Wedding Invitations & Paper
Options

Invite Wording

Working on my invites... I have decided on Minted so far for the actual invite, and then I think I'm going to source my RSVP cards from Vistaprint just to save a bit of money. 

That being said, the wording on the template that I found just sounds a bit off to me... so, help!?

drid
&
mr. drid
Invite you to celebrate their wedding
together with their families
saturday may 13, 2017
at 2' oclock in the afternoon

Whatcha think?

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Invite Wording

• Options
    Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited October 2016
    The word "celebrate" should only be used if the ceremony has already taken place and what you're inviting your guests to is a post-wedding celebration on a subsequent day. (It would not be a "wedding reception" because that has to immediately follow the ceremony.)

The correct wording for your situation is

Together with their families
    Bride's Full Name
    and
    Groom's Full Name
    request the pleasure of your company
    as they are united in marriage
    on Saturday, the 13th of May
    Two thousand and seventeen
    at two o'clock
    Venue Name
    Venue Street Address
    City, State/Country

If the wedding is at a house of worship, use "request the honor of your presence" instead of "request the pleasure of your company."

Also, since weddings don't take place in the late night/early morning hours, it's not necessary to include "in the afternoon/morning/evening."
  • Options
    Jen4948 said:
    The word "celebrate" should only be used if the ceremony has already taken place and what you're inviting your guests to is a post-wedding celebration on a subsequent day. (It would not be a "wedding reception" because that has to immediately follow the ceremony.)

Bride's Full Name
    and
    Groom's Full Name
    at two o'clock
    Venue Name
    Venue Street Address
    City, State/Country

If the wedding is at a house of worship, use "request the honor of your presence" instead of "request the pleasure of your company."

Also, since weddings don't take place in the late night/early morning hours, it's not necessary to include "in the afternoon/morning/evening."
    I believe it should read:
     the pleasure of your company is requested
     at
     the marriage of
    Bride's full name
    and 
    Grooms full name
    etc.

The bolded way has the bride and groom issuing the invitation (first person) where it should be third person if B&G are hosting along with their families. Not sure about my spacing (didn't look at Crane's).
  • Options
    Jen4948 said:

Bride's Full Name
    and
    Groom's Full Name
    at two o'clock
    Venue Name
    Venue Street Address
    City, State/Country

I believe it should read:
     the pleasure of your company is requested
     at
     the marriage of
    Bride's full name
    and 
    Grooms full name
    etc.

The bolded way has the bride and groom issuing the invitation (first person) where it should be third person if B&G are hosting along with their families. Not sure about my spacing (didn't look at Crane's).
    I don't think so. "Together with their families" does not go with "the pleasure of your company is requested"/passive voice.

If the couple are hosting together with their families, they can use their names with the active voice. It's only when the couple is hosting by themselves that they need to use the passive voice with no hosts listed.
  • Options
    CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited October 2016
    Your wording breaks several rules.  The bride and groom never directly invite guests to an event that is held in their own honor.  If parents are also inviting the guests, then this wording is acceptable:

Bride's Full Name
    and
    Groom's Full Name
    Saturday, the thirteenth of May
    two thousand seventeen
    at two o'clock
    Venue Name
    Address
    City, State

This is not traditional wording.  Traditional wording would be this:

Mr. and Mrs. John Bridesparents
    Mr. and Mrs. George Groomsparents
    at the marriage of
    Bride's Full Name
    and
    Groom's Full Name
    (etc)

Your original wording does not make it clear that this is a wedding invitation.  "Celebrate their wedding" sounds like you are already married, and you are inviting people to a celebration party.  That wording will confuse your guests.

It is OK to use numerical dates if you wish, but you must be consistent.

Saturday, May 13, 2017
    at 2:00 PM

Personally, I prefer the traditional written out form.  Vistaprint has some beautiful designs, but some of their suggested wording is just wrong!
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    Thank you! The template I found on Minted is beautiful but the wording was just super wonky. This helps!! 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards