Chit Chat

Tipping question

Hey all!
Sorry to pop in and out, new job is busy busy!
I'm getting my eyebrows microbladed tomorrow ($500) - is this something one would normally tip on? How much would you think?
TIA!!

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Tipping question

• That sound horrific! I am afraid to google it. Is this a treatment performed in a spa or salon? If so, I'd go by the normal 20% rule. 
  • I second @Starmoon44.  salon/spa then yes. 

I'm googling now.  This is something I could get on board with if the price was lower....

• Yah I agree, the normal 20% for a salon service. 
  • It's actually a tattoo, so that's why I was wondering. It's done in a tattoo shop in my case.

• I don't know about tipping because I don't know what microblading is. Is it a salon service or like a doctor's office thing? Sorry for my ignorance on this - it sounds terrifying!
    *********************************************************************************

• $500 for maybe 2-3 hours of work already sounds insane to me, ya know!

• CharmedPamCharmedPam member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited October 2016
    Is this only semi-permenent?  I'm looking at local shops, and it's saying "touch ups" every few years. 
    http://www.anitasbeautymark.com/Microblading.html
    Because you'd have to go back every few years, this wouldn't really interest me.  

But as for your question, I tip tattoo artists, so I'd tip for this too.

edit: words 

• Is this only semi-permenent?  I'm looking at local shops, and it's saying "touch ups" every few years. 
    http://www.anitasbeautymark.com/Microblading.html
    Because you'd have to go back every few years, this wouldn't really interest me.

But as for your question, I tip tattoo artists, so I'd tip for this too.

edit: words 
    Yes, because it's not done with a tattoo machine, I don't think it's as deep in the skin. I think you actually should go every 6 or 12 months, but if you wait a few years you need to start over.

I've never gotten a tattoo, so I don't know what the protocol is! The woman doing it also isn't a tattoo artist, I think she only does microblading, so that's why I'm not sure where it fell! I don't want to be rude if I have to see her every six months, but geez it's high enough as it is!

Supposedly eyebrow fashions change anyway, but I don't really know, since I don't really have any to start with!

• edited October 2016
    I tip 20% for my tattoos so yes I'd tip. 

Edited because I hit send too soon. 
  • I hear you.  My eyebrows are horrible.  Right now, I'm using wunderbrow, which is a formula that *should* last 3 or so days (it doesn't).  It gives me a nice natural look but a PITA and I rarely do it.

• I think you still tip 20%, unless the person you are seeing owns the business. 
  • I think you still tip 20%, unless the person you are seeing owns the business. 
    She owns her own business as far as I can tell, but I don't know what her arrangement is with the shop. It seems she works out of two locations.

As for it sounding scary, I'm trying not to research it too much actually so I don't get freaked out!

• I tip my tattoo artist, too. So either way it sounds like she falls between salon and tattoo artist, so either way I think you should tip. 
  • luckya23 said:
    I think you still tip 20%, unless the person you are seeing owns the business. 
    She owns her own business as far as I can tell, but I don't know what her arrangement is with the shop. It seems she works out of two locations.

As for it sounding scary, I'm trying not to research it too much actually so I don't get freaked out!
    If she doesn't own the store she is working in, or that fact isn't readily apparent, I'd tip!
  • luckya23luckya23 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited October 2016
    luckya23 said:

If she doesn't own the store she is working in, or that fact isn't readily apparent, I'd tip!

• I'm sure I will tip her, I'm just not sure about another $100, YKWIM!

• Honestly, you're purchasing an expensive service, and the proper thing to do is to tip for their time and skills. It sounds like you're trying to find a loophole for not tipping properly. 
  • Honestly, you're purchasing an expensive service, and the proper thing to do is to tip for their time and skills. It sounds like you're trying to find a loophole for not tipping properly. 
    Other than the well-known loophole of being the owner? That was certainly good info to track down either way.
    Really I just need to know how much cash to get out of the ATM.

Did you really tip $100 on your last $500 service? The only place I've ever had one of those is at the mechanic!

• luckya23 said:
    luckya23 said:

What if "Jen and her partners opened East Side Ink"..... 
    The plot thickens!
    http://www.browsbyjen.com/about/
    I'd tip her 20%. Sounds like she runs a brow business out of someone else's store. 
  • luckya23 said:
    Honestly, you're purchasing an expensive service, and the proper thing to do is to tip for their time and skills. It sounds like you're trying to find a loophole for not tipping properly. 
    Other than the well-known loophole of being the owner? That was certainly good info to track down either way.

Did you really tip $100 on your last $500 service? The only place I've ever had one of those is at the mechanic!
    wait - you tip your mechanic????

• luckya23 said:
    Honestly, you're purchasing an expensive service, and the proper thing to do is to tip for their time and skills. It sounds like you're trying to find a loophole for not tipping properly. 

wait - you tip your mechanic????
    NO, but that's the only time I've spent $500 on a service!
    I mean besides at the doctor probably lol

• I always tip my tattoo artist or piercer, as well as anyone that preforms a salon service. Using that logic I would say yes you need to tip. 
  • luckya23 said:

Yes. My last tattoo was a few hundred dollars, over multiple sittings. And I tipped at each appointment, so actually I probably tipped more than 20%. Just because the service itself is expensive doesn't alleviate the need to tip the person performing service. 
  • luckya23 said:

Yeah! For cut, color, and straightening. 
  • My sister got her brows micro bladed a month or so ago. It cost her $450 and she still puts make up on them each day and they are already fading.

I would really research it more, especially since it is so expensive, semi permanent, and on your face.
  • luckya23luckya23 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited October 2016
    dyerwise said:
    My sister got her brows micro bladed a month or so ago. It cost her $450 and she still puts make up on them each day and they are already fading.

I would really research it more, especially since it is so expensive, semi permanent, and on your face.

Has she done the second treatment yet? One is done now and then a second one in 4-6 weeks. That website shows a drastic difference between the first and second treatments, although it probably doesn't show as much if you have natural eyebrows too!

I don't really have any eyebrows at all right now so there's not much to lose!

• My mom got both her eyebrows and her lipstick "tattooed" on and she loved it. I'm pretty sure hers lasted a year or two at least before she got them redone. They were pretty dark the first few days but faded quickly and looked really good.

Good luck, OP!

Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards