Wedding Woes

Use your words? Lock your shit up?

Dear Prudence,

I’m a college student living off-campus with a new roommate. I’m not scrounging for change in the couch cushions, but I’m on a pretty tight budget. I have grocery shopping down to an art with coupons, discounts, and sales, and I enjoy cooking, so I usually have leftovers in the fridge. The problem is my new roommate who is constantly eating the food I bought and cooked. I can’t afford to feed her too, but she’s constantly going on about how she “forgot” to go shopping or she “just can’t” because she’s working on a paper. She also buys really junky food, or food with meat in it (I’m vegetarian), so it’s not like I can just borrow some of hers to even things out. I don’t want to be the person who labels everything of mine in the fridge with “do not eat,” but I like cooking a dish on Sunday and knowing all I have to do is microwave dinner Monday thru Wednesday. I wouldn’t have as much of a problem if I could afford a lot of food, but I just can’t. What do I do?

—Hungry Roommate

Re: Use your words? Lock your shit up?

• Yeah, Mrs.Conn. You gotta talk to her.
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • My sister's junior year she lived in an apartment with 4 or 5 other women.   They were supposed to have communal food and everyone shared grocery expenses.  Yeah, that lasted about a month.  Two people decided they were done sharing food and everyone was on their own.  They went through and labeled all the food and left nothing for my sister and another girl.   Then after the great grocery divide, people were eating my sister's food that she bought.  She confronted them and then locked her stuff up or hid it in her room. 

She lived alone her senior year. 
  • This is what college is about; learning how to navigate adult situations. Speak up, or have your food continuously eaten by someone else. 
    yep

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Buy a lockable mini fridge...  Label the food containers as "Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday" and say you're meal prepping for your fitness program (Fit'n'this food in my mouth TYVM!)...  Adulting is SO HARD!
  • This is what college is about; learning how to navigate adult situations. Speak up, or have your food continuously eaten by someone else. 

QFT. If she can't handle a situation like this (which has a very simple solution), she'll never make it in the real world.

• Apparently I was a "good" roomie.  In college, one of the roomies I shared an apartment with (it was just us) used to cook all the time.  Usually spaghetti.  She'd put the leftovers in the fridge.  But, I swear, in the two years we lived together, I don't think she EVER ate her leftovers.  She'd just throw them out after they were a few days old.

There were a number of times I wanted to "raid" them especially since I knew they would just go to waste but, to me, that was rude so I never did.  Looking back, I wish I'd put my big girl panties on and just asked her, "Hey, you don't seem to ever eat your leftovers, is it cool if I eat them (or ask) if they are starting to get a few days old?"

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Apparently I was a "good" roomie.  In college, one of the roomies I shared an apartment with (it was just us) used to cook all the time.  Usually spaghetti.  She'd put the leftovers in the fridge.  But, I swear, in the two years we lived together, I don't think she EVER ate her leftovers.  She'd just throw them out after they were a few days old.

There were a number of times I wanted to "raid" them especially since I knew they would just go to waste but, to me, that was rude so I never did.  Looking back, I wish I'd put my big girl panties on and just asked her, "Hey, you don't seem to ever eat your leftovers, is it cool if I eat them (or ask) if they are starting to get a few days old?"

SITB

I have always asked to finish leftovers, especially if someone was going to throw them out, but I don't think it was me putting on big girl panties - I am just really concerned with food going to waste.  I'd eat stuff I didn't really want to eat to avoid it getting thrown out.  Somehow, my grandparents passed on this fear of wasting food to my parents and then on to me ... it really disturbs me when perfectly good food gets thrown out. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards