Wedding Woes
Options

Wednesday

2»

Re: Wednesday

• Options
    *Barbie* said:
    SITB

@OurWildKingdom  - it sounds like a good idea to take the FMLA and get additional help. best wishes on everything. 

@ShesSoCold- is your vet or a kennel an option for a weekend/overnight? we board our dogs with the vet when we're OOT. (or right now since the house isn't livable.)

in the office today trying to get some work done. carpenters came in last night and got caught up on their backlog of work, so we have a box for the tub and a new door frame and some trim. painters are back at it with oil paint, today, so i'm sure the house will smell lovely, again. I picked up more clothing from the house last night, and realized that it smelled like paint/solvent when I got dressed for work, today. I sprayed myself down with Febreze before I got to the office. 

i think the granite crew is done (maybe some touch ups), and the plumbers will be connecting the kitchen sink/disposal/dishwasher and the bathroom faucets, so that's exciting. 

Edna is....a particular gal. She's big, about 100 lbs. and mean looking and likes things the way she likes them. Maybe I'm an over-protective dog parent but I don't think she'd do well in a kennel. As she gets older, she also has less tolerance for other dogs' bullshit so while she's not mean, that's concerning with her size and appearance. Even though she LOVES my dad, she hates when we leave her somewhere so that would break my little heart.

Not that you needed a novel about my dog, but we'd rather come home than board her.

Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Options
    *Barbie* said:
    SITB

@OurWildKingdom  - it sounds like a good idea to take the FMLA and get additional help. best wishes on everything. 

@ShesSoCold- is your vet or a kennel an option for a weekend/overnight? we board our dogs with the vet when we're OOT. (or right now since the house isn't livable.)

in the office today trying to get some work done. carpenters came in last night and got caught up on their backlog of work, so we have a box for the tub and a new door frame and some trim. painters are back at it with oil paint, today, so i'm sure the house will smell lovely, again. I picked up more clothing from the house last night, and realized that it smelled like paint/solvent when I got dressed for work, today. I sprayed myself down with Febreze before I got to the office. 

i think the granite crew is done (maybe some touch ups), and the plumbers will be connecting the kitchen sink/disposal/dishwasher and the bathroom faucets, so that's exciting. 

Edna is....a particular gal. She's big, about 100 lbs. and mean looking and likes things the way she likes them. Maybe I'm an over-protective dog parent but I don't think she'd do well in a kennel. As she gets older, she also has less tolerance for other dogs' bullshit so while she's not mean, that's concerning with her size and appearance. Even though she LOVES my dad, she hates when we leave her somewhere so that would break my little heart.

Not that you needed a novel about my dog, but we'd rather come home than board her.

Is your hotel pet friendly? Would you consider taking her? 

I totally understand. We vetted boarders before taking Charlie anywhere (he was abandoned and has some attachment issues) and we finally found one we love (that also has cameras so we can see him play and he gets his own bedroom). If he can't get in there we either take him with us, or take him to my in-laws (who he adores). 
  • Options
    lyndausvilyndausvi mod
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited September 2016
    Ugh, 3 showings today.  Mid-day.   I'm over this and it just started.

Laundry still broken.  Waiting on a part. 3 weeks and counting.  Now I have to go to the laundromat.    

Looking forward to having dinner with some members at a great restaurant tonight.   

We bought a new dining table and chairs yesterday.   Now I'm measure the space, because you know, why do it before hand?    It's going to be tight.   Oh well.  We can push it as far to the wall as possible and pull it out when we are entertaining.   Not idea, but not horrible either.   

ETA - the 10:30 showing cancelled.     GRRRR  Don't they know I got up early and cleaned just for them?

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    *Barbie**Barbie* member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited September 2016
    I understand re: not wanting to kennel if you don't have to. One of our dogs is a bullmastiff, and even though she's a sweetheart, she's 100lbs+ of muscle, and can be intimidating.
    We love our vet, and his staff adores our dogs, so we know they're getting tons of extra play time and affection. They also get to stay together, so it's easier on them when they have company.

ETA: we paid for my parents to fly down to house/dog/kid-sit  rather than boarding them last year, and we'll probably do it again next year to take a longer trip. We just don't have anyone local that can dogsit for us.
  • Options
    *Barbie* said:
    I understand re: not wanting to kennel if you don't have to. One of our dogs is a bullmastiff, and even though she's a sweetheart, she's 100lbs+ of muscle, and can be intimidating.
    We love our vet, and his staff adores our dogs, so we know they're getting tons of extra play time and affection. They also get to stay together, so it's easier on them when they have company.

ETA: we paid for my parents to fly down to house/dog/kid-sit  rather than boarding them last year, and we'll probably do it again next year to take a longer trip. We just don't have anyone local that can dogsit for us.
    Bullmastiffs are beautiful. There is one at our dog park who, while she looks terrifying, is the sweetest, best behaved dog there. 
  • Options
    We generally have one of DH's sous chefs/cooks dog sitters stay at our house.    It's just easier for the dogs.   

Plus DH's guys like the big screen TV, Direct TV, laundry, etc.  So it's a win-win for everyone. 

The bulldog is very spoiled and *must* sleep with a human.  Yep, we created a monster with that one.

One time we took them to another co-worker's house.  We paid their HS aged daughter to watch them. Although it save to say the parents did most of the work.  The bulldog did sleep with her every night. She said it took a few days to get use to the snoring.  He likes to lay his head on your head - Ha.  

The bulldog has been to the kennel just once.   The rescue never.   I can't see us doing that to him either.     

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    bleve0821bleve0821 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited October 2016
    Leaving tonight for house-hunting.  This will be interesting.

Had a meeting today with a woman who is retiring, who happened to work for the guy who's supposed to be my new co-worker.  I finally had the balls to ask, "WTH does that MEAN" when she said, "Jim's a nice guy, but" and made that annoying face.  So she opened up about how it was working with him, and well, let's just say my suspicions were right.  Also, she went on and on and on about women in the workplace here, and I'm sitting there with a shit-eating grin on my face, because DH told me it was ALL IN MY HEAD AND IT'S NOT.

Serious gender bias exists, and women are held to a much higher standard than men, and if a woman fucks up, she'll never live it down, but if a guy does the same thing, he gets a slap on the wrist.  Shit sucks, but at least I am assured I'm not being as paranoid as DH says I am.

I wish she had been my boss.  I think it would have been far more beneficial for my career.  Oh, well.

Re: What to do about the pets

We used to board our dogs, but we stopped when Toothless got sick.  We're too far away from parents to just dump and run, so now we use a local pet sitting agency and have them make home visits.

It's a little more expensive, but the dogs were alive when we got home, and there was the peace of mind that Toothless was in a familiar environment and much less stressed.

Re: Weight loss

When I do actually start making the effort to lose weight, and it doesn't IMMEDIATELY melt off, even though I know that's not how it works, I get so discouraged and find my way to the bottom of a pint of ice cream.

What has helped for me is DH made me create a spreadsheet with all my meals, including snacks, and had me plan out exactly what I was going to eat for the entire week.  Then he made me put it on the fridge.

He won't do it with me, but the accountability has made a HUGE impact.  He asks me every day if I cheated.  I had to cut out a lot of things (like the glass of wine, or the pretzels I eat like it's an addiction) to maintain 1200 calories (creeps up on me fast every.time).  So my reward is that glass of wine when I'm down a couple of pounds.

@OurWildKingdom all the hugs.  Take care of yourself.  It's probably a terrible analogy, but like they tell us on the planes, "Secure your own mask before assisting others."

"And when they use our atoms to make new lives, they won’t just be able to take one, they’ll have to take two, one of you and one of me..."
    --Philip Pullman

• Options
    edited September 2016
    @ourwildkingdom being able to recognize when you need to take a step back and focus on you is huge!  (Hugs) the girl your FW fell in love is in there, she's just being silenced by her more cynical friend. 

I have a solution for all the dog owners:  fly them to Detroit and I will dogsit all of them!!  Maybe that will teach FI for wanting to be responsible and wait until after the honeymoon to adopt!

ETA:  @atomicblonder I'm sorry, that sucks. Sexism at that blatant level in the workplace in today's age...I have no words. Did you happen to see the article about how the women in the White House created a plan to ensure their ideas were being heard?  It may be helpful to you. Basically, when a woman had an idea and was spoken over, the other women in the meeting would reiterate her point over and over again to ensure she was heard and credited for her ideas.  
  • Options
    @AtomicBlonde it's definitely not in your head. Ever. H and I work in the same field and he didn't see it until I pointed it out to him. How I would get asked to do things by male colleagues they wouldn't/didn't ask male faculty to do. That my student evaluations often contained comments about what I looked like/what I wore and the truly terrible crap they would say anonymously. He just never had to deal with it. 
  • Options
    @AtomicBlonde - I've found that even with being a manager and SME, I still have to play the engineer card to get respect from a lot of the engineering and manufacturing men that I work with - especially out in the field. My company is constantly winning awards for diversity and inclusion, but when you look at the overall breakdown in technology, engineering, and manufacturing, it's still very heavily weighted as male. 
    I get these old guys that have been working in a manufacturing plant environment for 30 years, that look at me as the annoying little purchasing girl who is telling them they can't do what they want. Once they work with me a bit, the attitude generally improves, but a lot of times I throw the engineering degree into the intro to get a faster result. I know it can be rough for the ladies who work in this type of environment daily - so best wishes with the new role. 
  • Options

H just brought me a vanilla frosty. I was eating  grapes.

I try so hard.

Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Options

I'm starting with my physical coach for dropping size (more of a bodybuilder "look strong" with a powerlifting twist) - I got the diet and base building plan yesterday and I swear the guy is messing with me to check the level of commitment because Good Heaven's to Pete!  Eating more and eating less at the same time - and I'm Hangry from the shift..

• Options

@ourwildkingdom hugs and love.

I've done that. I took FMLA time and did an outpatient intensive anxiety program, followed by another program for depression. It was one of the best things I ever did for myself and subsequently, my relationship. Really, all my relationships, not just with my H. I got the help I needed that will last me a lifetime.

You can do this. The first step is the hardest. Six months from now, you'll wonder why you waited so long to get help and see how far you've come. Not every day is a good one, but they don't all have to be bad, either. And when there is a bad day, you owe it to yourself to have the tools to power through.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards