Wedding Woes

Hello-o-o?

Happy Monday, y'all. 

How was the weekend?

Ours was all right.  We smoked pork shoulder on Saturday and it was amazing.  We had a hodge-podge of friends/family over to help us eat it.  ;)

Yesterday, I was a little hung over for over half the day.  DH and I were both one with the couch until late afternoon.  My kitchen is still a disaster. 

The kiddo's home sick.  He's running a slight fever and feels crappy.  I hope sleeping it off will help him feel better. 

Re: Hello-o-o?

• I had a great weekend but it was really busy. Dinner and drinks Friday night, Bears game all day Saturday, got up early Sunday to clean and by the time we were done, MIL was on her way over.

The forecast for the game Saturday said rain. So, I brought rain gear and didn't even think about sunblock. It did not rain and the sun was out. My knees are fried. I believe they are currently on fire. It hurts to walk and I'm shuffling around the office like an old man. I currently have my feet resting on a garbage can, my skirt pulled up and washcloths soaked in tea on my knees, trying to prevent them from blistering.

Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • I fell asleep stupid early on Friday and woke up to find a spotless kitchen, dining and living room, with all the clutter safely tucked away. DH is awesome like that, but it did make me feel pretty useless because it's something I should have been keeping up with the last few weeks rather than park my ass on the couch with a glass of wine and a book each evening. 

Stepped on the scale Saturday morning and had a mini meltdown because it said a number I haven't seen since the freshman fifteen started coming off over a decade ago.  I thought my new diet/workout regimen was progressing well, but I was oh so very wrong. Major changes are in store for this gal. I will miss the wine and the extra ten minutes of reading time every night, but I can't lie to myself any longer.

Last night, we had a last-minute dinner with DH's aunt and uncle and subsequently missed the FFL draft. Not a good way to introduce ourselves to the new league. Dinner good, autodraft baaaad. Autodraft gave me some cuh-razy picks, but I got Aaron Rodgers out of it so maybe there's a little hope?

At least I didn't get McClown...

"And when they use our atoms to make new lives, they won’t just be able to take one, they’ll have to take two, one of you and one of me..."
    --Philip Pullman

• At least I didn't get McClown...

:( poor Joshy Football. I did not see that.

Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • @ShesSoCold, it was from a game last year. But it was one of those WTF moments that just...lingers. I thought DH was going to put his fist through the tv when he saw it, and I'm pretty sure it may be the driving force behind not renewing the NFL Sunday Ticket with DirecTV. I, however, laughed myself sick.

"And when they use our atoms to make new lives, they won’t just be able to take one, they’ll have to take two, one of you and one of me..."
    --Philip Pullman

• FI had foot surgery Friday and his mom was supposed to take care of him. Instead, she dropped him off at home alone afterwards because she never read the discharge instructions that said, "DO NOT BE ALONE." I had to take a half day off to go home and watch him. I don't mind doing it, but she is retired and does literally nothing all day but watch TV.

We had a discussion Saturday morning about what we might be able to cut from the reception because we had an emergency expense pop up and ate big time into our wedding savings. When we got to breakfast with his mom she offered us $1000 for the reception so we don't have to cut anything. I just can't figure her out.

Found out yesterday that my mom's back surgery didn't work so they're going to have to do a more invasive procedure.
  • @mrsconn23  poor kiddos :( I have a love/hate when cleaning after people come over. Love because my place goes back to normal - Hate because cleaning lol!

Friday I went to the mall with my mum and got a few things. New wing is nice and I see quite a few stores that are new the our city that I'll be going back to.
    When I got home, my H had friends over so we all hung out for awhile. One of his friends FINALLY admitted he has a crush on me. lmao! It was obvious but I never figured he'd say it out loud. Nice guy. H isn't jealous really, and half the time the guys are trying to get a reaction out of him. Also, I know that despite the flirting - it's harmless and always in front of him lol Still a great feeling for my ego ;) Actually .... this friend I joke is going to be my 2nd husband ;)

Saturday we went to the beach, and I got burnt. My own fault, didn't reapply sunscreen and I don't think I did my back well enough first time. Doesn't hurt, more irritated and red. That night was a house warming party. From the sun and the burn, I ended up leaving early and busing with my friend home to crash.

Sunday whole lot of nothing. Hit the mall to make an exchange and found a nice skirt for work AND wedding. Tonight I'm seeing how it'll look with top I got.

I think this evening we're doing groceries. Normally we do it Thursday, but I might have hair appt so leaving it open in case.

28 days until keys!
    32 days until big move!
  • @ShesSoCold  try water and vinegar also! Takes the heat out :)
  • I'm not even sure where the weekend went to be honest. Friday we went out to eat, and it was really disappointing, we still have yet to find a good sports bar in town. Saturday was my long run, 11 miles, which felt surprisingly good. Then I went to German American Fest with someone from my running group. Making friends as an adult is weird, but I met a bunch of her friends/co-workers, also had too much beer and potato pancakes, but it was so worth it.
  • I had a weekend with my FI, which is rare with his job and hours.  We saw three movies and ate out.  A lot.  At really bad places too, unfortunately.  We sent out our wedding invites last night, to catch today's mail though, so that's exciting. 
    @shesSoCold, the same thing happened with FI and I.  We were debating on going to the Bristol Renaissance Faire Saturday, but rain was in the forecast and I didn't want to spend the $$ and drive that far to be rained on.  As it turns out it was the perfect walking around weather AND our friends went so we could have met up with them.  I shook my fist at weather.com.  

• Worked Friday night.

Saturday afternoon drove over to the trail head to setup camp.   Built a fire, meet a new girl (who was completely UNPREPARED to be camping, let alone do a 14er.) Talked around the fire, went to bed pretty early.

Sunday woke up at 3 (alarm set for 4:30, but I never went back to sleep).    Started the hike around 5:10am (with the unprepared girl.  thankfully our husbands hooks us up with lots of food and water, so we shared.).

First time I hiked in the dark.  A little creepy seeing just random lights in the distance from other hiker's head lamps.    I was slow but MADE IT TO THE SUMMIT!   (pic in Chit Chat thread).    Made it back down, drove to our town where we promptly told our husbands to met us at a bar/restaurant where we downed hamburgers and beers.      Passed out.

Today I can barely move.   Ha, but it was worth it.  

re: weather 

The forecast looked bad for the hike.  Cold, rainy, windy, possible lightning.    We saw a little mist while starting the fire, but it didn't last long.   It was cold at night, but not horrible.  

The hike was cold to start off.  Then once the sun came up it warmed up a bit.  The summit was cloudy and we did see a snow flake or 2, but it wasn't nearly as cold as I thought it would be.  I didn't even pullout my down jacket or my rain/wind shell. I was layered with a shirt, fleece and vest.  Just kept taking off/putting on my vest and hat as needed.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • 6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Saturday was soccer.  Pictures at 11 at one park then game across town at 1.  It was hot as balls.  I packed a lunch but then thought it would be nice to grab an iced tea at McDonald's and use a real bathroom.  I happened to find the only McDonald's (maybe anywhere) that is only a drive thru so we had to make a side trip into Babies R Us.

6let played keeper the whole game and I was a nervous wreck any time the ball got near him.  He was FANTASTIC, but I don't think I can handle a season of him there.  I also realized that I need to keep first aid kits everywhere.  6let and another boy needed bandaids, but apparently the coach didn't have a kit (side eye).  Thankfully I have a small one in my purse.  I'm getting one for 6let and  M2's bag and adding a small sunscreen.

Sunday we spent the day at the pool.  M2 dove her little heart out, like figured out how to actually dive.  Max as jumping off the side and swimming across 3 lanes before coming up to breath.  If his little TRex arms ever grow he could be pretty darn good.

This am was a bunch of work.  I was going to take Max to the playground, but he was whining that he was tired.  I told him to take a nap so he got a pillow and blanket and crashed on the couch.

OH and I sent my first tweet today!!
  • Friday was fun.  Fi and I both love photographing vacant/abandoned structures, and we checked out a new one we hadn't been to before.  We will be back in the future for some sunrise or sunset pics.

Saturday we picked up a guest who is visiting from Bogota.  I offered to host her in particular because I am taking fi on a surprise trip to Colombia in just over a month, and it's been been amusing listening to her talk about her country to us when he has no idea he's about to go there.  It's hard to keep a straight face sometimes, and also hard to act clueless/pretend I haven't been researching this place like crazy for the past month.  Our visitor has turned out to be super nice, and it's really cool to get the scoop from a local.  (She is in on the plan, btw.)

Sunday fi and I went to the state fair with our guest and a friend.  We all had a blast!  It was supposed to rain here, too, but it just wound up getting super hot instead.  I love the fair but hate the heat, so by the time we got home I just wanted to collapse.  Instead we had a few friends over, which might not have been my top choice in the moment but was legitimately a lot of fun.

Tonight is dinner out with a very old friend of fi's who lives in Italy and some people he knows from back then.  I'm particularly looking forward to meeting a few whose paths I haven't managed to cross yet.

Oh, and on Friday we finally managed to make plans for Labor Day weekend.  Fi vetoed going to see his mom, and I vetoed staying home and doing nothing in particular.  Therefore, we will be continuing our quest to hang out in cities we can drive to but have not yet been to by spending the weekend in Indianapolis. That's much farther than I would ordinarily choose to drive (8.5 hours!), but our Airbnb comes with a cat so that's a plus.
  • Happy Monday.  I'm still pooped/groggy from the wedding on Saturday.

We had so much fun!  The groom is a chef so he wrote the menu and prepped the food and it was fantastic!   Needless to say I exceeded my calorie limit for the day, by like a whole days worth.  Yay for running tonight </sarcasm>

@AtomicBlonde, our house is a wreck too.  FI said he was going to start cleaning when he got home from practice/setting up his classroom.  Is it bad that I debated "working late" just so he gets more done!?
  • Where in the heck did the summer go!??!  Today was DD's first day of school for the year.  I'm not a fan of this whole starting before Labor Day thing especially since there isn't a single month the entire school year that the kids don't have at least one if not three days off in the course of a month. 
  • MesmrEwe said:
    Where in the heck did the summer go!??!  Today was DD's first day of school for the year.  I'm not a fan of this whole starting before Labor Day thing especially since there isn't a single month the entire school year that the kids don't have at least one if not three days off in the course of a month. 
    I hate this too teaching at the college level. There are so many stupid days off and starting then stopping again so quickly is terrible for learning. Drives me up the wall.
  • MesmrEwe said:
    Where in the heck did the summer go!??!  Today was DD's first day of school for the year.  I'm not a fan of this whole starting before Labor Day thing especially since there isn't a single month the entire school year that the kids don't have at least one if not three days off in the course of a month. 
    I hate this too teaching at the college level. There are so many stupid days off and starting then stopping again so quickly is terrible for learning. Drives me up the wall.

I was reading an article a few months ago that was talking about how antiquated and detrimental the typical "summers off" school systems are.  Though it was focused just on primary education.  The emphasis was on how much children forget when they break from school for 3 months during the summer.  The article advocated a year-round system, where the length of the "summer break" is broken out over the whole year.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • MesmrEwe said:

I was reading an article a few months ago that was talking about how antiquated and detrimental the typical "summers off" school systems are.  Though it was focused just on primary education.  The emphasis was on how much children forget when they break from school for 3 months during the summer.  The article advocated a year-round system, where the length of the "summer break" is broken out over the whole year.

I taught for several years and think this is a fantastic idea. Trying to get kids to focus either right before summer break or right after school starts is a royal pain.
  • MesmrEwe said:

I taught for several years and think this is a fantastic idea. Trying to get kids to focus either right before summer break or right after school starts is a royal pain.
    Our school system tried it, and it didn't fly. I have a friend whose kids are in a year 'round school system and doesn't particularly like it. Our kids (system's) are out at the end of May and go back the beginning of August. Everyone complains about how short the summers are now.  
  • MesmrEwe said:

Our school system tried it, and it didn't fly. I have a friend whose kids are in a year 'round school system and doesn't particularly like it. Our kids (system's) are out at the end of May and go back the beginning of August. Everyone complains about how short the summers are now.  
    We're on a 'balanced' calendar.  This means that our kids get a 2 week fall, winter, and spring break.  They get 8 weeks off in the summer.    They finish school at the end of May and go back at the end of July.  It's a great schedule.  Summer break seems short at first, but I'm ready for them to go back by the end of the 8 weeks.  
  • mrsconn23 said:
    MesmrEwe said:

We're on a 'balanced' calendar.  This means that our kids get a 2 week fall, winter, and spring break.  They get 8 weeks off in the summer.    They finish school at the end of May and go back at the end of July.  It's a great schedule.  Summer break seems short at first, but I'm ready for them to go back by the end of the 8 weeks.  
    I know we are in the same area. My friend that I said her kids are in year round school is actually on the same schedule as yours - maybe same system.
  • mrsconn23 said:
    MesmrEwe said:

I know we are in the same area. My friend that I said her kids are in year round school is actually on the same schedule as yours - maybe same system.
    We're one of several districts on it.  More and more are going to the schedule.  My older sister's son is on the same break schedule as our district.  My younger sister is a teacher and her district is kind of on the schedule, but some of their breaks are shorter.  

Our old district is still holding out on switching. I know several friends who want it, but they are being dicks about it. 
  • *Barbie**Barbie* member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited August 2016
    mrsconn23 said:

I think I'd be in favor of this provided there was some sort of consistently available childcare during the break periods. We'd probably use one or two of them for trips, but I can see that being a little more difficult to juggle childcare for the little kids. 
  • *Barbie* said:
    mrsconn23 said:

I think I'd be in favor of this provided there was some sort of consistently available childcare during the break periods. We'd probably use one or two of them for trips, but I can see that being a little more difficult to juggle childcare for the little kids. 
    Most school districts provide a before and after school program (through the Y or parks dept) and they will offer 'camps' during breaks. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards