Wedding Woes
Options

Thursday

Let's kick things off with this gem:

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/more-unearthed-footage-trump-says-of-10-year-old-i-am-going-to-be-dating-her-in-10-years/

In an “Entertainment Tonight” Christmas feature in 1992, Trump looked at a group of young girls and said he would be dating one of them in ten years. At the time, Trump would have been 46 years old.

The video, released Wednesday evening, was shot at Trump Tower.

In the clip, Trump asks one of the girls if she’s “going up the escalator.” When the girl replies, “yeah,” Trump turns to the camera and says: “I am going to be dating her in 10 years. Can you believe it?” 

Aside from that, we're up to what, three accusations of sexual assault?  I'm trying to keep up, but it's not easy.  You reap what you sow, y'all. 

In other, far less revolting news, it is Thursday.  I will try to post today's Prudie in mrs.conn's absence before my long cycle of 11:00-3:00 meetings ramps up.  Got my flu shot at work, bright and early. 

Also, we had two actual woes posted recently!  How about that?

Re: Thursday

• Options
    Eesh.  Every time I think we have reached the lowest level of Trump scum, we get some new revelation.  It boggles the mind.

I found out I didn't get the job I interviewed for before my trip.  It was supposed to be an added head count thing, and they wound up deciding against bringing another person on at all.  So...I guess I'm happy that I didn't lose out to a different candidate?  But also confused and frustrated?  Blerg!
  • Options
    Oh my Thursday.  IDK what Caribou put in my tea, but it's fu-REAKING me out like I drank a dozen cups of coffee.

Toothless kept me up most of the night, and drove DH to sleep on the couch, because his breathing sounds so horrible.  It sounds like his lungs are swimming in fluid, although his breathing rate is normal and there's no sign that he's not getting enough oxygen, so he's going in for chest x-rays this evening.  I am praying the vet tells me it's just a medication tweak and that he's not back in heart failure, because we simply cannot afford to take him to the 24-hour vet for overnight observation and IV treatment and EKGs out the ass.  I will, anyway, if they tell me to, but $$$.

On top of THAT, we're potentially looking at losing our earnest money deposit, because our lender can't seem to get an appraiser out to the house before our due diligence period ends.  It's been almost 2 weeks.  And our lender is all, "Oh, well, there's a contingency in your contract that you can't lose your earnest money if there's an issue with the appraisal."  BITCH NO THERE ISN'T.  So, obviously, I am really hesitant about dropping $1k on a home inspection (because DH HAS to have the water quality "test" performed, which is 1/3 of the cost of the inspection--sometimes I just want to hit the man with a shovel) if we can't get the appraisal before next Friday.  Because that's several thousand just POOF if there's something wrong with the appraisal.  And the last thing we want to do is go back and negotiate with the seller again about extending due diligence.

And we still haven't locked in a rate (although hopefully that will be done today).

Ugh.

And on the work-side of life, I have been nonstop since I got here at 5:45.  I am effectively balancing two jobs now, with responsibilities to my current department and my new department.  At least I'm busy.

And then there's this weekend.... Oh, there is not enough wine in the world.

At least it's not all tumbling around in a giant, hairy mess in my head anymore.  Bins, bins, bins.

"And when they use our atoms to make new lives, they won’t just be able to take one, they’ll have to take two, one of you and one of me..."
    --Philip Pullman

• Options

I was so excited to see two actual woes posted! Particularly happy also that they were valid concerns and not "omg my family/friends don't want to talk about my wedding 24/7 and someone had the nerve to get PREGNANT in my wedding year! Can you believe it? How to I tell these people that I'm speshul and if they can't accept that they are out of my life?"

I'm sorry you didn't get the job @SaintPaulGal. That is so disappointing!

Today is good, but I woke up thinking it was Friday. One of DH's friends has decided to come stay at our house this weekend, which is DH's last weekend at home before he leaves. DH did ask if it was ok before he told him yes or no, and I did say it was, but I'm thoroughly regretting it now. Oh well.

I do have to say it doesn't help any that this person has been very vocal about supporting Trump on Facebook and is posting "all men talk like that" statuses every 5 minutes. I'm going to have a hard time not shaving his eyebrows off in his sleep or something.

• Options
    Slate is now keeping a running tally @Heffalump so we can all keep track of Trump's accusers... 

http://www.slate.com/blogs/xx_factor/2016/10/12/trump_sexual_assault_allegations_the_floodgates_are_open.html

I'm giving exams today, so its an easy day at work. H is leaving for the hunting camp this weekend and I have to work an open hours Saturday, so pretty boring weekend for me. 

Also, Day 4 of no Facebook is glorious. I haven't had to deal with any Trump supporters and my mental health is far better for it. 

Sorry about the job @SaintPaulGal, that stinks. 
  • Options
    I was off yesterday, so after feeding the kitters I went back to bed until 9am - which was when people said they could come to bring BBQ - and luckily my mum called because my freakin phone didn't make a sound for my alarm! Did some cleaning and just as my mum was almost at my place, BBQ people came. Perfect! Didn't entirely want to stay home all day.

Ate breakfast, watched "This is Us" with my mum, then we headed out. Saw a few stores neither of us had visited before {my new place is in a new neighborhood and even though we've been in area before, haven't browsed everything}
    Found great chocolate place, which gave us xmas ideas. Dollarama, Arby's for lunch, then another store. I ate way too much!

Headed home and H was home not long after me. We lost a battery charger so we can't put bed together. He's going to ask to borrow his stepdad's drill so we can get it done.

Tonight is groceries. Tomorrow going out with a friend for belated bday dinner, and Saturday we get our washer/dryer :) I have backlog of laundry, so I'll be glad to get that done.
  • Options
    Heffalump said:
    Slate is now keeping a running tally @Heffalump so we can all keep track of Trump's accusers... 

http://www.slate.com/blogs/xx_factor/2016/10/12/trump_sexual_assault_allegations_the_floodgates_are_open.html

Did you ever think that in your lifetime, a separate web page would be required in order to keep track of the sexual assault allegations against a presidential nominee?

Call me naïve, but I did not.

Nope, that is a new low. 

Sadly, I'm sure I've said that about a number of things in this presidential cycle. 
  • Options
    OH! Forgot to mention!
    My wedding shoes were black patent Christian Louboutins .... since I still wanted to wear them, I opted to bring them to work.

Yesterday afternoon, my coworkers text me saying that if I want my shoes back they demand cookies.
    Welp ... no cookies but I did hostage negotiations with them and brought pie. LMFAO

Shoes are safe. I had to make pie anyways lol
  • Options
    I forgot to pack my kid a lunch today. That about sums things up. 

I wonder about bout early voting.  Not like day before, but people voting now.  Do they really not consider that something big might happen between now and then?  Also, what happens if trump would step down?  Does pence get the nomination?  What happens to the votes castedo for trump?  Do they just go to pence?  Not get counted?  Someone that paid attention in social studies help a girl out.
  • Options
    I'm at home today with a nasty stomach bug. H feels fine so it can't be what I ate.

I'm doing laundry and our dryer is making horrible noises. I really need this thing not to die. 

A fence guy is coming out tonight to give us an estimate.  In 7 years with our dog, we've never had a fence and we've always had to walk her on a leash every time she went out. Having a fence will be the best thing that ever happened to us.

As a republican in a very republican family, I'm avoiding talking any politics and honestly even listening to new info on Trump. I knew all I needed to know a long time ago that I couldn't vote for him. I'm hoping my family is listening to all this new bullshit and really think about what this could mean. 
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Options
    You'll love having a fence @ShesSoCold. When we first put Charlie in the backyard with no leash he acted like he had been freed from prison. 
  • Options
    Heffalump said:

Did you ever think that in your lifetime, a separate web page would be required in order to keep track of the sexual assault allegations against a presidential nominee?

Here's Michelle Obama's take, http://www.vox.com/2016/10/13/13271166/michelle-obama-trump-speech
  • Options
    You'll love having a fence @ShesSoCold. When we first put Charlie in the backyard with no leash he acted like he had been freed from prison. 

Agreed!  I have a large backyard -- for a city.  Probably tiny to suburb or country folks.  But it is fully fenced in.  My pupper-girl can go out and play as much as her little heart desires and she loves it.  She's small enough we don't even have to take her on walks, though we do about 1-2x a week because she loves those too.

Amusing side note.  We usually walk her to a local coffee place.  In our household, we now have to spell the word "coffee".  Because now she associates it with walks.  My H can't pick up his coffee travel mug for that store, without sending her into an excited tizzy.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

I woke up this morning and asked H if it were Friday.  So that's always a good start to the day.  I think I'm just on a downward slide for the week since the highlight will obviously be my friend's visit.

Vacation is less than a month away and it can't come soon enough.  I just have the blahs that can really only be fixed with a good vacation and quality H time!

• Options
    short+sassyshort+sassy member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited October 2016

@SaintPaulGal, I'm sorry to hear about the job!  Hopefully it will come open again and they will call you first!

@AtomicBlonde, are you all worried about the appraisal?  I'm assuming your agent gave you all comps.  If you're not worried about it appraising, I'd just get the inspection ordered and done within the due diligence period.

What water quality test are you all having done?  There are a lot of those kinds of tests that can be ordered "over the counter" and done yourself pretty cheaply.  I've actually never heard of one for a home inspection, but different areas of the country have different "issues".  For example, in NOLA, you HAVE to have a termite inspection if you're financing.  Because that's a big problem here.

Another way to keep inspection costs down is not have a "full" inspection.  For example, when I do inspections for my rental properties, I pay $125 for him to just check the basic systems.  Roof, foundation, HVAC, electrical and plumbing...with those last two usually not being available anyway because I'm buying a foreclosure and utilities are turned off.  Basically, just check the stuff that would be really expensive to fix.  I don't need 1,000 details and 100 pics, lol.

In my area, a full inspection runs $400-$500.  So does an appraisal.  I always do my inspection first and then have the appraisal run, but then I'm also never worried about it because I'm fortunate to be able to pretty easily buy below comps where I live.

Oops, forgot to mention.  You can always have your agent write up an addendum to the PA in order to give you all more time for your due diligence and hope the seller signs it.  Most will so as not to lose the deal, especially if you all have shown it's the bank and not you all dragging your feet. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    @short+sassy, the basic inspection is in that $400-500 range, but it's private well water so H wants the extra well "inspection" with full water quality test. This county apparently has higher than average well water issues, but w/e. I grew up on well water, I'm fine. He's a complete basket case and sometimes it's infuriating. Last year, we paid $$$ for a radon test that I could have done with a home kit for a fraction, solely because he's paranoid. He's the same way with expiry dates.

We are also getting a termite inspection.

There aren't (m)any comps in the area, and we are a little concerned about the appraisal because of that. Our realtor is the one who recommended we get the appraisal first, then the inspections. 

We shall see.

"And when they use our atoms to make new lives, they won’t just be able to take one, they’ll have to take two, one of you and one of me..."
    --Philip Pullman

• Options
    Heffalump said:

Here's Michelle Obama's take, http://www.vox.com/2016/10/13/13271166/michelle-obama-trump-speech

The more I read, the angrier I am.

“Talk about an October surprise," [Joe] Scarborough said. "There have been a thousand triggering events that would've made sense. If I had been sexually harassed by this man, the Megyn Kelly story would've given me an opportunity."

I'm so glad that Joe Scarborough knows exactly what he would do if he were a victim of sexual assault, and believes that is also exactly how everyone else should handle it.

Delgado added that she didn’t find the women who talked to the New York Times “credible” because they reportedly support Hillary Clinton.

As opposed to supporting the man who sexually assaulted them?  You don't say.

And quite possibly the most vomit-worthy comment I have ever read from a presidential candidate:

At a rally in West Palm Beach, Florida, Donald Trump fired back against the accusations from women that he had sexually assaulted them. He said the New York Times story claiming he had assaulted a woman on an airplane was a “totally fabricated and false story.”

He seemed to imply that a People magazine reporter who accused him of kissing her against her will wasn’t attractive enough: “Take a look. You look at her. Look at her words. You tell me what you think. I don't think so.”

Because only pretty girls can be sexually assaulted, and everyone else is just looking for attention, right?  Barf, barf, barf.

• Options
    @SaintPaulGal sorry about the job.  Wine and cookies in your future!

@charlotte989875, I've slowly but surely picked off all of the racists, homophobes, misogynists etc from the page either by unfriending or unfollowing.  It made FB much more peaceful, although it didn't stop the two with Stockholm Syndrome from defending the assclown.  Also, literally laughed out loud about your dog being freed from prison.

Today has been a whirlwind.  First, cats woke us up with insane shrieking at 5am.  Another animal dared to step on our patio apparently and it caused a war.  Once the other cat ran off, they ran from door to door and window to window with their tails puffed.

I was at home, working, minding my own business when my phone told me I had to leave for a genetics appointment I forgot I had.  So my hair is 3 days dirty and in a headband - and I just got complimented on it.

The appointment went as expected - they took blood for 41 gene panels!  I was tested for BRCA (the gene most commonly linked with hereditary breast cancer) in 2010 and when I did BRCA was the only gene.  Crazy how science works.  I get the results back in 3-4 weeks.  I'd say keep your fingers crossed, but I'm not sure what I want.  A negative result could mean my family doesn't have one of the cancer genes, the gene hasn't been discovered, or all of the cancer is a freak accident - and there's no way to know the difference.  Whereas a positive result gives me real risk factors to work with.

@AtomicBlonde good luck with the house stuff, if it's not one thing, it's another!

@ShesSoCold hope you feel better!  Stomach bugs are the worst.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    I definitely did the Unfollow/Unfriend first @kimmiinthemitten, but it was people commenting, viciously at times, on things I posted. Clearly I blocked them later, but it just got to be too much. Now more time for TK!

It's also been surprising however I would check Facebook when I was bored so it's good now I'm actually searching ouT things I'm more interested in. 
  • Options
    I can't imagine how some the fb news feed are looking for you Americans :( Unfortunately I have a few Trump supporters on my fb, but they're not to the point of agreeing with the comments - so I guess there's a line. :\
  • Options
    Thanks for the support, all!  And @short+sassy, the HR rep I was dealing with was the one who told me the news, and she said she would reach out if the hiring status changes.  I think I may ask her if she thinks that is likely to happen, but I don't know if she will be able or willing to provide any real insight.  
  • Options
    *Barbie* said:
    @SaintPaulGal - you might want to check back in with HR rep early next year. I know that my company usually freezes hiring in the 4th quarter as a cost control measure. Since this was a growth position, they may open it back up next year, assuming that the need for the role is still there. If nothing else, they may have another opportunity come up, so good to keep in contact. 
    That's a great idea, and I will definitely keep in in mind.  I really hope I get the hell out of where I am before that becomes relevant, but there is only really one month of hiring left before the holidays hit anyway, so who knows.  

And honestly, where I am right now isn't THAT bad.  It's just a not the place it once was, and I am finding myself to be overly sensitive to that.  We are in this weird holding pattern where it doesn't make sense to make any new plans before the new company officially completes the purchase and takes us over, but business doesn't just stop and wait for the two parties to finalize terms and set a turnover date once and for all.  There are a few projects that desperately need to be done, but Old Company won't spend the money on an asset that won't be theirs in a few weeks and obviously New Company can't make any modifications until they are the owners of record.  And it doesn't help that New Company seems kinda shady with claims of being a SUPER GREAT PLACE TO WORK while forcing us all to sign non-compete agreements that are absurdly broad.  (I'm not actually worried about the non-compete holding up in court if it ever came to that, but the fact that they would try to keep us by force rather than enticement speaks volumes about the sort of company they are.)
  • Options
    And honestly, where I am right now isn't THAT bad.  It's just a not the place it once was, and I am finding myself to be overly sensitive to that.  We are in this weird holding pattern where it doesn't make sense to make any new plans before the new company officially completes the purchase and takes us over, but business doesn't just stop and wait for the two parties to finalize terms and set a turnover date once and for all.  There are a few projects that desperately need to be done, but Old Company won't spend the money on an asset that won't be theirs in a few weeks and obviously New Company can't make any modifications until they are the owners of record.  And it doesn't help that New Company seems kinda shady with claims of being a SUPER GREAT PLACE TO WORK while forcing us all to sign non-compete agreements that are absurdly broad.  (I'm not actually worried about the non-compete holding up in court if it ever came to that, but the fact that they would try to keep us by force rather than enticement speaks volumes about the sort of company they are.)
    We're in the midst of a lot of M&A transactions right now, so I feel your pain. I'm working on integration with one of our new companies, (and have been on their side of the fence before) so am trying to make sure it's as painless as possible. Hang in there and see how things shake out - if not, also good to have an exit strategy in mind. 
  • Options
    @short+sassy, the basic inspection is in that $400-500 range, but it's private well water so H wants the extra well "inspection" with full water quality test. This county apparently has higher than average well water issues, but w/e. I grew up on well water, I'm fine. He's a complete basket case and sometimes it's infuriating. Last year, we paid $$$ for a radon test that I could have done with a home kit for a fraction, solely because he's paranoid. He's the same way with expiry dates.

We are also getting a termite inspection.

There aren't (m)any comps in the area, and we are a little concerned about the appraisal because of that. Our realtor is the one who recommended we get the appraisal first, then the inspections. 

We shall see.

Ah!  Well water.  Thanks for the explanation.  Sometimes its hard for me to not have my "city blinders" on, lol.

Haha, radon test kits are always in the clearance area at HD and Lowe's.  As you know, no basements here, so they're useless products for the area.

Good luck with everything!  Hopefully it's all best case scenarios and the appraisal and inspections come back good, so that you wouldn't want to back out of the deal anyway.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I've been home the last two days with a sick baby. Tuesday night he was fine until we got home. Then, he vomited all over me and turned blue. We went to the ER and they tested for flu and RSV which were negative so then they did a chest x-ray and saw a bit of pneumonia. Wednesday I called the pediatrician and they said the radiologist got to look at the x-ray and he didn't have pneumonia. He just has a nasty stomach bug. He seems to be feeling better today. 
  • Options
    Sorry about the job, @SaintPaulGal and the sick baby, @DrillSergeantCat!

This weekend would have been our wedding. Fortunately I'm in a better spot than I was a few weeks ago. One of FW's Army buddies is visiting this weekend, so that will be a great diversion.

I also found a Meetup for helping professionals. The first meeting was last night, and I have a great vibe about the group and the members.

I've been working nonstop the past two days. I'm taking vacation tomorrow to . . . Clean the house. Fun times.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards