Wedding 911

Need help figuring out when I should begin getting ready? Help!

I need some help in figuring out when I should start getting ready with my 2 bridesmaids. We're all getting hair and makeup done on the venue site. The ceremony and venue are both in the same place. I have my photographer for 8-9 hours and would love to have her snap a few photos of me and my girls beforehand, including my fiance. I have the venue for the whole day so I will definitely be there around 10-11 to help out decorate a bit. 

The ceremony begins at 4:30. Guest arrival starts at 4:00pm. Should I start getting ready at 1pm or is that too late? Perhaps 12 or 11? I'm definitely one of those people that loves having some time to relax after and not be in a rush so I need some feedback ;)

Re: Need help figuring out when I should begin getting ready? Help!

• I would ask your photographer how much time she needs for your photos, then give that time to the hair/makeup people and have them determine the best starting time.  Something to consider too is having the photographer there to work on the Groom/GM/His family shots while you are "getting ready" and then having her focus on the Bride/BM/Your family once done.  If she has an assistant/second shooter, even better as they can "divide and conquer" the photos.  If you are doing a first look, then you will need to budget that time in as well, if not you can go straight to the ceremony from here and do all the group shots during cocktail hour.

If you are going to need more than two hours from getting ready time to ceremony start consider bringing along something for everyone to eat (sandwiches, deli tray, healthy-ish snacks) and drinks as the pre-wedding activities can tend to become a marathon and you won't be eating until at least two-two and half hours after the ceremony depending on your time line.

A final note, try to monopolize everyone's day if you don't have to.  Less is more with wedding photos and if you need to leave your site for photos (meaning even more time) limit this to the nearest site that gives you multiple purposes, like a lake with some trees and water and flowers, etc.  Also having a list of "must-have" shots prepared and organized by who is in what ahead of time is a huge help to getting as many photos as possible in the shortest amount of time. 

• I need some help in figuring out when I should start getting ready with my 2 bridesmaids. We're all getting hair and makeup done on the venue site. The ceremony and venue are both in the same place. I have my photographer for 8-9 hours and would love to have her snap a few photos of me and my girls beforehand, including my fiance. I have the venue for the whole day so I will definitely be there around 10-11 to help out decorate a bit. 

The ceremony begins at 4:30. Guest arrival starts at 4:00pm. Should I start getting ready at 1pm or is that too late? Perhaps 12 or 11? I'm definitely one of those people that loves having some time to relax after and not be in a rush so I need some feedback ;)

Speaking with your photog will help you sort this out.  I had my photographer for 8 hours, so based on our ceremony time, she gave me her projected start time for the day.  All BMs were dressed and ready to go when she arrived.  I had hair and make up done, but took the traditional dressing pictures with my mom tying up my gown.  That was the extent of our getting ready pics. 

Based on the 8 hour timeframe, I then finished out my timeline making sure that the cake was cut prior to her exit.  Also, check with your caterer about a timeframe too.  I wanted to enter, do the first dance and parent dances prior to sitting down for dinner.  But my venue preferred us sitting down to eat after the first dance because it worked better for their timing of dinner.  We did do toasts while the salad course was being served.

• Thank you ladies. I emailed my photog for input. I want to get as many pictures as possible!
  • As for when to get ready, how many stylists and MUAs do you have? One person to take care of all 3 people, or multiple? I'd slot an hour each for hair and make up. Obviously with multiple you can all be done at the same time, but if only one you're going to have to slot 3 hours for hair and make up. Dressing for me was pretty quick- half an hour maybe.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards