Wedding Woes

Wednesday!

Only 2 days left for me until the long weekend.  The weather is going to be *perfect* for our camping trip. 

Next weekend is BIL's goodbye party before he leaves for deployment.  My poor sister is having such a hard time.   I've been helping her with catering planning for the party because I know it's keeping her mind off BIL leaving.  

My cousin is coming to stay with us for the party weekend.  :D  He and his wife have 3 boys right around DefConn's age.  I'm so excited.  I've been hoping they'd plan a trip down to stay with us.  

We are refinancing the house and DH keeps bringing up bigger ticket purchases as if we need them right now.  I'm like, "DUDE!  One thing at a time!"  I know we need a new fridge, but ours isn't dead...so we can wait a few weeks (or months even). 

Re: Wednesday!

• I've been trying to get two positions filled at work this week. Unfortunately, the majority of people responding to the ad are idiots. I put the hours (M-F 8-4:30) and get asked if it's full time. I put the skills required and get asked if we'll train. I put that you must have a clean driving record and get asked if it's required to have a driver's license. I get someone in, hire him, he passes the drug test, then he finds out his license was revoked. 

FI told his mom last night that the baby is a girl and her initial reaction was "I thought it was too early to tell." Followed by, "Well, so much for keeping Harrison's clothes" and "You're going to need another car seat." He must have been influenced a ton by his father because he's as sweet, caring, and nurturing as she is negative and cynical.

• @mrsconn23  yay perfect weather :) boo BIL leaving :(

We got a rental car last night and damn it's fancy! So fancy that H said he wants it to be our next vehicle {despite dramatically wanting a truck ...}
    Not much last night. Just groceries.
    Ended up getting into a heated conversation, and realized we don't agree on it and never will so we just dropped it eventually. 

Tonight I have to vacuum and I'll likely toss more small things into boxes. I think we're just having pasta or pizza for dinner because I completely forgot to take something out lol
  • We're halfway there, people!

I sent my interview thank you emails yesterday and got 3 nice responses, so that's something, anyway.

Both kids were grumps this morning.  I think the reality of the new schedule is sinking in.  6:00 comes bright and early. 

I took a cup of coffee to the bus stop this morning, so I decided not to take my usual travel mug of coffee to work.  I am now regretting this obviously crazy decision.

Leaving early today to take the kids to my mom's and meet my FSIL (and see my brother).  Looking forward to it.
  • bleve0821bleve0821 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited August 2016
    What sounded like a herd of elephants just sprinted past my office.  I have no idea what is happening, and I'm not sure I should get up to find out.

DH did not buy milk after he finished off the gallon the other day.  He bought himself beer, but he could not buy me milk, which he knows is a staple of my diet.  I got IRRATIONALLY angry with him and yelled at him about priorities and responsibilities.  Mostly, it was the fact that he remembered he needed beer, but couldn't be bothered to replace the milk he could also have gotten at the same gas station, forcing his exhausted wife to get back in the same car she had just spent 10 out of the last 24 hours in traveling for work.  The WHOLE time I was painfully aware that I was having a meltdown over milk.

Yay for being home.

We are trying to get away for a weekend in October to a cabin in some kind of national/state park/forest/mountains WHATEVER.  Just a cabin.  Surrounded by trees, maybe a little water, and minimal people.  I'd really like to go back to Uwharrie, but that's a little too far for DH to get to after work on a Friday, so we're looking at someplace between the Smoky Mountains and North GA.  I have found a couple of promising places, but I suck at making decisions which means we will probably never pull the trigger on it.

I ate my lunch at 8:30 (which I guess qualified it as a "second breakfast") because I was starving and couldn't wait any longer, and now I'm starving again so I am thinking about leaving work a little early to get in a little longer run so I can have elevensies.  I have this new app called "Zombies, Run!" that I want to try out and see if it makes summertime running less sucky.

"And when they use our atoms to make new lives, they won’t just be able to take one, they’ll have to take two, one of you and one of me..."
    --Philip Pullman

• @AtomicBlonde I definitely recommend the Smokies or Blue Ridge/Western NC/Northern GA in October. The weather is beautiful, tons of cabins (minimal people unless you go in to town), good hiking, amazing waterfalls. If you need recommendations I can give you some in Western NC. Sounds like you guys could use a weekend away. I haven't had a meltdown over milk, but I did get irrationally angry that my H moved an important envelope and I couldn't find it.

I'm feeling guilty about skipping a major work conference this weekend. It's a terrible time of year for it, it's always insanely expensive, and I just didn't really want to go. But now I'm feeling like I should be there (co-author is presenting our research), and that I should be networking. I don't have a good excuse for not going besides I just didn't submit anything in time.
  • I am at the airport. The dude across from me at the gate brought a bologna sandwich from home. Pretty sure the dude behind him is Dave Chappell.
  • DS2 is on his way to a job interview! Fingers crossed. I woke up at 2:30 this morning and couldn't go back to sleep. I see a nap in my near future.
  • I have Friday off, and this week feels like it's dragging. Our admin set up a team happy hour tonight, so at least that won't suck. 
  • I am at the airport. The dude across from me at the gate brought a bologna sandwich from home. Pretty sure the dude behind him is Dave Chappell.
    I love people watching at the airport!

I had my pre-op appointment this morning!  I also freaked out last night that I was making a mistake.  But then after the appointment, I am pumped again.  FI came with so he could ask questions too and also loves the doctor.  Afterwards, we hit up Target to get my scripts filled for post op and so I could buy some clearance button downs, because you know, busty girls don't do button downs but post op girls do.

@mrsconn23 23 - where is he being deployed to?  I feel for your sister, it's easy to recognize the sacrifice the active military personnel make and it's easy to overlook just how hard it is on the families, especially the spouses.
  • Yay for button-downs, @kimmiinthemitten.

Also on the deployment front @mrsconn23, are they involved in any base family groups at all? My dad was deployed a lot when I was a kid and there weren't as many groups or activities as there are now, but it would have helped to know other kids whose families were experiencing the same thing.
  • @charlotte989865 any suggestions for around Biltmore? We are looking for an end of Sept/early Oct getaway and can't think of anything. H randomly suggested going to the Biltmore but I can't figure out what else would be around we might want to do to make it a nice long weekend. 
  • kvruns said:
    @charlotte989865 any suggestions for around Biltmore? We are looking for an end of Sept/early Oct getaway and can't think of anything. H randomly suggested going to the Biltmore but I can't figure out what else would be around we might want to do to make it a nice long weekend. 
    Asheville is becoming quite the foodie town if that interests you. Hendersonville is a little town near Asheville that is quite artsy is that is something you would enjoy. Great Smokey National Park is there too - hiking? Driving along the Blue Ridge Parkway?
  • What sounded like a herd of elephants just sprinted past my office.  I have no idea what is happening, and I'm not sure I should get up to find out.
    Probably cake!  At least that would be true in my office, lol.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

I had my pre-op appointment this morning!  I also freaked out last night that I was making a mistake.  But then after the appointment, I am pumped again.  FI came with so he could ask questions too and also loves the doctor.  Afterwards, we hit up Target to get my scripts filled for post op and so I could buy some clearance button downs, because you know, busty girls don't do button downs but post op girls do.

@mrsconn23 23 - where is he being deployed to?  I feel for your sister, it's easy to recognize the sacrifice the active military personnel make and it's easy to overlook just how hard it is on the families, especially the spouses.

LMAO!  Picturing the many times I've said, as I was trying a button down shirt on, "This shirt is so cute!  Slightly tailored in the waist, it even fits my fat upper arms...yay! (continue buttoning up)...uh oh..."  Those TWO buttons.  You know the ones I'm talking about.  Straining so hard, like rabid dogs on a leash.  On an otherwise perfect fitting shirt.  Why?  WHY???
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • 6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    I'm cranky.  We have this website for school stuff sort of like facebook(Schoology).  Any time I try to log in I get a "username and password not recognized." I hit the "forgot password" and have a new one sent to me.  Then I can log in and reset the password- to the same one I've always used.  EVERY TIME this happens and they can't tell me why.  I have two kids with two teachers that post information and resources almost daily.  Grrrr.

The place my company does all of their deals redid the website and all of our open accounts are GONE.  Support just told me I should re-enter the deals.  All 400+.
  • edited August 2016
    Ouch, @6fsn, on both counts! 
  • @short+sassy it was so weird because instead of trying them on today I just held them up to my waist to make sure they'd cover.  Who knows what my top half will look like soon!?

However, first purchase (along with one of those cute lacey, racer-back bras) is a chambray button up.  I've wanted one for so long!

• kvruns said:
    @charlotte989865 any suggestions for around Biltmore? We are looking for an end of Sept/early Oct getaway and can't think of anything. H randomly suggested going to the Biltmore but I can't figure out what else would be around we might want to do to make it a nice long weekend. 
    What are you interested in, and how far afield do you want to go?  Biltmore is not too far to Boone/Blowing Rock and the Blue Ridge Mountains.  If you like outdoorsy things, Grandfather Mountain is not far, or you can hike Mt. Mitchell (highest peak east of the Mississippi).  Asheville is awesome, they have a trolley you can take to visit galleries and stuff.  Lots of beer.

Smokies will be beautiful, but near peak visitor numbers.  You can raft the Nantahala River, or ride the Great Smoky Mountains Railroad.  Many, many options. 

Unrelated:  my brother and his FI have officially landed!  They are getting checked in and then heading to my mom's, and I'm out of here in <1 hr.  Meanwhile, my mom is already texting me that she isn't sure she likes the FI (who she hasn't met yet), thinks my brother is moving too fast, etc.  Oy. 
  • kvruns said:
    Asheville is great; tons of food an breweries (like 48-49 in Buncombe county alone when we move in May), a few nice galleries, cool history/walking city tour, and tons of great music. The Orange Peel always has fantastic bands in. If you're interested in driving a bit from there I'd head west along the Blue Ridge Parkway toward Cherokee. The views are spectacular, and there is amazing Native American history stops in the village. There are also easy parts of the Appalachian Trial to hike if you're interested in that.

What are you guys in to? I can give more specific suggestions depending on what you like to do.
  • @charlotte989875 I think this time we are just trying to get away from it all for a little while.  Well, that's my plan.  I just want to sit and watch the leaves change color and quietly take in the scent of October (a little like Ferdinand the Bull).  Asheville will be doable after we move and things settle down a little, it's on our list of places to go, and I will happily take suggestions for things to do in the area.

I like wine.  Wine is good.  Wine would be good.  All the wine would be even better.  I am open to suggestions for awesome wineries.  Anywhere.  I had heard there are a few near Helen, GA, but I suspect there are probably fewer as one gets deeper into the mountains.

"And when they use our atoms to make new lives, they won’t just be able to take one, they’ll have to take two, one of you and one of me..."
    --Philip Pullman

• kvrunskvruns member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited August 2016
    kvruns said:
    Asheville is great; tons of food an breweries (like 48-49 in Buncombe county alone when we move in May), a few nice galleries, cool history/walking city tour, and tons of great music. The Orange Peel always has fantastic bands in. If you're interested in driving a bit from there I'd head west along the Blue Ridge Parkway toward Cherokee. The views are spectacular, and there is amazing Native American history stops in the village. There are also easy parts of the Appalachian Trial to hike if you're interested in that.

What are you guys in to? I can give more specific suggestions depending on what you like to do.
    I don't know what we are into LOL. The problem is I'll be 7 months pregnant so while I'd like to do hiking and lots of walking/exploring I don't know if I'll want to (so far I'm still good for lots of activity) and the idea of a bunch of breweries is a turn off since I can't enjoy. 

Not super into a bunch of museums (or rather H isn't), I like exploring on foot and checking out little shops or getting a treat at a store/restaurant. We went to Gatlinburg around the same time last year and took one day to do driving on twisty roads (H's thing, not mine), then the rest of the time mostly just exploring the different shops, restaurants, hiking for a half day.

Edit: What I really wanted was to just sit on a beach for a few days - our favorite type of vacation. but it just isn't in the cards because I don't want to drive that far (and Lake Michigan is too cold) and we aren't looking to spend a bunch and fly somewhere. Sometimes I wish I would have just said let's fly somewhere and been done with it bc it is way more exhausting trying to find a driveable trip. 
  • @charlotte989875 I think this time we are just trying to get away from it all for a little while.  Well, that's my plan.  I just want to sit and watch the leaves change color and quietly take in the scent of October (a little like Ferdinand the Bull).  Asheville will be doable after we move and things settle down a little, it's on our list of places to go, and I will happily take suggestions for things to do in the area.

I like wine.  Wine is good.  Wine would be good.  All the wine would be even better.  I am open to suggestions for awesome wineries.  Anywhere.  I had heard there are a few near Helen, GA, but I suspect there are probably fewer as one gets deeper into the mountains.
    Helen GA is a trip if you have never been there. A friend and I went hiking near there and had heard Of Helen but knew nothing About it. Like walking into Disneyworld, lol.

YAY!! So excited for you!

• @mrsconn23 23 - where is he being deployed to?  I feel for your sister, it's easy to recognize the sacrifice the active military personnel make and it's easy to overlook just how hard it is on the families, especially the spouses.
    Kuwait.  For 10 months.  But he leaves next weekend (after the party) for training in TX and I don't think he's coming back home...and if he does, it will be for 2 days or something. 

• Also on the deployment front @mrsconn23, are they involved in any base family groups at all? My dad was deployed a lot when I was a kid and there weren't as many groups or activities as there are now, but it would have helped to know other kids whose families were experiencing the same thing.
    No base.  He's in the national guard and the unit he's deploying with is out of TX...I think?  I don't really understand military stuff, ha.   He's an officer, so he'll be directing stuff more than anything else. 

My parents are quasi-moving in with her and my nephews.  She has an in-law suite in her house.  They're going to stay M-Th nights to help with the kids.  My mom can work out of the store near my sister's house and my dad can work from home a few days a week.  My sister also has a close-knit group of neighbors.   Plus, my younger sister and I live locally too.  So support is not an issue...but she's going to worry and be stressed until he's back.  

Luckily, he's close to retirement.  So this should be the only one.  However I think for every military person, the upcoming election is scaring the hell out of them.  I know my other BIL (SIL's H) is on the list for deployment next year, to the middle east.  They haven't told their kids yet and they won't until he has a date and location. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards