Do call back wrong numbers? 55 votes

Yes
0% 0 votes
No
67% 37 votes
Sometimes
32% 18 votes

Re: Do call back wrong numbers?

• My boss constantly has me calling back wrong numbers to tell them they got the wrong number.  The doctor appointment wrong number I get, but the rest?
  • I have the same number for work and personal use, so yes, if it's work related I call back.
  • I was thinking more along the lines of answering unknown numbers, which I don't do. But I definitely wouldn't call a number back to let them know it was a wrong number, unless it sounded like an emergency. Same goes for wrong number text messages.
  • I have texted back wrong numbers when the text seems important. I just text "wrong number". Although I had someone call and I sent it through to my VM thinking they would hear the number and realise that they had the wrong number, nope, they left a VM requesting the same thing in the text. I then texted them back that they had the wrong phone number and to please stop calling and texting or I was blocking their number. So much for doing the right thing. 
  • Depends.
    My mum's number is similar to the number for Old Navy, so if it was in regards to that then we would call. Others it was on a situation to situation based choice.
  • I have texted back wrong numbers when the text seems important. I just text "wrong number".
    I have done this. I usually ignore wrong numbers, but there have been a couple of occasions where it sounded important and I called back to let the caller know they accidentally got me instead.  Otherwise, pffffft.
  • i have a few times when i have multiple missed calls from the same number. either leave a damn voicemail or stop calling me. 
  • I do sometimes. If they leave a message and it sounds important I will definitely call back.

@VarunaTT I love that!!!! I wouldn't be able to part with Sister Betty either.

• In wrong number stories....

My parents have had the same phone number for 32 years.  A few years ago the sheriff's department got a new number that is one digit off of there's.  They get called all times of day and night for the sheriff.  One was really awful though.  It was detective from another town following up on a child rape case.  The detective left a message with the child's name, parent names, address, nature of the crime etc.  My parents were appalled and raised a huge fuss over that.  They're outgoing message clearly indicates it's a family residence (it has their names) and not a sheriff department.
  • *Barbie* said:
    i have a few times when i have multiple missed calls from the same number. either leave a damn voicemail or stop calling me. 

A number from Freemont, MI has been calling me for at least 3-4 years. I've never answered and they've never left a VM. This will be one of life's great mysteries.
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • If it's a text, I usually text back "wrong number".  If it's a VM and sounds important, I might call back it was a wrong number or text they left a wrong number, but not usually.

I do answer any calls I get, unless I already know a number is b.s. and have blocked it anyway.  I do some gig work/mystery shopping, so it isn't unusual for me to receive calls from unfamiliar numbers.

I once got the BEST wrong number VM.  She said something like this, "GIRL, oh you best not be ignoring me.  You KNOW I saw you at the club last night with MY MAN.  What the bleepity bleep were you doing with him?!?  I am going to beat your a** the next time I see you, B***H."  I didn't call her back, lol.  I didn't want even the smallest part of THAT drama!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • i got a wrong number text that asked me about going golfing that weekend. i responded that i only golf when there's a windmill or a pirate theme. DK was somehow annoyed that the conversation was continuing. i have no idea if this person thought their friend was just screwing with them or was just playing along. i eventually just blocked them.
  • when MIL got her first smartphone (like 2 years ago), they gave her a new number. apparently someone had been using her number on an adult hookup site because she started getting a bunch of random sexts and dick pics from some guy named Andre. she never responded, and they kept coming (the pics, not the dicks). she also had no clue how to delete them, so asked me to help when we visited. (I did, but because i'm evil, i also forwarded one of the pics to DK and one of his sisters, first. DK was sitting on the other side of the room when he opened the message, and his reaction was epic.)

MIL got more random dick pics from a few other people, and then Andre decided to call one day. BIL answered the phone and told the guy to stop sending pictures of his junk to a 68yo woman. 

MIL changed her number after that.
  • For my birthday one year when I was out and tipsy, I got a wrong number sext from some guy so I let one of my friends take over my phone. A good time was had by all. It took him about 20 minutes to realise I wasn't who he thought I was, or actually who all 5 of us were. 
  • When I was in college, I kept getting voicemails from an elderly sounding man telling someone named Larry that he wanted his money back.

"Larry, you still owe me money. Give me my damn money back!"
    "Larry, damnit, call me back. I want my money!"

I probably got 10 of these. My name was listed on the voicemail recording (and isn't Larry). I even answered a few times and told him I wasn't Larry.

Finally, I called the number back one day and it was the front desk at a nursing home. Apparently one of their guests had been sneaking out of his room when no one was at the desk to harass Larry about the money he owed him.

The calls stopped then. I still wonder sometimes if he ever got his money from Larry (and if Larry was, in fact, a real person).
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I have called people back or text to tell them it's the wrong number.  

For the last 4 years, about once a quarter DH gets a collect call from Angola Prison in Louisiana.   He doesn't answer, but thinks it's funny.  He even added them as a contact.  It's something like "LA Prison system - do not answer".     

DH gets another wrong number pretty regularly.   He added them as a contact "Looking for Bob".   He never answers it either.

DH has some creative contacts.  I'm  "The Wife".   One co-worker's contact was "it's raining and Sails is busy, need help NOW".   Sails was one if his restaurants and this person only called when it was raining and cried wolf that she was slammed.  Most of the time she wasn't.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • I don't answer random numbers that call my cell.  If they leave a voicemail I will call them back and let them know that their message didn't get through to the person they were trying to reach.  If there is no voicemail I just ignore it.
  • I will sometimes contact wrong numbers back, but usually don't.

The phone at my parent's shore house is one of the oldest landlines phone numbers on the island.  My grandma actually used to rent the rotary phone that was in the house for the longest time.  We finally got rid of the rotary in the early 2000s.  Anyway, the phone number would resemble something of a business phone number.  For many years, it was a digit off from a local radio station.  We would get calls when they would have contests, "Did I win?" 

Even after we got rid of the rotary and added an answering machine, people would leave messages on the machine about the contests.  I remember this one time an old man called and left a message stating what song was playing, BUT did not leave any information to get back to him even if he won!  The radio station must have folded because we haven't received a call in about 10 years now.

My friend's parents phone number was one digit off from a local country club.  They would get calls super early for people trying to get a last minute tee time. 

• CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited September 2016
    Many years ago, I was assigned a phone number that used to belong to "Wanda".  Wanda must have been quite a girl!  I got calls from bars at 2:00 AM, looking for Wanda.  I got calls from bill collectors looking for Wanda.  These calls went on for years.
    Now I have a number that used to belong to a business that sold maternity clothes.  They went bankrupt more than 10 years ago.  I still get calls for them!  Yes, the internet is forever.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • My parents' landline number is one digit away from a garden center. They get a lot of plant-related calls.
  • I sometimes Google wrong numbers. Never much interesting.
  • I've never had a wrong number voicemail or text. I always answer my phone even if I don't recognize the number. It might be important. Heck, my husband has called me from random phone numbers before when he hasn't had his phone with him. 

I would probably text back but not call back if I got a voicemail. If they call again and I get to it, I'll tell them it's wrong. 
  • I had a wrong number text this weekend. It read, "I am mad." I responded, "I'm sorry to hear that. Who is this?" I haven't heard back. I googled the number and we have a mutual friend in common, but it must have been a transposition on their part.
  • I don't answer #s I don't recognize and I don't call back if they leave a message. My voicemail has my name on it so if they still leave a mess that is their own issue.

Growing up our home phone number started with 888 and during that time toll free phone #s switched from only being 1-800 to including 1-888. We would get a lot of voicemails from people who didn't dial the 1 and then got our house. There was a cleaning company (or something similar) advertising for jobs and for a while we would get voicemails from people trying to apply over the phone. Our message clearly said "Hi you've reached the XYZ family" so once again no sympathy for someone who doesn't notice that the voicemail says a family name and not ABC company. 
  • My cousin this weekend sent a group text and one of the numbers was wrong. The lady said, that she was sorry, but not the person they were intending. My cousin kept talking to her. I finally had to send her a private text to stop texting that poor lady. She was nice about it, though.
  • My parent's phone number is one number off from an optometrist. They get calls all the time from people trying to change their appointment times. I think the only one they called back was an elderly woman who kept calling about her appointment. I don't understand people who would leave messages. "Hi, you've reached the Smith's!" Does not sound like a doctor's office. 

I'm still mad at SO about a random text he got one night. All it said was "are you ready for Hooooters!!!!!!" He had a stuffed owl in his room, and to this day I'm super annoyed he didn't send the person back a picture of it. It was a golden opportunity and he missed it. 

• I had a wrong number text this weekend. It read, "I am mad." I responded, "I'm sorry to hear that. Who is this?" I haven't heard back. I googled the number and we have a mutual friend in common, but it must have been a transposition on their part.
    I texted this exact phrase to FSIL last week and she didn't reply. But no response from you either. ;)
  • My cousin this weekend sent a group text and one of the numbers was wrong. The lady said, that she was sorry, but not the person they were intending. My cousin kept talking to her. I finally had to send her a private text to stop texting that poor lady. She was nice about it, though.
    Did you see this one about a wrong number in a group text?

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/family-sends-newborn-baby-text-7606001

CN - a relative  sent out a group text on a baby being born.  They had a wrong number.  The guy who got the wrong text and his cousin came to the hospital with gifts.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards