know it was here to which she replied the that the work is my wedding gift but asked that the shipping be reimbursed (which I previously told her I would do). I suspected she might offer a discount but I always fully intended to pay her for her work. So now I am writing her thank you card and Idk what to write the check for. The $27.37 for shipping? I don't what to be rude by refusing her gift but it feels wrong to let her do all that work for nothing? Gift certificate to a nice restaurant? Write the check for over the amount? WWWWD?

That's always a tough one!  Maybe round the check up to $50 (or more) as a tip and/or send flowers or similar.  Who doesn't like to get a surprise delivery gift?

We have a "family" hair dresser back in my hometown.  That myself, my sister, and my mom have been seeing for 25+ years.  Whenever I go home to visit, which alas is only every 1-3 years, I always make an appointment with her to get something done.  She is an AMAZING hair dresser.  Plus it is a nice excuse to catch up.

On one of these visits, I was getting a trim and color.  I asked what I owed her at the end and she says something like, "Oooohhh...let's just call it $25."  Puh-leez.  Her color alone STARTS at $80...and I have very long hair.  I gave her $60...and still felt bad after the fact that it wasn't enough, lol.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• @Heffalump sending Vitamin C vibes your way; glad to hear your mom is doing well and her tumor is responsive.  And dude, you got stung on top of all that?  I'm so sorry.  When it rains, I guess.

The worst part is, it bothered me at the time and then felt better.  Until it randomly started itching like crazy half an hour ago.  Felt like a fire ant, but I thought those usually went in swarms.  Maybe it was a lone gunman fire ant.
  • I'm so freaking excited for this weekend.

I did my last 5.5mile walk in preparation for my 14er.   Tomorrow a friend and I are going to do a hike or 2.  Campout.  Then get up at 3:30am or so and do the 14er hike.    

DH is making me a corny sign with the peak name and elevation.    This is totally a pictures or it didn't happen event.  So I might post one on Sunday  :)

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Good luck, @lyndausvi hope it's good weather for you!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards