Wedding Woes

Is anyone on nextdoor?

I just joined, and the Crime & Safety section for our area is sort of laughable.

"Bench Stolen!!!"

"CARS EGGED"

"To the person that just stole my azaleas off my front lawn..."

"NEW 4 way stop sign coming"

And a whole thread about whether Zika is a hoax perpetrated by...well, it wasn't really clear, actually.  Someone, though.

I'm not complaining, I'm thankful to live in a really safe area.  (Well, safe unless you're an azalea, I guess.) It's just mildly amusing.

Oh, and one called "[Warning] Garden Thief" that turned out to be...wait for it...beavers.

Re: Is anyone on nextdoor?

• No, but I am on something called Marco Polo b/c of K. 

Damn young whippersnappers.  ;)
  • I am. I have seen a whole new side of my neighbors and am quite frankly dumbfounded.

A few days ago a lady a few streets down posted a huge picture of a hawk on her back porch. The title of the post was "HAWK???????????????", and the entire post was pretty much "Does anyone know what kind of bird this is??????????????? Is it a hawk??????? It was on my back porch"

Well here's the thing. We live in Tennessee. There are hawks everywhere. 1. how do you not know what kind of bird this is? and 2. Google is your friend.

We also had a neighbor ask if there are any local springs nearby "in case the crazies took out our power grid which would create an immediate need for water- both for drinking and other purposes" (literally her words). Like, wut??? Is this real life?

• Yes! There is an entire thread about how to turn off the notifications because someone got upset when someone else requested recommendations for a roofer. 
  • I'm having Deja Vu to that whole Harry Potter thread again. 
  • edited October 2016
    Nextdoor sounds a little like a hybrid of Craigslist and Facebook. Now I may have to check out our neighborhood.
  • I am. My neighborhood is freaking out because of an apartment complex being built. Multiple posts a week about the extra traffic, hand wringing about how the HOA didn't stop the building, why doesn't the HOA know anything, why weren't we informed, the projects are being built on their front stoop. Dude. This is suburbia, in a poor South Dallas neighborhood, calm your tits, your house isn't the Ritz either. It's apartments, not a friggin prison. 
  • I signed up to see what it's about. My neighborhood doesn't have one. But my coworker is in the HOA so I'm going to tell him about it so we can get 10 people in 21 days or it shuts down. 
  • I used to rarely check but then we had a rash of car break ins in my neighborhood and surrounding ones so I started checking there for info. Our area has almost no issues like that so it was a big deal. I also check periodically as people were giving away or selling maternity and baby stuff. 
  • I've never heard of it, but now I want to check it out.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We have one and I'm in it.  Strangely it encompasses at least 10 neighborhoods that aren't even all that close so I mainly ignore it and focus on the area facebook train wrecks/facebook groups. 
  • Dammit! It's only American! 

We do have Neighbourhood Associations in our city, but it really depends on which area of the city you live in. Some are more active than others. The one I live in is particularly active because we are close to the downtown area and we are surrounded by other active associations. 
  • So, there is one for my subdivision but we're excluded from the NextDoor boundary which is crap.

There is an existing HOA where everyone pays for street plowing in the winter.  I'm one of about 20 homes not in the HOA because we live on a road that is plowed by the county.  Well, when they set up the NextDoor they excluded our row of homes.  See, crap.
  • I'm now looking this up. I doubt my neighborhood is on there. We have a HOA, but other than occasionally hiring people to cut grass in community areas and sending out bitchy notes, I don't think they do much of anything. 
  • I remember when it was in the news for promoting racist crime reporting. The CEO has since made changes to the network because of those articles: 

http://fusion.net/story/340171/how-nextdoor-reduced-racial-profiling/
    "Marriage is so disruptive to one's social circle." - Mr. Woodhouse
  • Our local group tends to focus on lost pets, car prowls, and, lately, clown sightings.
  • i joined after this post, and have been hoping for some drama.

• *Barbie* said:
    i joined after this post, and have been hoping for some drama.

Me too. So far the most exciting thing was a bank robbery.
  • *Barbie* said:
    i joined after this post, and have been hoping for some drama.

I did too. Nothing except someone needing a plumber.
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Dang nothing for my neighborhood.  :/
  • i'll post some of the baby stuff for sale - maybe i'll have some takers. 
  • We actually had a bank robbery a few hours ago. Schools were on lock down (I'm sure that made the kids afraid of clowns feel good) and yet the only thing on next door was a feee set of miniblinds
  • Our nextdoor is boring AF. The neighborhood FB group is more interesting.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards