Wedding Woes

I ain't got time to write Prudie

Am I crotchety or do you guys think it's rude to forward an email without adding a note? No "please take care of this" or even "this is for you", just a forward and an assumption that I know what you want me to do with it.
Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever

Re: I ain't got time to write Prudie

• Totally rude. 

We send out e-mails to members on behalf of other departments.  If the member writes back, we forward the e-mail back to the person who requested the contact and I always write something along the lines of, "This came in for you." 
  • I will rarely do this and usually only when there has been conversation about the subject matter.  
  • I think it's rude, and I've been known to do it when I'm super annoyed with coworkers who are slow to respond. I'm not writing a note on the fourth request. Just do your job.
  • This gets done frequently at my office.  I work in a law firm and we have a large group of co-defendants on our cases and we all work together.  Emails fly around this group.  So if its something I need to know about, or a small group of us need to know about - it just gets forwarded to the group.

I will also forward things around like that when its things people need to know about and they were not on the original email.

However, if there is a task that needs to be completed with any email.  Typically, I will write a quick note at the top to whoever. 

• Depends. My boss has mentioned she was sending an email regarding X thing, then sent with no note.

But also depends on what email says originally.
  • Totally rude. I just did this yesterday (the forwarding). Two emails came to me that my boss needed to deal with, I politely put, Boss' Name, please follow-up with client re: this issue. for the first one and an "please follow-up" on the second. 

It takes a minute to type. 
  • I don't respond when students do this. (Co-workers get more leeway, but it still annoys me). I find it lazy on their parts, because they are typically asking me to do something for them. 
  • Uh-oh. I've been guilty of that etiquette breach. I'm definitely not going to do that again!
  • Unless i had a specific conversation with that person beforehand, i will always add some sort of comment. 
  • Thank you!

My bosses regularly just forward me shit. Since it's a small office and they're the ass-kissers while I'm the one actually doing work, it's several times a day. And if they do bother to write something, they abbreviate my name to "A". These fucks can't even be bothered to type out my name.

Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • I think it is very context-specific.  I used to monitor a generic mailbox as part of my previous position ("sales@example.com"), and part of my job was to read what came in and make sure it got to the correct person.  I pretty much always sent these on without comment, and I don't think anyone took that as rude behavior.  But if it's something I have any involvement in I wouldn't shoot it off without a note.
  • I think it is very context-specific.  I used to monitor a generic mailbox as part of my previous position ("sales@example.com"), and part of my job was to read what came in and make sure it got to the correct person.  I pretty much always sent these on without comment, and I don't think anyone took that as rude behavior.  But if it's something I have any involvement in I wouldn't shoot it off without a note.
    I agree with this too.  Sending me an email with a task without discussing it beforehand or typing a quick note? Rude.  But then there are situations like at my old job, where we had a PC fax number that came to my computer/email.  Everyone knew that faxes came to my computer, so most of the time I would just forward the bank wiring statements/invoices/whatever to the person it belonged to.  

• I think it's rude unless that person has already talked to you about the email they are forwarding.

• Depends.

Agreed that if the email requires some action from you and it was not previously discussed, yes, there should be a note. Just as if you were speaking in person.

If it's something random, something of general interest, I don't see the need for a note.
  • Eh, I don't think it's rude. I do it all the time and so does my boss. Granted, my boss's desk is 15 feet away from me so I'll often just say, "hey, I just sent you a thing I thought would be good for X" or whatever. Sometimes I put a note depending on what it is. 
  • I just did this today.   I've been pushing for answers from a vendor and I can't proceed until they sign off.   Their responses have been, "Well Julie says that she sent it already," and I don't have it.   

So when I get, "Julie said she sent it.   Could you send it again and I'll just send it to you?" no, you don't get words in my email.   I shouldn't have had to email this to you anyway.   Figure out how to get me what I need.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards