Wedding 911

Need help! Disclaimer: TMI

Soooo...I'll most likely be getting my period the day before my wedding next month. I have a Mirena IUD and I'm one of the few that still gets my period with it. Do you know of any options for me to skip it? I know with the pill you can skip the placebo week. I really don't want to have my period on my honeymoon (for obvious reasons, but I also don't want to deal with the cramps and bloating!) Any and all suggestions are appreciated!

Re: Need help! Disclaimer: TMI

• Soooo...I'll most likely be getting my period the day before my wedding next month. I have a Mirena IUD and I'm one of the few that still gets my period with it. Do you know of any options for me to skip it? I know with the pill you can skip the placebo week. I really don't want to have my period on my honeymoon (for obvious reasons, but I also don't want to deal with the cramps and bloating!) Any and all suggestions are appreciated!
    I think most people still get a least a little spotting with the Mirena, I know I still get a period it is just shorter/lighter. You should talk to you doctor about what options you have, but as far as I am aware there is no way to skip your period with an IUD, save taking it out and getting started on the pill. 
  • Soooo...I'll most likely be getting my period the day before my wedding next month. I have a Mirena IUD and I'm one of the few that still gets my period with it. Do you know of any options for me to skip it? I know with the pill you can skip the placebo week. I really don't want to have my period on my honeymoon (for obvious reasons, but I also don't want to deal with the cramps and bloating!) Any and all suggestions are appreciated!
    The only way would be to switch to birth control pills at this point. Some doctors will allow you to take the pills along with the IUD, and that can sometimes do the trick. I personally wouldn't do that, but I encourage you to speak to your doctor if this is your goal. My hunch is that you will not be able to skip your period.

• edited October 2016
    Go on the pill. You can completely skip over your period - that's what happens when you skip the placebo week - you start your new pack, so no period. It doesn't just delay it to the next week. 

ETA: My gyno told me that this was safe to do for up to 3 months in a row. 
  • I would seek the advice of a medical professional before you decide to do anything!!!!!!!

That being said, I am unaware of a way to skip periods with an IUD, but I do know of birth control pills that allow you to skip...although it sucks, at least you know your body is healthy and doing what it is supposed to do.

• Go on the pill. You can completely skip over your period - that's what happens when you skip the placebo week - you start your new pack, so no period. It doesn't just delay it to the next week. 

ETA: My gyno told me that this was safe to do for up to 3 months in a row. 
    This. One thing to note though is some people still get some spotting/light period on the first few days when they would have gotten their period the first time they do this (skip the placebo). So if you do this, do it the month before your wedding as well. At least that's what my gyno told me. 
  • If your wedding is in a month I wouldn't even consider starting the pill as an option, for some people it can take up to 3 months for the pill to regulate their period and many get breakthrough bleeding if they skip the placebo week in those months. You should talk to your doctor about it, but it's not guaranteed that you'd skip it and avoid all the side effects that come from adjusting to new hormones in whatever pill you choose. Plus, you're on the hormonal IUD, so there might be further complications when it comes to how easy you adjust to a pill.
    This. I think it's nuts to consider changing your birth control a month before the wedding- not only could you definitely still end up having your period on the big day due to breakthrough bleeding but the change in hormones could lead to breakouts, weight gain, mood swings etc (all the stuff you definitely don't want on your wedding day, haha). Honestly I'd be wary of even doubling up on BC for those reasons- any time you are changing the hormones you're putting in your body you run the risk of all those side effects. 
  • Ahh, I didn't read that your wedding is NEXT month. I thought you had more time to work with. Honestly, I'd just deal. It's not the end of the world. I'd venture to guess that a doctor would maybe tell you the same. 
  • Stress does crazy things to the body!  You may not even have to worry about it, or it may even come early.  The reality is, yes, it sucks, but you aren't the first and you won't be the last bride to ever deal with this situation.   Sure, having your period over your honeymoon isn't ideal, but at the end of the day, your relationship is based on more than intercourse.  This is something that you likely should have been talking with your care team about six months or more ago.  At the end of the day, it's all going to work out!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards