Wedding Woes
Options

home remodel - a cautionary tale with a light show

quick recap: 
about 2 months ago, we had 2 major water leaks within a week in our house, which caused a significant amount of secondary damage. one was easily fixed - a clog in the drain line that was causing water from the AC condenser to back into the attic and drip through the 2nd floor and into the 1st floor ceiling. The other was a much bigger issue that has probably been going on (unknown) for quite a while - grout breakdown, a broken diverter valve, and a massive drain leak in out master bathroom. unfortunately master bath is directly above the kitchen, so this took out about 1/2 of our kitchen.

as a result, insurance company is basically replacing the kitchen, and doing other remediation work throughout the house. the master bath is on us - and we figured it would be cheaper to just remodel now so we could piggyback on the other work. We liked the PM that the insurance sent us, so we got him to quote the master bath and some minor fixes in the laundry room, and the price he gave us seemed pretty reasonable, so we just asked them to tack it on. 

They started working last Tuesday, and work actually completed through yesterday was minor - and we were pretty annoyed because we'd been WFH every day and some days nobody even showed up - and had a bit of a come to Jesus with the PM. I talked to him in person yesterday and he assured me that the work scheduled for the rest of the week would put us much more on track. He came out to the house to carve out a larger space for tub #2, since the plumbers broke tub #1 by trying to shove it in a hole that was too small. 

So the plumbers show up yesterday afternoon and start to install tub #2, except there's a problem. See, we wanted a tub that was the same size as the old tub, but was a whirlpool tub. The tub that we had fully filled the space between the 2 walk in closets, which is about 60" long x 42" wide. So when the guys get tub #2 in yesterday, there was a clear problem - it's not wide enough/none of the plumbing lines up. 
Jess Kluczniks portrait

*sigh*
So PM basically looked at his typical distributors and was like, i can't get you what you want without it costing 4x as much - apparently this isn't a standard size. He tells DK this over the phone who relayed it to me.

At this point, I'm livid - I had DK call the PM because I knew he'd be much nicer on the phone. 

I went online - searched for all of 5 minutes and found about 5 different options from one company. I choose the model I want (about $200 more than the original tub) and throw in the "tranquility package" which upgrades the jets and adds an LED light show. (because at this point, why the fuck not?)

I have DK send it all to the PM with an e-mail saying that they need to do this for the cost of the original tub because ultimately a lot of trouble and time could have been saved if they guy had just measured correctly in the first place.

I followed up with a voicemail to the PM indicating that if he had a problem including the "tranquility" upgrade at their cost, then to have his boss call me because as far as I was concerned with as much time/energy have been wasted over this and the level of frustration  all of this has caused - they need to do everything in their power to put us in a more tranquil place. 

He got it approved and ordered the tub (with tranquility package) this morning. 

Re: home remodel - a cautionary tale with a light show

• Options
    what a nightmare! at least it's getting resolved!
  • Options
    short+sassyshort+sassy member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited September 2016

I agree!  You'll need that "tranquility package" after everything you have been going through with this kitchen/master bath remodel. 

I'm super jealous of your whirlpool tub, though. My H and I always joke about the "best" way to get one of those super big Jacuzzi tubs into our house.  Never mind having to take out a wall and then expand the bathroom so it would even fit.  Would it then be easier to take our neighbor's fence down and rip out a side portion of our house?  Or remove the roof and crane it in, lol? 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

Wow, sorry for the headaches but yay for the upgrade!

@short&sassy, H and I looked at a house that had this huge, beautiful sunroom but right in the freaking middle was this giant (like 12 person) in-floor Jacuzzi. I'm pretty sure they put it in when they built the room because there's no other way to get it in there like that.

Our master bathroom is really long and narrow. We have a tub/shower on one wall but even that is more narrow than most and isn't a nice soaking tub. What's weird is that there's also a stand-up shower on the opposite wall. We discussed how we could possible get rid of the dueling showers and add a nice tub but I don't think it would be easy without moving some walls. :(

Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Options

Wow, sorry for the headaches but yay for the upgrade!

@short&sassy, H and I looked at a house that had this huge, beautiful sunroom but right in the freaking middle was this giant (like 12 person) in-floor Jacuzzi. I'm pretty sure they put it in when they built the room because there's no other way to get it in there like that.

Our master bathroom is really long and narrow. We have a tub/shower on one wall but even that is more narrow than most and isn't a nice soaking tub. What's weird is that there's also a stand-up shower on the opposite wall. We discussed how we could possible get rid of the dueling showers and add a nice tub but I don't think it would be easy without moving some walls. :(

A house we rented years ago had a whirlpool tub on one wall, similar to the one you just bought...though no LED lights and tranquility package, lol.  Then there was a stand-up shower on another wall.  A good sized bathroom all around.  It was NICE!  The bedrooms/living room were enormous and had 16 foot ceilings.

But then the kitchen was the tiniest galley kitchen ever.  The original house had been built in the 1850s, but that kitchen was an addition thrown onto the side of the house probably in the 1960s or 1970s.  Very little room between the original footprint and the property line to put it into.

The house we bought and the house we rented between the two, both have okay-sized kitchens, but small bathrooms.  My H and I always joke that, in our area, you can have a nice-sized kitchen.  Or a nice-sized bathroom.  But not both (unless you are willing to pay big bucks).

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    kylexokylexo member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited September 2016
    we bought a total gut fixer upper a couple months ago and are almost finished with the bathroom. it'll be the first time as an adult that i've had a tub i can take a nice bath in. i'm so excited for it (and totally jealous of your tranquility package!)
  • Options
    Wooo tranquility package!

You'll have to show us picks when it's all done. Hopefully in a timely manner ;).

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards